Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Off Road Race Setups

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:25 AM
jslm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road Race Setups

Anybody that is racing off road and has any setup tips, let it fly. Diff oils, a-arms (camber settings on adj arms) caster, shock springs, shock oils, rims, tires, foam inserts, gear sets, pipes, motors, motor setups, porting, clutch setups..... Whatever tips or tricks, that are hooking you up. Post away, if you like. Please try and keep posts aimed at helping racers. (Everybody comes up with good stuff though) So... If it will help turn a faster lap. Post it up.

Me and one of my sons just picked up a couple LST's. (Thanks Mrs. Clause) There are getting to be more and more in our area now. And we just got a new track in town. So..... It looks like we're going racing again. Pretty stoked. I might add...

Just got them broken in. They are pretty stock. (Hobby shops have been closed)
Here's what we have done so far.

Added a lil fuel line and ran line under tank (fuel filter fits into spot where stock receiver pack was). Seems more tidy.

5/16" internal shock limiters.

Topped off (30 wt) and bled shocks. (lotso air in them)

Set ride height at arms level.

And are pulling the washers behind the quick start thingy. The first motor didn't have it? And 2 of the manifold to pipe springs broke during removal.

Siliconed carb to motor.

That's all we can offer for now. The shock limiter mod works good though. We left one truck stock, to compare to. And it keeps the truck alot more stable all the way around. Turning and breaking got easier, more controlled and alot less body roll front to back, and side to side. Seems noticably more planted.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Johnny Ripper
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Off Road Race Setups

Get sway bars!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:22 AM
ThermalRD

Man, my truck is dialed right now. Extremely dialed.

light sway bars (front and rear)
25wt shock oil (front and rear)
White-front/black spring-rear
Threaded bodies (adjusted to spring length, backed with preloadspacers)
XTM large series thorns, BRT1 racing tires
30k diff fluid (front and rear, half full)
Toe OUT 1.5 degree front.
Toe in 1.5-2 degree rear.

NOTICE!!! My shocks have polished pistons, and shafts. They are very smooth now. This will drastically change your setup, if your stock shocks are sticking, or have resistance from the shock body.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:49 AM
jslm

All makes sense to me. Hopefully I can get some stuff picked up and orderred some time soon. The weather sucks though. Supposed to be snowing for a few days. Thanks for the setup. Anybody else?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Nitrodesign

Just broke in My new Orion .28, taking it to the track tomorrow.

Light sway bar in fornt.
Heavy sway bar in rear.
White springs in front.
Stock springs in rear.
Set a-arms at level.

I will let You know how it works out.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:01 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

ThermalRD - what inserts are you running in your BRT1's?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:19 AM
ThermalRD

Stock XTM inserts.

ORIGINAL: marksp

ThermalRD - what inserts are you running in your BRT1's?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:37 AM
XrayRacer

I run the hot racing orange springs, hot racing jet vent pistons and shock shafts, hot racing threaded shock bodies, 30wt shock oil, changed to 50k front diff oil and 30k rear diff oil. XTM brt-1s on gunmetal pentos, 30% nitro.

Still can't get through a single day at the track without breaking cvds, a-arms, carriers and wearing out pinion gears. I have concluded that the LST does not belong at the track until there is more aftermarket chassis and suspension options.

The other trucks are slower and don't handle as well but they finish (and win) the race because they stay in one piece.

But I'm not giving up on my LST just yet!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:25 PM
RedLST

What's all the news we hear about the LST dominating all these races then?

Joe
Old 12-30-2004, 01:13 PM
XrayRacer

Well I guess if you never crash or have a bad landing and keep the truck on all 4 wheels the whole race the LST will dominate. I'm not that good I guess
Old 12-30-2004, 01:20 PM
ThermalRD

Who said the LST was dominating?
ORIGINAL: RedLST

What's all the news we hear about the LST dominating all these races then?

Joe
Old 12-30-2004, 07:01 PM
LST-UK

Thermal and LSTcrazy can i ask why you are running such heavy diff oils for racing? I will be racing next year but until the tracks open im running 30k Rear and 50K Front...not because i know what im doing.... just because its recomended for bashing. I was planning on changing to something lower before the racing season so was keeping an eye on this thread for idea's, but looking at your set ups im nearly there now.....
Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 PM
ThermalRD

In my opinion 10k and under, is soo light, it pretty much just LUBES the gears. You dont see much action from it. A few races back i decided to change my setup on the diffs. I talked with Slayden, and Drake thru PM, and e-mail. They both run heavier diff fluids. All i know is i tried the same 30k, 50% full in each truck on the same night. Both trucks had more on power steering than previously with 10k front and rear. It seems there is such a thing as TOO light, when it comes to diff tuning. As with anything, setup is "test n' tune". I've tested, tuned, and now i know what works. So im keeping the 30k diff fluid in the trucks.

ORIGINAL: LST-UK

Thermal and LSTcrazy can i ask why you are running such heavy diff oils for racing? I will be racing next year but until the tracks open im running 30k Rear and 50K Front...not because i know what im doing.... just because its recomended for bashing. I was planning on changing to something lower before the racing season so was keeping an eye on this thread for idea's, but looking at your set ups im nearly there now.....
Old 12-30-2004, 08:26 PM
XrayRacer

Heavier diff oil = great steering power like ThermalRD said. I wanted more steering power up front to pull through turns rather than the rear pushing me through them. Experiment and see what works for you but I agree 10K would be too light to have any real effect. And I fill my diffs completely but I may try just filling them half way next time to see how it feels.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
LST-UK

Thanks guys....Well if the Drakes running 30k that will be my starting point for the LST then......Ill see how ill go from there...
Old 12-30-2004, 10:17 PM
jslm

I can't wait for this crap weather to break, so I can tune and drive. 2 reasons snow sucks. 1. Can't play with r/c cars in it. 2. If you do snow removal.