Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Give me a UNBIASED LST actual owner review....!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Give me a UNBIASED LST actual owner review....!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 AM
IslandSavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me a UNBIASED LST actual owner review....!!!!

Im looking into getting a LST this weekend and i have personally never seen one run. It looks of a good design. Im gonna be switching to a .28 size motor in it and put in better steering servos..(assuming i get one).. What do you guys honestly have to say about this truck. Im not a basher, it will be used at a track.. Is there a forward only kit for it?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Give me a UNBIASED LST actual owner review....!!!!

you won't see a more comprehensive and honest review than this one.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=477
Old 03-24-2005, 11:00 AM
IslandSavage

I read the review and was trying to get multi-comments from others also.. That way i can see and read whats the overall experience with it is...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:56 AM
2DMaxLST!!

Here are a few reasons I like the LST. (I'm pretty biased you should get other opinions)

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/lst/track_second_trip.wmv]Video: This is from January and it was my second time on a track with my LST (I'm not that good of a driver)[/link]

Before I got a LST I had given up on bashing with my Tmaxx and used it for racing only. When I figured out everything the LST could do that changed...
[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/lst/Low_Range_III.wmv]Video: Climbing in low range with SH.28 and a Werks Clutch[/link]

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/lst/culvert.wmv]Video: Bashing in high range with SH.28 and a Werks Clutch[/link]

Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
IslandSavage

Is the SH.28 faster than the Mach.26 noticabley?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Yes. I would describe it as a Mach on steroids. You can swap the complete backplate from a Mach to it and use the roto start also.

I like the Mach a lot. It has very good lowend grunt.
The SH .28 seems to have more midrange and upper, I only have about 3/4 gallon through it.

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/lst/testing_sh28.wmv]Video: Here I've richened it to run at about 210 with the body off[/link]

Old 03-24-2005, 02:34 PM
jefx

The RCU review is a good one. It covers just about everything.

Most people here really love their LSTs, so getting any negative critisism is gonna be hard to do.

I can say honestly, that the LST has met and exceeded all my expectations. It's a do-it-all truck that can be raced or bashed. From the box, there are very few problems. The first batches of the truck had more issues, but Losi has resolved most of them. A few of the weak points of the latest batch of trucks are as follows.

1.Diff cases. You'll need the aluminum ones because the stock plastic ones are week and will break quickly. $10 each.
2.Washer. If the truck is numbered over 11000, then you don't have to worry about it, otherwise you'll need to remove the washer.
3.Secondary gear cover. You'll need added protection for the spurs, or else you'll chew them up when driving in dirt. $5-$15.
4.Brakes. Although the stock ones are super strong, they are in fact too strong. Some upgraded pads will ease them up a bit and only cost $4 for the Losi HP ones.

That's honestly all I can think of. There used to be more problems, clutch springs, chassis braces, axles, etc. But Losi has resolved those bugs on the later models. The only part that I ever break are a-arms, but only in severe crashes. RPM is about to release some arms for it, and there are many companies providing aluminum a-arms to strenghen that area of the truck.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Destructo

Island........ I have had my LST since about January and I have loved it from day one. This is by no means a truck for begginers. I had a t-maxx before that was highly modded and bashed hard. I spent alot of time working on my lst from day one to get it up to par. I did remove all the low and reverse gears from the tranny, and I am telling you first hand that JB cold weld does not work. I welded the dogs together and have had no problems at all since. I tried the JB cold weld like suggested and it held for about 15 minutes. You can save alot of weight by removing all the unwanted from the tranny, not to mention the servo also. I have a carbon fiber chassisSet of bumb and top plated that take abuse regularly,missed front flips and back flips. Here is a list of what I have done to my truck since i boought it.
New Era roll bar
Hot bodies revlution rim with pyscho tires----- replaced by XTM gun metal pentos with BRT1 tires
SH >28 from rcmodles hk
Forward only tranny..actually have two of these with the welded dogs
2 sets of a-arms
TI-NI shock shafts
X-ray clutch(billet)
set of front and rear bumpers
extra differentials
Changed out the shock fluid
heavy duty yellow springs
extra sets of pinions
I will not lie there were times when i thought about putting this thing on ebay because of all the trannsmission problems I had when it was new.It would constantley go in between gears and just free rev. I kept thinking man I should of bought a savage. I caught so much crap from my friends that all bought savages and still do, but there is no way I would get rid of it now. The savage is a great truck my friends have the .25 to the 4.6 and you can beat the crap out of them. But with all the options you get with the LST you cannot go wrong. I hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:27 PM
jefx

