Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Pull start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:08 PM
ashnic
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull start

Is anyone using a pullstart on their LST? If so any problems?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:17 PM
slasher

Default RE: Pull start

i have used the mach 26 pull start for 2 months now whith no problems.i find it more convienient than dragging around the rotostart
Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 PM
ringneck

put one on mine cause i also got sick of carrying my drill but mine broke after three days so im back to drill start.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently bought a Mach .26 for my Tmaxx (Dynamite conversion kit) and it included a pull start for the engine. I removed the pullstart and backplate so I could get a good look into the engine and to seal it up before break-in.

Well, I couldn't get the coil spring back in correctly[:@]. I must have spent a good hour coiling and re-coiling that thing up to try and get it back together.........then it broke. The hook at the end snapped off. So screw that pull start, I'm getting a shaft starter plate for it so I can share the rotostarter between the Maxx and the LST.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:17 PM
ashnic

Want to sell your broke pullstart?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:21 PM
jefx

Do you really want it?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:31 PM
ashnic

If it's a Mach pull start and you have everything I'll take it...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 PM
jefx

Wouldn't it just be easier to go to your LHS and pick up a new (non-broken) pull start?

It's not like I'm not willing to sell it, just wondering why you'd want to buy mine?

It has everything. The coil could probably just be re-bent at the end where the hook broke off, but I'm too frustrated with it to try.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:41 AM
ashnic

Well it sounded like you were just going to chuck it...and I had the exact same thing happen to mine and I fixed it....works great..and if you wanted to get rid of it for just a couple of bucks I would buy it and have me a backup.....But your probably right be quicker just to go buy a new one...
Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 AM
LST-UK

Cant be dealing with a broken pull starts, when that spring falls out then a new pull start is required...................
Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 AM
jefx

Is there an easier way to re-coil the spring? I gave it all I had and couldn't get it back together.

My dumbarss didn't even think about the spring when I took it off. It popped out of there like one of those fake peanut cans with springy snakes in it. I jumped back a couple feet out of suprise[X(]. It was probably quite comical, if only someone else had seen it.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:55 AM
bigstu85

yeah there is an easier way to recoil the spring i got used to doing it on my gs storm when the spring kept popping out. just get the spring recoiled and get someone else to tie some cotton around the spring so it holds it together then place the hooky bit in the case and cut the cotton. then all ya have to do is place the driveing bit(cant think whats it called but it goes on the ya one way) and then re coil the pullstart string around it. its not as hard as it seems. when ya do it a couple of times it gets real easy.
stu
Old 01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
LST-UK

LOL jefex.... yea a pullstart done me once, now i always use a flat screw driver and make sure the whole pull start comes of and im not just pulling the case. Spent about an hour trying to get the spring back in. Never again it drove me insane, throw it across the room and order another one.....[:@]Its your best bett if your like me and have a short fuse.....

Try Stu's idea it might work better. I tried it with cable ties....[X(]
Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
jefx

I'm looking at the pull start, and still can't figure out how to make that idea work.

How do you get the zip tie out after you have it back together? And how do you get it back together with a zip tie in the way?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:22 PM
LST-UK

Read my post it didnt work.........you only use the zip tie to hold the spring compressed then you can drop it into the pullstart and hook it onto the case. You need to use something as your run out of fingers if trying to hold the spring compress and get the hook on. Then remove the zip tie and the spring will open in the case (hopefully) then its the last hook onto the pullstart wind.

All done..........Easy..........
Old 01-06-2005, 04:39 PM
RC_UK

Old 01-07-2005, 04:46 AM
bigstu85

best way is not to use a zip tie use cotton as it so thin u can cut it with a knife but its strong enough to hold the spring together.
stu
Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 AM
LST-UK

Yea cotton does sound alot better way of doing it.....i might of fixed mine using that way.........
Old 01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: bigstu85

best way is not to use a zip tie use cotton as it so thin u can cut it with a knife but its strong enough to hold the spring together.
stu

What do you mean "cotton"?

A cotton ball?......Q Tip?......String?......T shirt?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:24 PM
LST-UK

Havnt you fixed it yet jefx?.........

Cotton thread....
Old 01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: LST-UK

Havnt you fixed it yet jefx?.........

Cotton thread....

No, I took the starter plate from the LST and put it on the Tmaxx for now.

My buddy's mom rents out an old Kohl's department store (it's enormous) from the mall by my house. They run Rockford Sreamfest (Illinois' largest indoor haunted house) in it, but it's only open for October. We get to use it for indoor R/C driving whenever we want for the rest of the year. So I'm taking that opertunity to break-in my new Mach .26 (in the Tmaxx).
Old 01-07-2005, 05:49 PM
bigstu85

jefx, just for you i took my pullstart apart and took some pics while putting back together:

get spring and recoil, easy way is to hold centre and just turn it round and round with other hand while keeping it real tight aswell, u wanna end up with it smaller than the pullstart case. once that is done rap some cotton thread around the coil and slowly let go if the spring starts to uncoil it self obviously tie more nots and rap the cotton round more.

then once u have that done carefully put it in the case and make sure the hook is in its slot.

then while pressing on the coil cut the cutton with a nife and slowly let it uncoil to the outside of the case. almost forgot if any of the cotton gets stuck dont try pulling it out as u will pull the coil out and have to start all over again. if u leave it in when the spring moves it will automatically free the cotton.

then slot the peace that connects to ya one way into its sloton the spring(easier said than done) and recoil the cord around it untill u get to the end when u have to turn the peace that connects to ur one way while putting the cord round it. when u le go ot the peace the spring pulls the cord in and gives u a pullstart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14758.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	211871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29339.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	211872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36573.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	211873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16354.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	211874   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44046.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	211875  
Old 01-08-2005, 03:32 PM
jefx

Thank you very much for the pics and info!

I have been able to get the spring coiled up and placed neatly inside the case. Then I have been able to get the string wrapped around the pulley.

My problem keeps happening when I try to get the pulley reattached to the center hook of the spring. It never lines up correctly, and the hook is also off center, making it virtually impossible to reattach.

I guess the next solution is to bend the center hook (while the spring is coiled) so that it sits directly in the center so that the pulley will be able to seat itself over it when I put it back in.

I noticed that in your picture, the center hook of the coil spring is bent differently than mine. Did you re-bend it to make re-installation easier?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:48 PM
bigstu85

no that was how it was i havent bent it purposfully to make it easier but its still a pian in the @rse to get it in. i was able to just wiggle it and it goes in ok. r u ravelling the cord before trying to put it in if u r it wont line up correctly as the pullstart keeps tension on the cord even when there is nothing pulling on it.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:37 PM
icenutz

JUST BUY A NEW ONE, THEN, WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING SWITCH IT WITH THE BROKEN ONE AND SAY - "LOOK I FIXED IT!!!"

GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW HOW MY IDEA GOES.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.