Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

help with new lst

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:40 PM
redcell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with new lst

hey guys,
now I'm sober and have sucessfully did the break in of my truck, I got to run it for real the first time today and it is 100% badder than my E-maxx. I am now presented with a problem that the electric did not have. I ran it through mud and it is now dirtier than a three peckered billy goat in a cat house. What is the most effective way to clean it w/o f'n it up.
see pics below....
red

Old 03-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Dnell

Default RE: help with new lst

One of the best investments I have made has been an air compressor. It comes in handy when the truck gets like that.

You're going to have to zip tie a bag or plasticover the air filter and get out the water hose, bucket of soapy water and a bottle brush to it. Be a bit careful with the water around the radio box otherwise go for it. If you have a compressor, blow the water off, using a old paint brush, spray and paint it down with WD-40 or similar lube. Use the compressor and blow it over again in effort to get the WD everywhere, after that you could do a detail clean or hang her up 'til next time.

If you don't have a compressor, after you've washed it down and toweled it off, do the same WD/paint brush thing. Be careful when you come back to clean the filter, ensuring you don't get any dirt down the carb.

I use the same soap that I use on my family cars.

The most important thing is to try and enjoy the cleaning, I find it relaxing in a way.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:53 PM
redcell

Dnell,
Thanks for the reply. Will do the zip on the air filter, but on the maxx, i couldn't get the servos wet....does the same apply here?
BTW,
I love the tear down, maint., and rebuild. It is theraputic and it keeps me out of the nudy bars.

But just so i understand, a comlete tear down of the engine is not required?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:49 AM
arubadubis

Are you trying to say that you did that to your truck without getting the servos wet? LOL.

Seriously though, I think the JR servos are pretty well sealed. Unless you plan on taking a pressure washer to them. I've hosed my down before. I just don't directly hit the servos if I can avoid it.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:41 AM
wal

If you are going to use water near the servos make sure you dry them as soon as possible, I have a dead throttle server and I think I may be the degreasing I gave the truck with a can of degreaser and garden hose and I just let everything dry naturally.

I spend 130AUD (100US) on a little 2HP air compressor and hose kit, the kit contained a degreasing gun and a air nozzle for spraying air, it’s the best thing I could have done, it’s so easy know if my LST gets really dirty I hit it with the degreaser without directly spraying the radio box or servos and let it sit a minute then wash it off with the hose and spay it dry with the compressor and boom, nice and shinny.

With the economy of scale for buying things in the US you should be able to get it cheaper then I did.

I managed to crack the exhaust gasket and it sprayed unused fuel and oil all over everything mixing with grass, dust and anything else in the air or on the ground it was a right mess, three minutes with the degreaser / compressor and all is good.

I believe there is some sort of rubber / silicon spray you can apply to your servos, let it set and your servos are virtually waterproof except for around the shaft but chances of getting water down and damaging anything is remote.

In your case I would take the servos and radio box out, remove the air cleaner block the carby and go to town on the dirty little boy. You are going to have mud in places you couldn’t put it yourself if you tried.

With all that being said, it must have looked so cool driving through the mud to get it that dirty.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Sgt. Canada

Yes. There is a thing called Plasti-Dip that you can dip your servos into to waterproof them. It's basically a liquid-rubber dip that hardens when exposed to air. You can get it at most hadware stores, I got mine at an automotive shop.

To protect the servo horn, put a dab of marine grease on it beofre each run. It'll stop water from going down into the servo from the horn. Make sure to put a fair-sized dab, don't be modest
Old 03-19-2005, 12:54 PM
hobbyadict

http://lstcentral.com/modules.php?na...a662fedaef3fd7 read that