I've never had tranny issues, but then again, I've never tried to mod the tranny either.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:43 PM
ResB

I'm a noob to all this, so my comments should be taken considering this.

I bought the truck cos it looked the best and without reading reviews and the like. At first I was a little concerned about the small issues that have been mentioned earlier. Anyway, as it was my first truck I persevered and have had some great fun with it. Unfortunately I have had a few issues with the truck as everyone else has had, but as a noob, I'm starting to struggle a little with it's sensitivity. (it could be me of course as I didn't really know what to expect).

Anyway, it is so easy to work on. I spent some time on my brothers Savage and that truck is a pain to work on. The LST however, is designed very well and for a novice it is so easy to work on in comparison.

All in all I'm happy with the truck all things considered except I'm a little frustrated with the fact that I cannot get the d@rn thing to run at the moment. God knows whats wrong with it. I've almost changed every part that I thought could be the problem but to no avail. [Takes deep breath]. I will persevere with it though. If your a veteran RC Nitro individual, you will likely love this truck.

For me at least the jury is still out. If I could just get a few hours running the truck with at least 5 or 6 tanks through it I would start to have more confidence with it.

I don't give in very easily so it's just a matter of time before she's up and running again.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
mtdriver

What problem are you getting with running it you say it will not start

what symptoms are you getting with it
Old 03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
ResB

ORIGINAL: mtdriver

What problem are you getting with running it you say it will not start

what symptoms are you getting with it
Well, I could write an essay, but I'll try to summarise it quickly.

It all started a few weeks ago. The truck started idling really high and the revs would drop ever so slowly when the truck was stood still. After a while the high idle would be such that the clutch would engage and the truck would want to move. Having posted the problem and read a lot of threads about this issue, is was possibly put down to an air leak somewhere. On a day at a BMX track the truck was running very hot IMO and I kept on blowing glowplugs. 5 in all in about 40 minutes.

In steps to resolve the leak sealing expedition. First, sealed the Back Plate, then the Plastic Roto-Start Plate, the Carb, changed the fuel lines, removed the primer plunger in the fuel tank and sealed the resultant hole, cleaned and serviced the fuel filter, replaced the seal and plate under the fuel cap and various other things that escape me at the moment. I don't think the fuel tank is cracked, but I have another ready and waiting to be fitted. Anyway, after each alteration/change I would start the truck. It would appear to be okay for a few minutes then back to idling too high.

I'm convinced the mixtures are not lean and are running quite rich if anything. Lots of smoke leaving the exhaust throughout the rev range. The truck does change from 1st to 2nd so it's not overly rich.

Anyway, the truck didn't seem to get much better. After sealing the fuel tank primer I could not get the truck started. I don't believe this is the problem though, well I dont think so. Originally, before the changes and sealing of the engine the fuel didn't seem to flow through the fuel pipes very well. In fact air bubbles were always present in the fuel tube between the carb and the fuel filter. When I prime the engine by turning the motor with my finger over the exhaust the fuel flows very quickly now, so I believe the air issue may have gone. But I can't get the truck started to confirm this.

So, to getting the engine started I have done the following -

Fuel is Fine. New Odonnell's 20%.
New Glow Plugs.
Glow ignighter is charged to full capacity.
Engine not flooded.
Exhaust not blocked
Air filter cleaned and not fouled.

