Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

How loose are your spur gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 PM
deletethisacct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loose are your spur gears?

I removed my engine because I had a loose mounting screw, and decided to re-locktite all of them. Then I noticed that the spur gears were a little worn, the pinions even more so, and the spur gears were actually loose. The slipper was only out a little less than one turn, but I could move the spur gears about 1 millimeter in either direction. I had never removed the spurs before, so I pulled everything off thinking I'd find something bent/broken. It was a bit dirty, but all seemed fine. The two speed clutch was a bit glossy, so I cleaned everything and put it back together. Same problem. Seems that this is what has caused the wear I notice in both the pinions and spurs. Both High and Low are worn a bit. I tried to find somewhere to get the new steel gears, but you guys beat me to them![] But, it seems I would only end up wearing a new set of $80 gears at this point. Sgt Canada, if you read this, I tried to do what you said when re-re-building the gears, but I was unable to get the two speed clutch to "unclick" when reinstalling the set, but still have the problem. Perhaps I did not quite understand.
Thanks for any help everyone!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:35 AM
ResB

Default RE: How loose are your spur gears?

The spurs also move in and out about 1mm exactly the same. To be fair I thought this was normal, although I am aware of people trying with some success to shim them.

Just a question. Does the spurs/pinions moving in and out cause more damage to both the spurs and pinions than it would if it stayed fixed in one place or does it lessen the damage somewhat because of the lateral movement? To me logic would say that wear will increase significantly if the spurs and pioions move. I just wonder if this is the case, why LOSI did not consider this in manufacture! What was also suprising before I changed to the Ti-Ni spurs/pinions is that the stock metal pinions were worn and the stock plastic spurs were not! Pinions are obviously softer or do not stand up to the pressures they are put under. Maybe the mesh was out slightly, but wouldn't that damage/wear both the pinion and the spurs?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:59 PM
deletethisacct

Default RE: How loose are your spur gears?

There is certainly more movement now in the spur gears, than when I removed the washer out of my mach26 before break-in. To try and be as specific as possible, it seems that the 70t gear needs another clip to hold it onto the hub. There is a 1 to 2 millimeter movement there. The 63t gear seems to have less movement, and that seems to stem from where is slides onto the cam. Its a bit loose there. When I completely remove the whole 2 speed gear/slipper assembly, and hold it on both sides (as if it were on the input shaft of the transmission) there seems to be less movement in the gears. When I re-mount it on the input shaft, the movement increases slightly. I guess it could be that the bushings are worn, maybe I will try some replacements.

Thanks for any help everyone!