Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Everything messed up on LST

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:46 PM
eTokyoPop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everything messed up on LST

I love my LST but hate its current problems, first off about two weeks ago My 1 way bearing wouldn't catch and I couldn't get it to turn over so I bought a new one and it started slipping a couple days ago, I took it apart and cleaned the bearing with nitro cleaner and now it catches but i have no faith it will stay that way. Why is this happening, could it be the fuel???, any ideas please help.

Second I can't get this thing tuned properly, and even if I lean it it is still spiting fuel out of the exhaust I bhet that thing would still be spitting at 1 turn out
I need help getting this thing running good, I just put my HSN at 3 and LSN at 2 to start the tuning process over. I have been using blue tunder race formula 20 % what do you guys recommend?

Third it that I cant get out there to tune it because my front diff is cracked and Im waiting for my alumium diff cases.

Please help me out with these problems and on advice on getting it tuned I use already tuned it according to this site tuning guide I found but its still spitting.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:57 PM
eye one

Default RE: Everything messed up on LST

I replaced my one-way bearing before I knew it could be cleaned better, keeping it as a spare. One tip would be to store it on an angle, so fuel and lubricants do sit on the bearing. Some people have mentioned to scuff the shaft a little bit too.

When tuning, don't worry about it spitting especially when cold. Keep in mind the engine performes differently at different temps, 130 degrees is night and day different than 230 degrees, 180 it acts differently than 230. Make sure it gets to temp when tuning the HSN and LSN. Just set the HSN first, then the LSN.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:09 PM
arubadubis

My understanding is that the Blue Lightning doesn't help that situation. Too much lube in it or something.

I recently switched to O'Donnell and that seems to be doing well. The motor tunes much easier then the Traxxas fuel I was running, and the one way does not slip as much. I scuffed up the rod a bit, and that did help. After two gallons, the bearing had polished the shaft so smooth, you could not even believe it.

I do try to store my truck on an angle, and that helps for the first start. When I don't, I occasionally have to bump the started for a bit until the motor catches. But once the engine has been started for a couple seconds, the one way works great for the rest of the day.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:10 PM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

sounds like you need to put a cold plug in that thing. it will be very hard to tune an engine if the wrong plug is installed.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:15 PM
eTokyoPop

I was going to try o-donnell next, Im using a OS #8 I beleive this is a great plug to use
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: ChrisBaker

I was going to try o-donnell next, Im using a OS #8 I beleive this is a great plug to use
Thats the Plug I've had the Best Luck with, If your still Running Rich it maybe why it Didn't Last, I can get From 1-3 Gallons on 1
OS#8.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:34 AM
eTokyoPop

I got it tuned better today, I need to get a fuel gun to chech the temp though, however when I was done I check the 1 one bear, and it was slipping[:@] I took it aout and clean it to get it working again, I guess its time to give the blue thunder to a friend and pick up some o'donnell or something, What are U guys using??? I should get the diff case in the next couple days and that will fix the other problem.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
eTokyoPop

A temp gun not fuel gun, oops
Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Dnell

I'm using Odonnell 25% and plugs and I think it's great.

One way bearings tend to fail when you try to start an engine which is in hydro-lock. the starter is capable of spinning a flooded engine and since you're having tuning issues, that thought came to mind.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 PM
captanabolic

There is a reason why WE call it BLUE CHUNDER, [:'(]. I could not get that stuff to run with any kind of consistency. Plus it leaves so much UNBURNT fuel and oil in the crankcase that it leaks back into the oneway. That is why it is slipping. You will notice the next time you try to start it that it will eventually catch, because the new fuel entering the crankcase will eventually cleanout the oneway. to prevent this 1. change fuels from Blue Chunder to Trinity, Odonnell, White LIghtning. I know blue thunder is cheaper but you get what you pay for. 2. store your truck with the rear wheel nearest the SPINSTART slightly elevated. That will keep the unburnt fuel from leaking back into the oneway, also whatever fuel and oil is in the oneway will drain out making it easier to start the next time. I have given out this advice to a lot of LST owners and It works well. Which I got from an older racer from my track.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:36 AM
wal

You could always buy a new LST, only kidding.

I have trouble tuning mine as well, had to replace the LSN o ring, it was still intact but the needle kept moving. I have also purchased a new glow plug, the beast has been running so rich it must be getting sick.

If my glow plug was any richer it would think it was Michael Jackson
Old 03-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Nitro Goose

I used to run other types of fuel (Traxxas, Blue Thunder) on my T-maxxes years ago, and was constantly cleaning out the one-way bearings to get them to catch again.

When I bought my LST, I switched to O'donnell 20%. The one-way has given me absolutely no trouble at all. I decided to try O'donnell in my T-maxxes as well (before I sold them). T-maxx slipping one-ways solved!

