Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Air Leak around Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 AM
atorresg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Leak around Flywheel

I just bought my LST one month ago, i have only use 1 gallon of Nitro. One week ago I stared having problems with my engine, it was difficult to start it, I as also were having so many problems with burning Glow Plugs every 10 minutes or less.

Today I decided to check my engine, so I took off the engine, I blow trought the hole of the pipe (of course I put my finger on the holes of the carburator), I put the engine into a bowl of water and I discovered that I have an air leak around the flywheel, I dissarmed the Flywheel, then I found something like a O ring around the front bearing (DYN0913), I check the Part list but that O ring is not there, I could not fix that and now is impossible to star my engine because that air leak.

Please help!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air Leak around Flywheel

That front bearing is rubber sealed. If you found something that looks kinda like an o-ring, it's probably that seal. Can you actually see the ball bearings?

You'll need to completely disassemble the engine to replace that bearing.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:16 AM
ResB

ORIGINAL: atorresg

I just bought my LST one month ago, i have only use 1 gallon of Nitro. One week ago I stared having problems with my engine, it was difficult to start it, I as also were having so many problems with burning Glow Plugs every 10 minutes or less.

Today I decided to check my engine, so I took off the engine, I blow trought the hole of the pipe (of course I put my finger on the holes of the carburator), I put the engine into a bowl of water and I discovered that I have an air leak around the flywheel, I dissarmed the Flywheel, then I found something like a O ring around the front bearing (DYN0913), I check the Part list but that O ring is not there, I could not fix that and now is impossible to star my engine because that air leak.

Please help!!!!!!!
This is the same problem I have had and am currently having. I cannot get the engine started.

I never thought that it could be leaking at the flywheel. I'll investigate over the next few days and see if I am having the same issues. Just a silly question, but does it really matter that there could be an air leak in this area?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:38 PM
jefx

There is always going to be a leak in that area. Since it's a moving part that has to have a hole through it (for the crank shaft) it's nearly impossible to make it completely air tight. Small amounts of leakage are normal, even some fuel leakage from that area is normal, but excessive leakage can cause tuning and starting problems.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:16 PM
ResB

ORIGINAL: jefx

There is always going to be a leak in that area. Since it's a moving part that has to have a hole through it (for the crank shaft) it's nearly impossible to make it completely air tight. Small amounts of leakage are normal, even some fuel leakage from that area is normal, but excessive leakage can cause tuning and starting problems.
Thanx. Thats what I thought.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:28 PM
atorresg

I know there should be a small air leak in that Flywhell area, but mine is to much so is impossible to start my engine.

When I disarmed this part, I can see the ball bearings if I take off the rubber O ring that covers that bearing.

Then, should I change the bearing, Or what do you recomend
Old 03-25-2005, 03:39 PM
jefx

If the "o-ring" seal comes off that easily so that you can see the balls (), then you need to replace it. That's about the most labor intensive job you can do to an r/c engine, because it requires complete engine disassembly. If you're not comfortable doing it, take it to the LHS.

You'll need to remove the head, head button, starter plate, backplate, sleeve, piston, crankshaft, and inner most crank bearing, just to get to that outer crank bearing. And you'll have to make sure that you keep everything ultra clean and damage free while doing it. Then once you get the new bearing in place (which you'll have to special order), you'll need to lube everything up and put it all back together.