Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

mach .26 con rod through the crankcase...

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

mach .26 con rod through the crankcase...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:34 PM
kevinb456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mach .26 con rod through the crankcase...

yep, you heard right. ive only ever seen one picture of it happen before, and it made me cringe. so seeing it in person nearly gave me a heart attack.

i was running it with a freind (well it was actually him who was driving at the time [:@] ) in a big open field, doing alot of WOT passes. then just half way through one it cut out and when i went to inspect the truck i found it (pic below).

i REALLY dont know what caused it. the only two things i can think of are either WOT for too long, or too lean (?). but i would have though these engines would be designed to handle WOT, it wasnt like it was in my hands or anything, it did have suffiecient load (i could understand if it was on a bench). and similarily, i thought i was reasonably good at tuning engines (not expert, but not as bad enough as to blow the engine up!).

please please help me lol! not just for this situation (is there any chance in hell this would be under warranty?) but mainly for the next time - what can i do to stop this happening next time?? what caused this?

thanks for your time... and i hope you enjoy the picture, i know i didnt lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44426.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	222213  
Old 01-29-2005, 01:54 PM
ResB

Default RE: mach .26 con rod through the crankcase...

Sorry for being a noob, but what do you mean by WOT passes. Tryna work it out and my heads a shed...lol..

I have never seen that b4, even on bikes. I'm not suprised it cut out! As far as warranty goes who knows, but give it a try. Nothing to lose. What is going to be a bummer is waiting and being off the road for a while...[]
Old 01-29-2005, 01:56 PM
e-normus-1

WOT= wide open throttle
Old 01-29-2005, 01:58 PM
ResB

ORIGINAL: e-normus-1

WOT= wide open throttle
Thanks....lol
Old 01-29-2005, 02:08 PM
ThermalRD

How long were your WOT passes? Man, thats amazing. I've never seen a con rod go THRU the case like that. Warranty? Not a chance. I mean, there might be a slim chance in hell, but do you really feel Team Losi owes you a motor? Look at it as an opportunity to put in something nicer. Motors dont last forever anyway.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:23 PM
MadRCPilot77

Running WOT can produce results like this - I'd guess the failure to be more related to materials in this situation, but send it in for service. First thing is to remove the engine from the truck and take off the entire clutch and the Spin Start backplate. Send the engine along with a copy of your sales receipt to:

Horizon Service
Attn: Engine Services
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822

Also include a note with your name, address, daytime contact number and a description of how the product failed. You may also simply print and fill out our Service & Repair Center Checklist found here:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/media/pd...rchecklist.pdf

We recommend using a shipper that has package tracking options - **ALWAYS RETAIN TRACKING INFORMATION FOR YOUR RECORDS!!**

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any other questions, please call Horizon Product Support at 877-504-0233.

Thanks,
Matt Snyder
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby Distributors
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
877-504-0233
[email protected]
Old 01-29-2005, 02:40 PM
lstmanuk

in the uk we have to send it to helger racing.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:47 PM
kevinb456

res - yeah WOT stands for wide open throttle, just means full speed yeah main bummer is not being able to run for a while now itll be a while before i let someone else use it lol!

thermal - i had only seen it once before, i was really shocked when i saw the picture on the internet. its one of those rc disaster pics you see, and you just never expect to see it in real life or least of all to your own truck! wot passes were probably longer than i would have personally ran them (freind was driving) but nothing out of the ordinary realy, quite a surprise for this to happen. i dont feel losi 'owes' me a motor, as i still cant really figure out in my head what/why it happened, but if theres a chance i dont have to pay for a new one... then guess what im gonna do?

madrc - thanks, thats given me some hope!! at first i thought it was like a 0.00001% chance of being replaced under warranty, but if you think theres a chance it was materials, then its worth sending it in? do you mind if i quote your "I'd guess the failure to be more related to materials in this situation, but send it in for service." when i send it in?? by the way.... im in the UK so i would be sending it to the UK distributor and not to horizon hobby. would the same rules apply (would losi in the UK be more strict and be less likely to replace it?).

thanks guys what could i do to prevent something like this from happening?
Old 01-29-2005, 05:03 PM
LST-UK

Kev................[X(] what you been doing.....**** man first time iv ever seen that....You might have been running a little lean as the weather has dropped over the last week or so. Did you richen her up to compansate for this? You can get new mach's on US e-bay for $120 so not too bad mate....

Have to catch up with you soon on MSN.....
Old 01-29-2005, 05:16 PM
TorqueFest

Unfortunately I saw the exact same thing last Saturday. Me and my mate Brian took our LSTs to Lydiard park on the edge of Swindon. This is wide open flat grassland and you can go for about 400m flat out (if you're brave enough or have a failsafe). We had been thrashing around for about 10 mins and Brian's LST sounded great (with a good smoke trail on acceleration), I was trying out some 40 series bowties and as they're a smaller diameter I was only doing about 80% full throttle to avoid over revving. As Brian made a return run his truck suddenly stopped, I thought he'd just done a brake test but it had well and truly died. The engine would not turn over and on closer inspection there was a shiny bump on the side of the grey engine block. Looks like the con rod broke about 2/3rd of the way up and punched it's head out to say hello. It also went through the bottom of the sleeve and the piston so I guess the engine is beyond economic repair.

