Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

lst weaknesses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:48 PM
fastcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lst weaknesses?

i'm considering the purchase of an lst, and was wondering what else besides the washer i should know about. im not completely sold on the lst yet, but it is in the lead for the trucks i dont yet own. i've heard something about the diff cases or something, whats with that? are there any nessesary hopups that are strongly recomended out of the box? all opinions are welcome, im looking for constructive criticism, not salesmen, i can make that decision on my own. thank you all ---chris.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:56 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Default RE: lst weaknesses?

This is the LST Form So Read It! And then Makeup your mind.
Unless you get a LST that was is Stock of Sitting around For a long time, You shouldn't Have to Worry about the Washer, ( it was only in trucks under 1100 or so ).
As far as Diffs, When and if they Crack Just Re-place with Alum there Cheep anyway.
For the Most Part its been a Very Good Truck! with Very Few problems (for me anyway).
Just my 2cents.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:01 PM
bytor2112

alum. diff cases a must. plastic ones crack or get warn down . I have been snapping the axles, since adding the 23mm proline hexs. thinking about getting MIP axles.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Sgt. Canada

THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE LST

LOL, just's kiddin'. Every truck needs something.

I'd replace the diffs right away, if they crack they can damage the pinion inside and it costs a lot of moeny to replace it (about $45 I think)

Here's a list of some "nessesary hopups that are strongly recomended out of the box".

1. A good Rx pack. Recommended from onlybatterypacks.com, either the single 1200 mah pack for $18, or the double 2400 mah for $40 - http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=24

2. the e-bay aluminum secondary gear cover - $15 - http://search.ebay.com/Losi-LST-Alum...jsZ1QQfromZR40

3. A good charger, unless you have one -the one I recommed - $50 - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLD5&P=0, you can also use the vision peak 2, many people like this one. - $40 - http://www.rcmodels.com/rc-dyn-4044.html

4. Fail Safe - I recommend OFNA mini - $25 - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYG2&P=ML

5. Better Hex Drivers - $12 - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...R0202&C=RALDTX - on this page you'll find a whole bunch of drivers, but look for the SAE sized Presicion Ball Hex Drivers, there will be 4. - .5", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32".

In addition, you might also want the CNR Aluminum Drive Hexes - $15 - http://www.crazynutracing.com/produc...2f32e3e9219f2e

Then you might also want the New Era Models roll bar, and some silicone diff grease - most people like 30k front, 50k rear. that's about it.

That's about it. If you're truck is over #11,000, you don't need to worry about the WASHER. If it isn't, read the stickey on top.

Hope This Helps!
Old 03-13-2005, 10:03 PM
bytor2112

LST is imo the best handling MT out there. also very simple compared to the others
Old 03-13-2005, 10:19 PM
BIG BURBAN

[8D] I love my LST weakness.......... well not realy just pinon wear . As for hop up's just to make it stronger i have added all alum. control arms love them also . After a 25 ft big air landing i broke 1 hup carrier think i will also get those in alum also . Keep in mind i BASH HARD and FLY HIGH.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:21 PM
fastcrash

sgt. canada, thanx for all the great links, for the reciever pack, you pointed out the double pack 2400, will that fit in the stock batt pack location, or must i fasten one to the outside of the truck?

bytor2112, thats a pretty bold statement, the revo may have less power, but it also weighs a lot less than the lst, the lighter truck will usualy be more "nimble".
Old 03-13-2005, 10:29 PM
jandsrc
My Feedback: (2)

I have owned a TMAXX, Savage, and MGT and in my opinion the LST is by far the best all around truck. I tend to break front arms but that is from stupid decisions I make. Great handling, HI/LO range is AWSOME!!!! To top it all off the Radio gear is awsome for a rtr.[sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 03-14-2005, 03:14 AM
waz1111

Fastcrash, on Saturday, I saw a stock LST, not tuned, just broken in, with stiff springs, alu diff casses and secondary gear cover beat the revo by about 5 metres in a 100 metre drag race! The Revo was not stock, it had a RB TM323 bolted on. So if an untuned lst beat a tuned Revo with RB TM323 then how badly would a tuned LST beat a stock Revo? Well after Saturday my brother thought so highly of the LST compared to all other vehicles he bought one!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:16 AM
eye one

ORIGINAL: fastcrash

sgt. canada, thanx for all the great links, for the reciever pack, you pointed out the double pack 2400, will that fit in the stock batt pack location, or must i fasten one to the outside of the truck?
One reciever (hump) pack fits under the tank, the flat pack fits under the upper chassis in the battery holder. Nice set up for plenty of run time
Old 03-14-2005, 11:00 AM
fastcrash

waz1111, in that senario i would have to believe the revo must have ran out of gear, meaning it hit its top speed long before the finish line. the revo is much lighter, and to bolt on a more powerful motor than the lst and still lose, it has to be gearing. the mach .26 is not exactly a benchmark of performance.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
94never_done

On the reciever battery pack I keep trying to recommend this one. It is a single rated at 2400Mah, fits under the gas tank, wieghs less than two, is cheap, etc..

I have run it for several gallons of gas. I NEVER turn it off at the track and run 3-4 hours and so far it has never run down on me.

http://www.teamhelotes.com/users/main/catalog/i8.html

Why does Losi use plastic diff housings? They crack instantly! Would good to keep cost down if it is a bad decision to use plastic? This has been my one and only complaint about the truck. Tune the Mach and it kicks behind.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:57 PM
rcblaze

Driveshafts and Arms for the most part.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Sgt. Canada

ORIGINAL: 94never_done

On the reciever battery pack I keep trying to recommend this one. It is a single rated at 2400Mah, fits under the gas tank, wieghs less than two, is cheap, etc..

