Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Steering servos upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Smythx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering servos upgrade.

As soon as I get the $$dough$$ I am considering upgrading the steering servos on my truck to something with more power. I was thinking of something along the lines of Hitec's HSC-5998TG (digital) titanium geared servos which have 250 oz-in. Or if anybody knows of any other good servos that they would recommend, how much, where can I find them and how do they perform against the stockers?
Thanks in advance for any help/info.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:26 PM
sk8ingsailor

Default RE: Steering servos upgrade.

Don't laugh....but I have Blue bird servos 144oz BMS-620MG from SLICKzero.com $23 each They are a tight fit but nice. I have had them in for at least 6 tanks or more and on the track. I am going to the track in a min. $45 for two why not? I think I posted sitting videos on here not too longer ago.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:34 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone laugh at that? You found a killer deal. I might have to hook myself up with some of those.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:41 PM
sk8ingsailor

I was thinking that many people have not heard of these and would think that they were junk. I too was unfamiliar with this name. I read a little about them in a plane forum on here. I heard some neg and some pos; said what the hell why not.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:59 PM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

Aircraft people are bit more critical about servos since it's hard to pull over and park if you have a problem.....beauty of car guys is we can......
Old 03-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Smythx

What oz-in are the stockers(just for a comparison)?
I checked that out very good price.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:37 AM
sk8ingsailor

The stock servos JR 590 model = 85oz [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPSZ590]z590[/link]

[link=http://slickzero.com/Product%20Charts/Electronics.htm]Blue Bird @ slickzero.com[/link]
Old 03-30-2005, 09:51 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I've been using a couple of the BlueBird Cranker 190oz (BMS-660MG+HS) with metal gears/clear case/heat sink on my basher and for $55 each you can not beat them. I got mine from NitroHouse.

As good as they work it makes my AirTronics setup seem sorta expensive....
Old 03-30-2005, 10:13 AM
hdmax

This may help you guys/gals http://www.centralhobbies.com/radios..._compchart.htm

This gives the size of the one that come in the LST along with all others made by JR. How would the JR 615 work? I would have to check again on the torque, they have 181 oz/in each, They may be too big in size, I don't know. They have steel gears.
but the price is pretty steep, at about $75 each.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:30 PM
jefx

sk8ingsailor, since the bluebirds are larger, did you have to do anything specific to make them fit? I'm really considering the ones you have.........You just can't beat the price.

Also, how well do they center, and were you able to use the stock savers, or did you have to use Kimbroughs?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:49 PM
sk8ingsailor

Jefx,
NO trimming or nothing......they really are about the largest servo you can put in there. I feel like the only thing I took off was the front skid and receiver box. Man this is like my second big crash with these in and still fine.

HDmax ------------> 615s are slow .19sec I mean I doubt it will make a good driver lose a race but still............I guess I need all the help I can get. Maybe I jumped and landin in the wall because my front tires are backwards......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64178.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	251672  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:46 PM
NYCrewF150

Will the stock servo savers work? Looks like they are OUT of stock for now at blue bird.
NYCREW
Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 PM
jefx

Thanks sk8ingsailor. I tried to order them as well, but no luck. They don't have backordering either. Looks like this thread may have made them pretty popular for a few minutes.

Also, how about the centering? Do they return precisely to nuetral?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Smythx

2dmaxlst, did you have to do anything to make the BlueBird Cranker 190oz (BMS-660MG+HS) servos fit?

(Sorry jefx, forgot to look at who posted)
Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
sk8ingsailor

Jefx

Here is a video of my servos you can see them centering ...I guess.

[link=http://www.rcpics.net/media.php?trick=3&type=Video&limit=20&searchstr=bird&time=1112320882&search=search]Blue bird 144oz on MEATS[/link]
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: Smythx

Jefx, did you have to do anything to make the BlueBird Cranker 190oz (BMS-660MG+HS) servos fit, just wondering because you said that the Bluebird servos are larger than the stockers?
I don't have the bluebird servos, so I couldn't tell you. 2DMax has the crankers, so you should ask him.

sk8ingsailor, thanks for the vid. The reason I was asking is because the Bluebirds are a "budget" high torque servo, kinda like the Hitec 645. The 645 has definate centering issues. It seems that cheap servos are either accurate or powerful, but rarely have both traits. From your vid, the centering doesn't appear to be too good, but that could be because of the servo savers you are using.

What kind of servo savers are you using?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:31 PM
sk8ingsailor

I'm using the stock servo savers. Are they junk? I may get some nice $100 servos later.

I know these are'nt digital, but I made that vid from my Canon digi cam. And I did have those heavy ***** meats on. How can you tell when the center positioning is close to perfect?? What do you mean Jefx?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:02 PM
jefx

Centering is the point that the servo returns to when the transmitter wheel is returned to nuetral. A good servo will return to exactly the same point every time. The Hitec 645 (which I was using as an example) has a hard time returning to a consistant center. When you turn the wheels to the right and let go, the wheels will return back to center but still be slightly turned to the right, and the same with the left. They never actually hit a true center. They always favor the side of the last input when returning to center.

It looks like the same thing is happening in your video, but like you said, you are still using the stock savers and you also have Meats, and it's sitting on the floor, so I can't really tell from the video. The savers may be sucking up some of the return torque as the servos are trying to center the wheels.

The stock savers are designed for the 85 oz/in stock servos, so I'm sure they are sucking up much of the torque that the new servos are throwing out. You may want to try something stiffer, such as the Kimbrough #124s. The Kimbroughs are stiffer, but also have a little slop right around the center point. It's kind of a toss up for torque over precision.

Either way, thanks for the info. Even if the Bluebirds aren't perfect, you just can't beat the price. I'm still going to order some as soon as I can find them in stock. $48 for 288 oz/in, and .13 transit time is just too good to pass up.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:18 AM
NYCrewF150

JEFX: I agree JEFX; those servos do not look like they are coming back to center very well. But, as you noted, there are a variety of factors that may be affecting their ability to center, e.g., stock servo saver, meats, etc. JEFX, are you planning to put on better/stiffer savers when you get the blue birds, e.g., Kimbrough 124's?? If you do try this setup, could you please report back to us as to your satisfaction or lack thereof? ALSO, do you have any time parameters as to when they will again be available at that price???
Thanks
NYCREW
Old 04-01-2005, 01:08 PM
jefx

I actually already have the Kimbrough 124's. I bought them to try with the stock servos. They are stiffer than the stock savers, but just like every other Kimbrough saver I've ever had, they are sloppy. They do a sort of "wobble" right around center, which makes centering an issue with even really expensive servos.

I went back to the stock savers (with the stock servos), but I tightly wrapped a zip tie around the metal band of the savers to tighten them up a bit. Now my stock servos will turn the Meats on the ground with the same authority shown in sk8ingsailor's video. I'm gonna try the same set-up with the BlueBirds before going back to the Kimbroughs.

I don't know when they'll be available, I'm just gonna keep checking the website. I'm in no rush, as my stock servos work fine.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:06 AM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

I had one of the JR servos take a dump on my LST yesterday. The truck is only 6 weeks old so I hope Horizon or Losi will hook me up with a new servo. In the meantime, I put in two Futaba 3305 servos that I had laying around. On 6 volts, they're 123oz. each and .20 speed. Should be plenty for now. Using the Kimbrough servo savers. They will turn the Zombies lock to lock on carpet so they are plenty strong. Hope they work out.