Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

New owner of LST #9302 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Eracer76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of LST #9302 !!!

I got it Monday after buying it 1 week ago! This truck is great to work on compaired to my Savage!
So far Ive pulled the engine, removed the WASHER and some metal shavings that I found, added some RTV to the back plate and carb, then I put the engine back in. I also installed the gear cover I got from ebay. Then I stole the 6v hump pack from the Savage and installed it under the tank, LOL.

I adjusted the servo savers on the steering, what a pain in the ass that was! Needless to say the little grub screws are usless because of all the damn loc-tite they put on them! I ended up taking off the servo saver and unscrewing the metal pin by flipping the servo saver over one turn at a time till I had it right.

Next on my to-do list is the shocks. It seems there is some play in them at the end of their travel? Almost like they might be missing some oil.
If I pick up the truck to just barly lift the wheels off the ground, I can feel the play in the suspension travel. Its about a 1/4" or so of play where the shocks feel like their not doing anything.

I also wanted to ask about the brakes making noise. I powered up the radio system to try out the brakes and steering, well....when I push the truck across the room and hit the brakes, it sounds like gears stripping!!!?? Is normal?
The truck does come to a stop, but it sound like gears stripping out when it does?
It sounds like its coming from the brake/trans area too.

Other then that, this truck seems great so far and I havent even started it yet, I cant wait!
Thursday will be the day I take to the indoor track to break it in, its too damn cold outside!

Thanks for any info guys!
Old 12-21-2004, 07:40 PM
wadesie93
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: New owner of LST #9302 !!!

I can tell you that when you are running it and hit the brakes you will get a clicking comeing from the diffs. They will break the case and could strip gears. Mine makes kind of any ugly noise if I just push it across the floor under no power. But it runs fine. I just ordered a CNR brake kit for mine and cant wait to get it in the truck. I have had really good luck with mine, Most of the hop-ups I have done are because I wanted to not because I had too. HAVE FUN WITH IT! It is a great truck.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:41 PM
wadesie93
My Feedback: (11)

You live in YORKVILLE!!!! where is the indoor track????????????? Jefx would like to know too. Mendota is straight west on RTE 34 about 35-40 Miles.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Johnny Ripper
My Feedback: (3)

I just got my LST 2 weeks ago #8491. Mine sounds a little rough when push it. But I think the gears just need a little time to break in and get smooth. It also sounds kinda like stripping gears when I apply the breaks too. I have a five cell 1200mah flat pack comming in the mail. At full extention of the suspention it seems like the shocks are a little low on oil.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Eracer76

ORIGINAL: wadsie93

I can tell you that when you are running it and hit the brakes you will get a clicking comeing from the diffs. They will break the case and could strip gears. Mine makes kind of any ugly noise if I just push it across the floor under no power. But it runs fine. I just ordered a CNR brake kit for mine and cant wait to get it in the truck. I have had really good luck with mine, Most of the hop-ups I have done are because I wanted to not because I had too. HAVE FUN WITH IT! It is a great truck.

Well, I dont think this is the normal drive line noise Im used to. It rolls just fine and has the normal drive line noise from the shafts, diffs, brakes and so on. The noise Im worried about is when you push the truck across the room and put on the brakes, it sounds like BAD gear stripping. This is when stopping the truck via the servo as the truck is free rolling across the room.
The sound seems to be coming from the trans or brakes themselves, not the diffs, this I know because I can push it by hand with the brakes on and my ear up to the trans and here it coming from there, LOL.

I'll have to look into it before I drive it for my own peice of mind, that and check the shock oil.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Eracer76

ORIGINAL: wadsie93

You live in YORKVILLE!!!! where is the indoor track????????????? Jefx would like to know too. Mendota is straight west on RTE 34 about 35-40 Miles.

Yep, I live in Yorkville
The track I go to is Leisure Hours. http://www.leisurehoursraceway.com/track%20infopage.htm
It is about a 45min drive from my house though [&o] But it beats being out in the freezing cold!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Hezrou

I have to agree the distressing gear grinding noise comes from the front diff under braking. I have changed to the aluminium diff cases and hey presto no more horrible noise even under heavy braking from wot.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Eracer76

ORIGINAL: Hezrou

I have to agree the distressing gear grinding noise comes from the front diff under braking. I have changed to the aluminium diff cases and hey presto no more horrible noise even under heavy braking from wot.

Well, maybe the noise is transmitting through the drive shaft and making it sound like its coming from the brakes/trans then?
I cant believe that the ring & pinion would be skipping teeth that bad right out of the box though, Im only giving the truck a swift push with my foot, then putting on the brakes with the radio/servo on. It isnt even going fast when I do this []
I guess I'll look into that also before I drive it.

Good thing I have some of those aluminum diff cases ordered already, even though they wont be in stock till the 30th!