I have run it for several gallons of gas. I NEVER turn it off at the track and run 3-4 hours and so far it has never run down on me.

Why does Losi use plastic diff housings? They crack instantly! Would good to keep cost down if it is a bad decision to use plastic? This has been my one and only complaint about the truck. Tune the Mach and it kicks behind.
Personnaly, I am going to get that pack, not the double pack setup. But instead of mouting it under the tank, where you have to cut the extra "flashing" away, I'm going to zip tie it to the battery box. That way I can get the high capacity tank. I don't really care for the extra weight about an inch higher, because I'm only going to bash.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:07 PM
R@ge

Sweet pack...just bought one..now i wont have to deal with the double one+this one is cheaper and has a longer charge. tks for the link man.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 PM
hobbyadict

''I'd replace the diffs right away, if they crack they can damage the pinion inside and it costs a lot of moeny to replace it (about $45 I think)''
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Sgt. Canada

ORIGINAL: hobbyadict

''I'd replace the diffs right away, if they crack they can damage the pinion inside and it costs a lot of moeny to replace it (about $45 I think)''
Yeah, I made an error. Right after I posted I checked the price, but didn't remember to go and change it.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:50 PM
dryvr

These are the problems my friends (7) and I have run across. The stock upper and lower arms break like every other truck but it only cost's 10 bucks for a complete set of upper and lowers. The spur and pinion gears don't last long, but the steel ti-ni- coated gears should fix the problem. The ti-ni- gears will be back in stock the April 1st I believe. At least that's what Horizon hobby is stating. There is a tranny problem as well that doesn't allow the low and high speed gears to engage fully causing the truck to pop out of gear. Not sure how common that problem is yet, but working on a fix. Otherwise, I love this truck. It's easy to drive, handles and jumps great, and is just a blast. Every truck has it's issues, so don't let these deter you from getting an LST. Hands down it's the best truck on the market.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
wal

This is what I would do,

Straight away
Servo failsafe, absolute must do this first.
Secondary gear cover aluminum or plastic doesn’t matter.
Rechargeable 6v battery either Hump pack under fuel tank or flat pack under chassis.

There is a lot of talk in these forums about the suspension A arms, its up to you if you want to spend the money on the aluminum ones, if you decide not to then make sure you buy a spare set of plastic ones as they will probably be the first thing you break.

Optional do later.
Aluminum diff cases when the plastic ones go.
Nitrate pinion and spur gear set then the original ones go.

Remember this is a monster truck, if you drive it around like your little brothers tricycle then stock is fine, if you intend to drive it like a monster truck then no questions asked you will break it.

I like most people in here I am bias towards the LST, with that being said you should consider not only purchase price, looks and performance but you should do an in-depth study on the repair costs. The LST is dirt cheap to fix.

For the trucks on your short list, search the forums so see what gets broken a lot and also what gets upgraded the most and why then compare the cost of those activities against each truck and of course your budget.

Hope this helps.
Tony
Old 03-14-2005, 08:31 PM
deletethisacct

The LST is the best "all around" truck out there. All of them have good points and bad points, and all of them are FUN! I don't bash mine around much, I mostly run on the track. And I can tell you that my truck is one of the fastest on the track that I go to. I would win most or all of the races I have run, but I cant seem to keep the tires on the ground. I am a horrible driver. Even so, I have managed to win a few casual races, and impressed the other drivers enough that one of them has already bought a new LST (not looking forward to having to race him). Now, since I only seem to land on the tires about the same amount as elswhere, I have broken a couple of parts (a body broken beyond even Duct tape's near magical ability to repair, an a-arm, a body mount, and my gears are worn) but most of the time others are spending more time than myself repairing at the track.

You get the best radio of ANY mt. Period.
You get a truck just as tough as the rest
You get a truck that's faster than most mt's
You get this board to help you solve most issues before you even put gas in the tank, and any other issue that may arise later!

Have fun with your new LST!

Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
rcblaze

You guys make me proud to be a LST owner. Good info keep up the good work.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:30 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Hefeman

(a body broken beyond even Duct tape's near magical ability to repair...
best body repair ever, and also the only good advice I've ever gotten at my LHS. Use plaster board seem tape and shoegoo or goop glue.

Goop at home depot (marine line, but they also carry regular household and many other lines any of which will work)[link=http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1347103932.1110912699@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddedlldeglcgelceffdfgidgng.0&MID=9876]good at hd[/link]

Platerboard seem tape, you need the fiberglass stuff not the paper, [link=http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-276-tapes-beads-and-patches/2-x-37%27%27-fiberglass-joint-tape--601857.aspx]like this[/link]

Take the shoe goo or goop adhesive (usually any hardware store you go to will carry either one or the other shoe goo or goop) They are both extremely sticky and flexible adhesives and work extremly well on lexan) Spread whichever of the two adhesives you have all around the cracked or broken area (if you care about appearance only do this to the inside of the body, if you are more interested in a strong repair then do it to both sides) after you spread the adhesive, cut the plasterboard seem tape to cover the crack with lots of overhang onto solid areas of lexan. Then spread additional adhesive over that. Then take another peice of tape and lay it over the first peice only rotate it 45 degrees so it runs diagonal over the first peice and add more adhesive. You can do even more layers if you need the strength.

I know it is offtopic but seeing your comment about a body being beyond duct tape repairs made me think of this.