Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Best Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 12:31 AM
PeteOz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Glow Plug

G'day peoples!

I'm still fairly new tot eh hobby and have only tried two glow plugs in my Mach 26. I am looking for suggestions, as I burnt one today and am running my last spare (which is a used RB #8 I think?)

THe truck is always run in 10°C-30°C and I run it pretty rich on 20% fuel, but am planning to lean it out and make it SCREAM on the next tankful.

I have been through the stock plug plus 3 others (on the 4th now) in about 6 litres, but the last one took about 3 litres to die.

What are you guys running? Anyone got a suggestion for the best plug for me to run in these conditions?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:15 AM
balsanova

Default RE: Best Glow Plug

In my opignon and i have been in r/c for over 1/4 of a century the OS A5 or R5 is a very good plug .

Yvan
Old 01-01-2005, 01:01 PM
lstmanuk

what do you think about the o'donnell monster plug? they say it works in all weather temps so you only need one plug for the differnt temps and nitro?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:15 PM
simonorsborn

I ran the plug that came in the car for about 6 tanks but it was still fine even then. I have changed it for a TMax plug now as I had a load of spares from when I had that truck. Apparantly it has the same temp range as the Losi and is the same length (so no risk of hitting the head). I've got a digital temp gauge on order so I can be absolutely sure but it certainly seems to run pretty cool.

I'm running 25% and have just recently tuned for max power (at about tank #7). I only ever run it on the high ratio now as it's just so powerful and revs out in the lower ratio too quickly. I've got the slipper set at 3/4 of a turn out and it wheelies away from standstill and then again when 2nd kicks it. This truck is awesome.

Just for your information, I idled through the 1st tank. Ran slowly through the next couple and only on the 4th did I start opening it up to about 60% throttle (but setting the Throttle EPA on the transmitter). I ran it 3.5 turns out on the HSN rather than the 2.5 it was set to out of the box. Through tanks 5 and 6 I started leaning the HSN in 1/8ths every so often. I still think I may be able to squeeze a bit more out of it.

Best of luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:46 PM
ResB

I dunno if this is any help but I read this on a website today. In summary every car appears to be different.

SELECTION OF THE CORRECT PLUG can only be made by testing and in most cases the plug that produces the highest rpm is the best choice. Other parameters to look for are:- lowest reliable idle speed; cleanest pick-up from idle having allowed time for the engine to cool; strongest mid-range pick-up and an uncritical main needle setting. HIGHLY TUNED RACING ENGINES will probably require an F2, F3 or F4. HIGH PERFORMANCE CONTEST ENGINES F3, F4 or F5. HIGH POWER SPORTS ENGINES F4, F5 or F6 and REGULAR SPORTS ENGINES F5, F6 or F7. But there are many exceptions to these suggestions, so don't be afraid to experiment - though be careful to avoid detonation when trying hotter plugs by setting the needle a little on the rich side. Two important factors that influence the choice of plug: If the NITROMETHANE content is increased significantly a colder plug will be needed if the COMPRESSION RATIO is reduced a substantially a hotter plug will be needed
Old 01-02-2005, 02:31 AM
PeteOz

I did a bit of tuning yesterday and was tearing around a bit and ruined plug number 4. I was using a #5 and switched to a #8 and it SCREAMS!!! Is this plug hotter or cooler? Maybe it just screams better than the old one caus ethe old one was about to die, but DAMN this truck flies now!