Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

What do I need??? Broken everything$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 12:27 PM
motoman2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need??? Broken everything$$$$

I have never ever had any kind of rc vehicle before. I have always wanted one....so I went shopping. I looked on the net and at the local shops. Learning everything I could. I wanted a monster truck, I figured they would take the most abuse. Anyway, I bought a losi lst. I waited 2 weeks to get it, bought 100$ in fuel, batteries, etc to run the truck. Very excited!!! I broke the truck in, keeping it around 225 degrees idling for 3 tanks. Then shorts burst of throttle for the next 5 tanks. Still very excited to run the new purchase!!

Now that I have had it out of the garage I have burnt about 3/4 of a tank. This truck is a blast!!!!

HERE IS THE DEAL THOUGH...I have a brokin a arm, front diff, tie rod, spindle, and the bearing carrier. I here how tough these trucks are, watch the videos of your bashing. I have not jumped my truck, or crash it at all and mine is in pieces. Is this a narmal thing for this hobby??

Now, I have ordered aluminum top and bottom a-arms, shock towers, and bulkheads. I have ordered a roll cage also. I need to know where to get aluminum tie rods and tie rod ends. I would also like to have aluminum spindles and bearing carriers. Also, the aluminum diff cases. Maybe axles too. Where do you guys get these hope up parts?? Websites please?? I want my truck to where it is not going to have these problems everytime I run it. I dont mind spending the money, its just flaming me that I have a truck I cannut use.

Any help would be great. If I am missing anything I should buy that is going to break, tell me. Thanks.

I may have a lst for sale very cheap soon.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:32 PM
SCHLEPP
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What do I need??? Broken everything$$$$

If you didn't crash it how did all that stuff break? I ran my LST into a tree to break my control arms, my bad. I don't believe the LST is so fragile as to break just sitting there! Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Pinolelst

"HERE IS THE DEAL THOUGH...I have a brokin a arm, front diff, tie rod, spindle, and the bearing carrier. I here how tough these trucks are, watch the videos of your bashing. I have not jumped my truck, or crash it at all and mine is in pieces. Is this a narmal thing for this hobby?? "

[sm=lol.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Tim29

What roll cage have you ordered, I am looking for one my self.

Thanks

Tim
Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM
sk8ingsailor

REally how did all that break with no jumps or crashes.
I have 5 pair of arms on hand in case I break any. I would rather use plastic than al due to the cost. I would be upset if I bent an al arm. If you want to jump higher and further than anyone else, then should get an 1/8 scale buggy. I have a Lightning and for the money you can't beat it. I will try to get some LST Action pics up today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66388.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	212738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60115.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	212739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57795.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	212740  
Old 01-09-2005, 04:00 PM
danedelman
My Feedback: (25)

If it is cold where you are sometimes you only need a little hit and it will break the plastic but that is a lot for just a little hit. I did the same when my buddy's Revo ran into my lst going about 10 mph and broke and arm but that is all I broke. I also broke one when I hit a cynder block at full speed and caught the front tire.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:37 PM
greig

Kinda real strange to me perhaps your little brother has been borrowing your truck when you are not home..... you gotta hit something HARD to break this thing. The damage you report cant happen from normal driving.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:37 PM
motoman2003

I logged on to this site today thinking that I could get some good info from you guys. The first few replies are nothing but degrading, insults trying to be smart tward me.... Its is very cold, about 30 degrees outside. I was driving the truck in an area that has been cleared and leveled for a new building. All dirt, very bumpy surface. I did not jump the truck or have it on its roof one time. The damaged a arm was the first break. I repaired the damage and went for a second run. I hit the brakes and the truck made a clicking sound. That is when the right rear spindle broke and tie rod was bent when it went on to the ground. I noticed the diff housing had a crack the next day. Is all of this just from the cold weather? I still need to know where to buy aluminum spindles and carriers. Any good advice is nice. Thanks. I have order a New Era roll bar.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Defiance

You may have hit the nail on the head....cold weather.
I noticed some air pockets in the casting of my "broken a-arms", so i'm sure they are all not perfect, not to mention the same.
I broke 2 a-arms so far, both at over 35mph. One ran into a 55 gal barrel, other ran into a s-10 pickup rear tire.
s-10 wreck broke my truck in half right behind the steering servos.
I might also note, if a revo spins out in front of you, , you can take out his drive shaft, a-arm, and tie rod with out any damage to your lst .
So yes, stuff breaks, matter of luck involved sometimes, bad parts, cold weather, hit at right spot....ect...
If you buy aluminum parts it will help, but if you hit something hard, it will break.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Old 01-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Defiance

Was going to show you guys pics of my broke in half truck in last message...but they didn't load.
Guess I will have to go read up on how to do that... []
Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: motoman2003

