Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Gettin tired of the A-Arms.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 PM
LST freaky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin tired of the A-Arms.......

It seems to be a topic of all but does any one know of an a-arm that is made for the LST that is not aluminum? I am to the point of selling this beast just because of the single problem of the a-arms keep breaking under minimal strain. Small jump and wham broken arm. Every one that has broke has the same problem with an air pocket. I do not want to use aluminum because of the cost is way to much for a set and to heavy for racing in my oppinion but mostly cost. For a truck of this quality in every other aspect you would think losi would make better a-arms without blemishes of airpockets. Does any one have an idea or somthing they have done to the arms to make better I would greatly appriciate they're help. I have put a pic of the pocket in also but breaks in the same place every time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69573.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	244108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14226.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	244109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43976.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	244110  
Old 03-14-2005, 11:05 PM
dray33
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Gettin tired of the A-Arms.......

To me the arms are not that much. What I mean by that say you keep breakin the arms and have to buy the cheap plastic ones. Then you have to work on it, cant run it after it breaks ect.... so to me the $100 is worth it not to have tear down the truck, take the time to do it, not to mention to have to leave the track early when this does happen ect.... I would gladely pay that cash not to have to work or leave the track early.

As far as weight goes. With theese huge engines that we stick in theese I dont think the extra X ounces that is added wont make me loose.
(I just picked up a SH.28. Next will be Collari.30.)
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 PM
dryvr

I agree with dray33. The weight gain isn't that much. Not noticeable when you weigh two trucks, one in each hand. One with alum arms and one with stockers. The scale might tell a different story but in my opinion, I'll trade a little weight gain for durability anyday. It's not like alum arms are a pound a piece. I "really" considered the upgrade when I realized I had six sets of stock spare arms.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Dnell

RPM are supposed to be making arms for the LST by the summer.

One thing, cold weather plays havoc with the materials the stock arms, diff cases,etc..are made of. You'll probably find that you it's not that much of a problem when it warms up.

You need to consider what you're doing with a the truck before going the alloy route because the impact forces get transfered somewhere. you could probably get away with it making a more durable racer because of the type of impact that occur but bashing it another story.

Consider what you want to do with this in mind.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:16 AM
4wheelin

Learn how to land jumps, throttle nose up, brake nose down.....and you will still break them......alum is the only way til RPM gears up
Old 03-15-2005, 06:53 PM
LST freaky

thanks for all the advice....

4wheeling no offence but I know what I am doing with RC cars... I have been racing for 7 years. The allums will be better but I dont have the cash laying around for that upgrade and then what breaks next since the arms wont give it will be the bulkheads. always liked losi products but this is a mistake that will make me think again about their products...Think the truck will be on the bay before too much longer
Old 03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
sjm
My Feedback: (8)

I'm looking for a used LST ..........let me know if you decide to dump it
Old 03-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Lantern

I think 4wheelin was trying to say that it doesn't matter whether you know how to land jumps well or not, you will still beak them unless you switch to alum. or wait till RPM gets rolling.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 PM
LST freaky

sjm check your email or pm
Old 03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
4wheelin

yep, thats all.......trust me, been doing it for a looong time too......perhaps i could of said that better......wouldnt flame you ....check out my jumping thread and my video....Dave knows jumping.....You need alloy a-arms and titanium turnbuckles or you will replacing parts all the time.........T-Maxx/ Revo rims are my choice for paws.....Such a heavy truck lands hard.....You need a four point landing to come clear of breakage.....and we all knnow every landing can't be perfect.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:57 PM
eye one

People have mentioned to boil them for 5 minutes. Don't know if it helps or not, haven't tried it, but it's been suggested this will make them a little stronger.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 PM
arubadubis

You could always just go aluminum uppers arms. I think I have heard people suggest that before. Or is it lowers? At least that way you have some extra strength, and keep your weight increase to a minimum.

I have to agree though, the motor is big enough to handle the weight difference. I have full aluminum and the truck still smokes. I don't race so it is not a major concern, but so far none of my buddies can touch my truck. Other then the Genesis of course, but all I have to do is turn and watch that thing go flipping by.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:07 PM
dryvr

Check these out!! [link]http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?session_id=nxqcalpvuquoxmixkxflsieomrqomg nn&part_id=2505[/link]

I have the New Era arms but haven't installed them yet. I heard that with these arms the tie rods tend to break. So I've got some of these beefy thangs on the way and hopefully it will take care of that problem. I'm hopin my weak links will now be carriers and spindles. I will use stock ones, something's got to give.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:10 PM
ringneck

ive heard alot of people with a arm issues man i raced all last summer and still have not broke one yet i bought 2 extra sets when i bought my lst and have not used them yet. now spindles on the other hand i wish and hope rpm will make thease ive broke quite a few spindles
Old 03-16-2005, 11:57 PM
wal

I have done some pretty hard landings with my LST, I have broken four A arms one rear lower, two front lower and one front upper. I would say only the rear one was a low speed hit, brakes failed so I turn to miss wall and clipped the corner with rear wheel.

Also for all the front ones I only broke one of the chassis arms and not the wheel end so I didn’t even know I had done it until I had finished and was cleaning the beast.

The aluminum arms are a special order here in OZ and at over AUD200 for a full set I am happy to keep replacing the plastic ones for now. I have spares and can replace them on site in less then 5 minutes.

I would much rather break A arms then say shockies or something on the chassis itself. Someone mentioned the bulkhead, take it from me, they don’t break, they bend; they bend a lot. See for your self

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/What%E2%80%99s_wrong_with_this_picture%3F/m_2756249/tm.htm]What’s wrong with this picture?[/link]

The weather might have something to do with it, we are just coming out of our summer here and of the six people I know with LST’s only two of us have broken arms. Where we live it gets cold during winter but no snow so I shall monitor things during winter.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:39 AM
4wheelin

Buy the new era a-arms...they are the best out there......dont get any colors, just gets scraped up.....buy Titanium turnbuckles. and a roll bar ..leave the axe carriers stock,,,let them break if they need to ....

A-arms are not breaking turnbuckles, they are the new weak pointafter a-arms........ I jump all day...hardly ever break a part anymore...I have a 60 foot approach, and I peg the throttle, she flies almost always past 35 feet.....trust me, you need these upgrades to jump.

I have tried boiling...just doesnt do much....and frankly,
Old 03-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Mattcity

I went through 3 upper arms and 1 lower in 4 heats first time i raced the LST, since fitted the New Era upper arms and have not done a single arm (upper or lower). including numerous race meets and bashing expeditions (including front and back flips)

I highly recomend ally upper arms and the new era roll cage as well

cheers

Matt
Old 03-18-2005, 03:05 PM
dOWa423

Mattcity, are you only using the aliminum uppers? No lowers? Just curious. I have thought about that too.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Mattcity

Ive run just the upper arms since november with out problems, usually i am against ally arms as i belive you just transfer stress to other points. But with just the upper arms done it seams to leave enough "flex" in thesystem to cope with the worst driving,

and belive me my truck gets the worst driving!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Ched

LST freaky, I know what you are saying. The a-arms are defective. They would be much stronger if they were solid plastic. Do they all have air pockets? Does losi know about this? Maybe they have fixed the problem by now. I have a broken a-arm that has more air than plastic right where it broke.
LST 009759
Old 03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've broke 16 a-arms so far on the LST. Sure their cheap, and not too difficult to replace but it gets anoying.

Boiling them doesn't help. I've tried that with no success. In fact, the ones I've boiled seemed to break quicker than the ones straight from the package.

A-arms are the only parts I ever break.