I have also inspected the piston, sleeve etc and they are fine. The piston top is quite dark, indicating to me that its running rich.

I have also leaned out slightly (1/12th) the HSN and Richened the LSN the same amout as when the engine did start it would cut out when I applied the throttle. BUT, I can't even get it started now even at the default needle settings.

Bemused a little.

[edit]

Summarise!...lol Oh and one other thing. The one way bearing slipping and not engaging is doing my head in. However, this is working fine now.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
BigBoyLST

does anyone have the collari .30 in their lst? how does it perform and is it fast?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 PM
mtdriver

Sorry to hear of all the problems you have been getting

Try the following :-

Take the filter off and look in to the carb to see how far the slide is open at default settings.

Turn the idle stop screw untill you have between 1mm and 2mm opening showing

Then replace air filter and set needles back to factory settings

Then try and start it after priming the engine

You may need to hold throtle out a quarter way to start it up

If it starts ok try leaning out top end untill you get no further benefit in top speed

Then lean bottem end untill starting off the line is crisp and not laboured

As long as it starts from these settings you can work from there

hope that helps

Old 03-24-2005, 07:11 PM
hdmax

That review stated that the durability was a 4 out of 5. I read another reveiw done by RC Car Action that gave it a perfect score. Neither is bad, just pointing out that it must be a very good truck.

I am so new at this hobby, that I have yet to get a real RC truck. I do have a $60 Radio Shack Hummer that is 21" long, 11" tall, and will run 10 mph for about 5-7 minutes before needing to replace the 7.2V nicd battery.

I have been researching this new hobby for about a month now. I have read that the T-Maxx is the no. one selling monster truck, and has been for a few years now. I would like to know if the LST is worth the extra money. I can get the LST in RTR kit, meaning everything including batteries, fuel, fuel bottle, and I guess anythingelse needed for $569 out the door. The T-Maxx kit is $459 out the door. How are these deals? I also like the Monster GT made by Team Associated, and can get it for $404 plus the extras.

I will be running the truck at parks, my back yard, woods, construction sites, paved and gravel parking lots, and pretty much anywhere it will go. I want a 10 scale truck because I like the bigger stance they have. I want a truck that will climb really well, and still run 40 mph+

I have read reveiws where the T-Maxx had a top speed of 29 mph, 31 mph, 37 mph, and 44 mph. I do not understand how the top speed can be so across the board. The too reviews on the LST have been 39 mph, while I don't recall a top speed givin on the other review, but they did give it a 5 star rating out of 5 stars. So I would think it is in the 40 mph range.

I am not a troll trying too stir things up, I am a newbie lokking for some good advice.

Thanks for reading this long post!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:28 PM
jefx

hdmax. I own both the LST and a highly modified Tmaxx. The Tmaxx has been nothing but a pain in the arss since day one. The reason I've had to heavily modify it is to try and turn it into a decent truck, which has been unsuccessful, even after dropping a solid $1000 into it, plus the initial investment.

I have nearly enough money spent on the Tmaxx to have bought 3 LSTs (which would have been the better choice, had I known better). The Tmaxx is only the no. 1 seller because of Traxxas awesome market campaigns. Trust me, after owning both trucks, stay away from the Tmaxx at all costs. It is a dated money pit that will cause much frustration.

The LST has been a dream machine in comparison to the Tmaxx. The LST is well worth every cent of investment into the hobby.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 PM
jefx

Oh, and both the Tmaxx and LST will top out at just over 40 MPH. In fact, in every drag race between my buddy's nearly stock Tmaxx and my nearly stock LST, the LST always wins.

The descrepency's you've seen with the Tmaxx's top speeds are due to the several different models of the Maxx truck, as well as testing conditions. The Maxx trucks come in Tmaxx 2.5 trim, Sportmaxx trim, Smaxx trim, and it used to come in the old Versio 1.0 Tmaxx with the pro .15 engine.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:56 PM
hdmax

Thanks jefx for the quick response. Have you tried running the LST for top end speed with smaller ligher tire/wheel combo? I am guessing that the 7" tires have to take some power away from the top end as well as getting it going.