Now, I use O'donnell in all my nitro vehicles (and the LST still gets the most play time).
Old 03-24-2005, 05:17 PM
eTokyoPop

I am going to pick up some odonnell next time im at my LHS should I get 20% or 25%??? I cleaned the bearing yester day and have not ran it but this mourning I wasn't catching[:@] there was no fuel in it so The must of been some still in the bearing. hopefully I will have new fuel and my diff cases by this weekend. I yet you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Bulldog_r4

help new at RC how do you install clutch springs
Old 03-28-2005, 11:53 PM
creyc

I took my LST up into the mountains of California a while ago and noticed a few things about this truck. For one thing, tuning is super critical to a properly running truck. I already knew it was important to keep the truck at it's top performance but I found out first hand that 1/4 turn the wrong way can mean the difference between and engine that will hardly stay running and one in race condition. Don't make large adjustments, and tune it with the motor running for connivence.

Secondly, the temperature of the truck/engine will determine if and how hard it will be to start. A cold truck, for example one left in a pickup bed during 40º temperatures on a mountaintop, will be almost impossible to start. The one-way wont likely even catch because the oils in the engine gum up and become so viscous the teeth don't properly grab the engine shaft. If your one-way is slipping you might simply try heating it up with the heater of a car's air vents for 10 minutes. It will also avoid engine damage from trying to start an engine with a frigid combustion chamber.

Finally, check your glowplug. When it seems like everything is correct and it should be working, it just might simply be a bad glowplug causing your headaches. It's easy to check, easy to fix and often overlooked.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:07 PM
numwiz

Every time you start this truck you need to tune it. Temperature, altitude, and humidity all change thus effecting how the truck runs. It has taken me a while to get the hang of tuning. I bought a video titled: Ultimat Nitro Engine Tuning which is published by car acton and features Joel Johnson. This has given me a very good insight on tuning. The nice thing about the video is you have a visual sample.

All fuel has oil in it, and if your engine is getting alot of fuel, it may be your low end needle needing adjustment. See page 3 in your op guide. I found once I had my low end adjusted well, I have only needed to make adjustement on the high end needle. IMO ionce you get the truck tuned your gonna have less problems with that one way.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:42 AM
ruffian

ORIGINAL: ChrisBaker

I got it tuned better today, I need to get a fuel gun to chech the temp though, however when I was done I check the 1 one bear, and it was slipping[:@] I took it aout and clean it to get it working again, I guess its time to give the blue thunder to a friend and pick up some o'donnell or something, What are U guys using??? I should get the diff case in the next couple days and that will fix the other problem.
I'm using Byron's Race 20%. One thing I've found that really helps the one way bearing is after run oil. Three drops into the head/carb after running the truck and keep it tilted to where the oil will get in the bearing. Haven't had a problem with it since.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:39 PM
eTokyoPop

I have cleaned out the bearing twice without running it after or having fuel in it but it still failed to catch[:@] It really didnt make sense to me because I havn't ran it yet or put fuel in it.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
eTokyoPop

and I tryed two different bearings? any tips?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Nitro Goose

You say you're cleaning your one-way bearing with nitro cleaner. That ought to do the trick if the bearing is slipping because it's dirty or because of unburned fuel residing inside it. To clean one-way bearings, I typically use a product called 'gun scrubber' which is manufacturered to get the oils and gunk (lead, powder and such) out of the insides of weapons. This stuff dissolves the oil and crud out of the one way. After spraying the inside of the bearing thouroughly (short bursts) I take an old telescopic antenna that is the same diameter as the inside of the bearing and rotate the bearing on it - both directions - and wipe off any excess oils or junk that comes out between turns. I usually repeat this process a couple of times, then put a light coat of gun oil on the inside of the bearing and rotate it on the antenna shaft again...which will sometimes clean out more crud. You can often feel/hear the difference once the bearing is clean of dirt (while rotating it). I also make certain the bearing is catching solidly in one of the rotational directions before it goes back on the engine shaft...and wipe down the engine shaft with a clean rag.

Although I've never tried it myself, I've heard of others lightly scuffing the crankshaft area on the engine where the one-way resides to give it more 'bite'.

If you've tried all of the above and still have no luck, your bearing rollers may not be seating correctly - which would mean a replacement bearing is in order.

Also - as silly as it may seem - be sure to check that your bearing is on the crankshaft in the correct direction.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:27 AM
eTokyoPop

I actually got it running great with odonnell 20%, the bearing started catching as soon as the fuel was in it, weird. I have it running satisfactory for now and I pleased with this truck. while bashing yesterday in low, climbing I heard a slight cracking noise and it rolled down the hell, I snapped the tranny output shaft right at the hole the pin goes through, anyone else have done this???
Old 04-14-2005, 12:28 AM
eTokyoPop

*hill