I logged on to this site today thinking that I could get some good info from you guys. The first few replies are nothing but degrading, insults trying to be smart tward me.... Its is very cold, about 30 degrees outside. I was driving the truck in an area that has been cleared and leveled for a new building. All dirt, very bumpy surface. I did not jump the truck or have it on its roof one time. The damaged a arm was the first break. I repaired the damage and went for a second run. I hit the brakes and the truck made a clicking sound. That is when the right rear spindle broke and tie rod was bent when it went on to the ground. I noticed the diff housing had a crack the next day. Is all of this just from the cold weather? I still need to know where to buy aluminum spindles and carriers. Any good advice is nice. Thanks. I have order a New Era roll bar.
Oh the drama

Sorry friend but read what you posted again and tell me it makes sense that your truck is in pieces due to just driving along .I for one am glad to help anyone I can but I also try to keep a sense of humour about it all. Your truck did not fall apart by itself.Maybe cold weather contributed ..things get brittle in extreme cold and maybe you hit some rocks or frozen dirt clods at speed causing brittle failure of your a-arms or knuckles and it cascaded from there.
New Era for the knuckles I believe but you don't want aluminum tie rods (spindles??) as they'll bend easy.If you must uopgrade go titanium
Old 01-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Carnutz68

Here try this link, if i find more ill post them...
You might have got the truck i allways get, it could have had defective parts before you opened the box. Sometimes factorys do mess up.
Good Luck

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Search/Res...&CurrentPage=1
Old 01-10-2005, 07:00 PM
motoman2003

Thanks for the link. I bought the upper and lower a arms in aluminum and some plastic ones. The spindles and carriers are out of stock at dynamite for a while. I bought some tie rod ends. I some factory spindles and carriers. I have the bulk heads shock towers and roll bar also on the way. Do you know of any aftermarket alloy diff cases?? I would like to have some. I bought a pull start, my truck was missing a starter part out of the box. I guess I should remove that washer from the engine too. If anyone has a link or info for diff cases and alloy tie rod ends let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Pinolelst

aluminum diff cases in stock: http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=32822

titanium tie rods in stock: http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=33643

8mm aluminum tie rods in stock : http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=34858
Old 01-10-2005, 07:13 PM
SCHLEPP

Nitrohouse has the alloy diff cases, they also have Lunsford titanium turnbuckles, I'm not sure about the rod ends. Good luck
Old 01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
SCHLEPP

Pino beat me to it but still not the actual ends, just the turnbuckles. Who makes the ends?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Pinolelst

These ??

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=32144
Old 01-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Johnny Ripper
My Feedback: (3)

Hey pinolelst your advtar is driving me cRaZy! Put something RC related and I will be pleased.[8D]
Old 01-10-2005, 08:12 PM
SCHLEPP

Those ends aren't alloy like he asked for. I'm curious now, who makes aftermarket ends?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Pinolelst

I haven't seen them nor do I believe they'd work to be honest.Not in the typical way at least as the ball end has to deform somewhat to allow the ball to sit in the concave inner perimeter.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
SCHLEPP

I've seen some aftermarket titanium ends for the T-Maxx that screw onto the turnbuckle and have the ball and the stud that goes thru the steering arm with a nut under the arm. Replaces the pivot ball completely. Chances are not for the LST though. Yet!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Sgt. Canada

I also broke one when I hit a cynder block at full speed and caught the front tire.
Yeah. I have an OFNA Titan and I was over at my buddie's place. I was just bashing around when my depth perspective went all goofy and hit a cinder block going 25 mph dead center on the right front wheel. My steering rod end broke, so we used crazy glue and medical tape to hold the rod end onto the steering thingy and it worked like a charm
Old 01-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Sgt. Canada

I was pretty funny
Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Carnutz68

No problem glad to help, your probally lucky you was able to get the parts you did with the christmas rush...
Old 01-11-2005, 05:50 AM
PeteOz

ORIGINAL: Sgt. Canada

I also broke one when I hit a cynder block at full speed and caught the front tire.
Yeah. I have an OFNA Titan and I was over at my buddie's place. I was just bashing around when my depth perspective went all goofy and hit a cinder block going 25 mph dead center on the right front wheel. My steering rod end broke, so we used crazy glue and medical tape to hold the rod end onto the steering thingy and it worked like a charm
I landed hard on the left front wheel and completely snapped it off...both a-arms and tie rod (turnbuckle) right where it screws into the plastic end. I cut the plastic back about 3mm so I could get to the steel, then grabbed it with a needle nosed pliers and screwed it out. I had no spares, so I fired up my arc welder and set it to 40 amps with the smallest rods I had, and welded it back together. Held like brand new! Ran it for about 5 tanks, then the new ones arrived so it's now a spare. Here's a pic, It ain't pretty, but then YOU try arc welding something that small... Gas welding would have been a lot prettier and easier, but I don't have an oxy/acet setup (yet)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56853.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	213555