I had guessed that just because the T-Maxx was the number one selling monster truck, did not make it the best. And with it being an 10 scale, doesn't do it justice in my opinion. Like I stated before, I prefer an 8 scale. Ialso want lots of suspension travel, lots of ground clearance, a great climber, and I want it to be fast.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 PM
jefx

Well actual scale size is somewhat of a muddled thing. The Savage is claimed to be 1/8 scale, but is no bigger than a Tmaxx which is claimed at 1/10 scale. While the LST is considered a 1/8 scale but is much larger than a Savage (also 1/8 scale), and the Trinity Spyder is called 1/7 scale and it's just a bit smaller then the LST.....................See what I'm saying?

The LST actually tops out pretty quickly at around 40 MPH. Team Losi's web site has a pic of it being radared at 44 MPH. The LST could easily pull taller gearing for higher speed, but there are no available taller gearing options yet. I have the (heavy) XTM Meats on my LST (not shown in above pic) that are taller than the stock tires. It easily pulls those tires to an even higher top speed than with the stockers, but sacrifices some of the wheelie-ability due to the weight of the Meats.

The LST is among the fastest of the nitro monster trucks, besides the Mammoth. And if you want climbing ability, the LST has it with it's selectable low gear range. The shocks are about as plush as it gets, and the 4 shock set-up is much easier to maintain than the 8 shocks found on most MT's. I don't know the specs off hand, but the LST has ground clearance and suspension travel that rivals any other MT out there.

Plus it comes with the best RTR radio gear ever offered.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:12 PM
jefx

Oh, and smaller tires will sacrifice top speed, but add acceleration. While taller tires will improve top speed and sacrificing acceleration.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Destructo

T-maxx is a starter truck that has lots of plastic. My friend has one and it runs good, because it only weighs about 6 pounds. but he is always breaking things. Look at the radio systems that come with most trucks. Alot say awwww i don't need all that, but it really comes in handy to have all the options.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:15 PM
tugboat_ted

the LST is the best for your money ar mine for that matter. I switched to the Picco .27 and have 1/2 gal. through it. I have had nothing but a blast with this truck. I've only broke 1 set of arms so far. If you want the best buy the LST.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:18 PM
vmf214

The LST is the only nitro vehicle I have ever owned, I have driven the savage and the revo. IMO the LST is a very reliable, well built and very fast truck for its size and weight. I think this is definatly a keeper. I am buying a second truck this summer, and will make a dedicated racer out of it. Get the LST I don't think you will be disapointed.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
hdmax

ORIGINAL: jefx

Oh, and smaller tires will sacrifice top speed, but add acceleration. While taller tires will improve top speed and sacrificing acceleration.
Yea! I caught what I had wrote after I'd posted. I have a Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax, and with the 285`s I am running, the truck can easily run past 100 mph at a much lower rpm then the stock 245`s did. Now if I could get one of these monster trucks to run like my big truck does.

The review I mentioned that had the T-Max topping out at 29 mph, was of the newest T-Maxx, and not one of the other Maxx trucks. And this review is in the Maxx book by RC Car Action,and RC Nitro magazines.

As for scale size. When a full size American pickup has a 133" wheel base (Or there abouts!) for a regular cablong bed. A 1/10 scale should have 13.3"wheel base,but most of them are closer to 12". While the 1/8 scale varies from 12.something" too 15.something" Then there are the ones with extended or crew cabs, and they still claim the 1/8 or 1/10 scale without making the wheel base longer. I guess the makers don't know this.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:26 PM
IslandSavage

My LHS is kinda steering me away from the LST..claim the Tranny on it is very weak and full of trouble.... I was gonna buy one and throw a SH.28 in it and race prep it..im a racer..not a basher.. but they warn against it (LHS)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.