I'm going to make sure that I richen my HSN an 1/8th before any future extended WOT running. Most of the time I race on tracks where I rarely have WOT for more than about 5 seconds and I tune for a temp of 210 to 220. I can imagine that the temp rises to cooking point quite quickly if a little too lean and run WOT for too long.

Brian's ordered an 8 port REX 528. Now that'll shift as long as he doesn't cook it again.

Hope you get something going again soon.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:37 PM
hoverlover9797
My Feedback: (3)

This is kinda unrelated to LST's but, The front bearing seal went bad in my son's Savage 25. He replaced it with a 21 out of a GS Storm. We took the HPI 25 Star and took the clutch and flywheel off and hooked up a fuel tank to finish her off. We ran it WFO/WOT with no flywheel. I started leaning it out trying to get more RPM's out of it. It sounded like one of those opera singers that hits the high note till a glass shatters. Anyway the thing never quit! We got bored with it. After I shut it down it was cookin! It sat for about 3 or 4 minutes and we spilled fuel on the crankcase by accident and it boiled off right away! My son squirted a big shot of fuel down the carb and it just vaporized!

I can't believe that these couple of LST's put a rod thru the block and the HPI that had a very hard lean life would not do it when we were trying to.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-29-2005, 05:57 PM
ResB

Not trying to be a smart @ass but I thought these Mach .26's were supposed to be tried and tested! This is surely a design fault, perhaps the stroke is too long?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:59 PM
smashn

I am interested what numbers u guys have on your lst's? I wander if they didnt get a few mad mills in there?? Just curious if they are close then maybe a warning for a few others with close numbers to yours!!
Old 01-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Pinolelst

Well I wouldn't go so far as to call it a design flaw with a couple known cases and without knowing the particulars.For instance if it was freezing cold out and someone erroneously leaned it out based on operating temps and seized the motor then it would be operator error not design flaw.Also there's a big difference between design flaw and materials flaw.A design flaw means that regardles of correct construction the design will fail.A material flaw means somewhere along the lines of producing a sound design a physical or compositional makeup flaw was introduced and that caused the failure.Just thought I'd share

Peace [8D]
Old 01-29-2005, 07:35 PM
kevinb456

bit of an update for you:

as far as what pinolest was saying - no, it wasnt particularly cold out, i would just say 'average'. i do not own a temp gun, so i was not tuning it by temperature, just smoke at full throttle and general instict listing to the engine and stuff. im not beginnger by any means... but then again im not expert, so it may be possible i had it tuned a little wrongly, but still baffled really.

if i sent it back would they test for like 'microscopic' air pockets or fractures or whatever they do to see if there was a problem with the material? (i have no clue about that sort of stuff).

lst runner - mine is #3350.

and the other part of the update, another pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90649.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	222394  
Old 01-29-2005, 07:43 PM
ResB

Your right I guess, I should have perhaps explained what I meant in more detail. On the pic that Kevinb456 posted it just looks like the con rod came through the barrel really low down. I've just have not seen this before on any engine. Invariably 2-stoke engines tend to seize mid or where the stroke is at the top or the skirts on the piston snap off. Speculation I know but it is more likely to be the big end bearing (forgive the 2-stroke terminology) that packed in. In most cases that I can recall it was very unlucky for the big end to go first. I'm going to have a look at the exploded view of the Mach and see if I can apply the same thoughts, but it's a strange failure to say the least. Unlucky.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:45 PM
LST-UK

Hey Kev im only 11 digits from yours.....[X(]

That just looks mad...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]......its like your piston got stuck and the con rod was at a point of no return so spunked its load sideways.....
Old 01-29-2005, 07:49 PM
tocache

Wow, that last picture is shocking! ive never seen something like that before!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:23 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: tocache

Wow, that last picture is shocking! ive never seen something like that before!
I have on the movie aliens
Old 01-29-2005, 08:58 PM
kevinb456

so what number is yours then lst-uk? (its alan isnt it? [&:] ) so its either 3361 or 3339, im gonna guess with 3361?? oh and 'spunked its load sideways?'...

i have seen something like this once before, i remember seeing it ages ago on rcpics and it was one of those rc disaster pics and least of all did i think that was going to happen to me!! (at the bottom).

lol funny should mention like aliens, because the con rod is still attached to the crank shaft and so if you turnt he flywheel it turns and so if you turn it one way it kind of pushes it disgonally upwards through the hole, and if you turn it th other way it pulls it back, so it kinda wriggles around and looks like its an alien escaping or something (what the hell goes on in my head???? [X(]).

Old 01-29-2005, 09:08 PM
LST-UK

You guessed right......3361 with the faster blue body,,,,,

Alan
Old 01-29-2005, 09:09 PM
kevinb456

sorry to lecture you on spelling, but you spelt red wrong. LOL

(maybe i should check my clock for the first time today, probably should get to bed lol?)
Old 01-29-2005, 09:22 PM
LST-UK

Well an insider from Team Losi told me that the red ones have a dodgy con rod that pops out the crank case like an alien, so be carefull kev.........
Old 01-30-2005, 04:16 PM
kevinb456

could have told me earlier alan

i think im gonna get my z.28r working (just got new parts for it) and put that in the mach.

hopefully be up and running soon, although i need a new pulstart for the lrp, i stretched the spring!