Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST boken on 1st tank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
jbuck
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST boken on 1st tank.

How fragile are the Differentials. I bought a LST two days ago Idled the 2tanks that night. The next day I was trying to tune the thing running up and down my drive way. After a few passes I realized that there was no power going to the front wheels. Unpon closer examination the Diff. gears blew out. I know that the problems that everyone has with the diffs but during the first tank.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:53 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Default RE: LST boken on 1st tank.

What do ya mean by (blew out) ?
I have Cracked the Case be for but NO damage to the Diffs them selfs.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:57 PM
jbuck

The cases are fine (read no damage) the gears themselves are stripped
Old 04-01-2005, 04:03 PM
MrWills

I would send the diff to Losi and ask for a new one, or atleast try
Old 04-01-2005, 07:17 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: MrWills

I would send the diff to Losi and ask for a new one, or atleast try
Don't Know if they would help ya , Theres no way the Diffs Should have Stripped in Two Tanks though, And durring Break in, It should not have been going to Fast,Or aleast made some Grinding Noise or Something?

I drove mine with Cracked Diff Cases for a Few Days and when I put the Alum ones on they Still Looked Like New.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:15 PM
rcaddict83

April Fools maybe??
Old 04-01-2005, 10:45 PM
jbuck

No I made the assumption that it was the gears it was the universal had popped off the front diff. My bad. But seriously I put it back on and ran another tank through it. I got stuck against the wall so I threw it in to reverse after it had stopped. When I put it back into drive nothing happened. Now it will not move. the Rear wheels have no connection to the tranmission the universal is connected but no power to the gears. Front wheels have a little bu they give making a clicking noise. Haven't had a chance to dig into yet. But does anybody know what it might be ? ? ?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:14 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Did you Look at the Little Grub Srews? If they are Loose it won't go, I put Blue Locktight on Every Part I could Find that may come loose.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 AM
BLKHWK

Even if you lost rear drive you should have still have front.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:34 AM
jbuck

Once I reconected the front univeral and tried to spin the transmission by pulling the truck back while it was on the ground it made a horrible clicking/ grinding noise comming from the front Diff. I am abou to give up on this POS. So far Had it for 4 days and ran less then 2 full tanks since break in. I guess I will just have to give it more time to tell. Anyways glad I still have my Revo.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your diff case is probably cracked. It's the weakest part of a stock LST. Aluminum replacements can be had for $10 each. Everyone on the LST forums will recommend that you get the aluminum diff cases and a secondary gear cover right from the start. These are the areas most prone to problems. It can all be done for $25.

So the LST is a POS because you didn't locktite the cvds, and you haven't upgraded the diff case (which is a well discussed topic, and a $10 fix)? I'm glad you still have your Revo too.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:57 AM
mtdriver

ORIGINAL: jbuck

No I made the assumption that it was the gears it was the universal had popped off the front diff. My bad. But seriously I put it back on and ran another tank through it. I got stuck against the wall so I threw it in to reverse after it had stopped. When I put it back into drive nothing happened. Now it will not move. the Rear wheels have no connection to the tranmission the universal is connected but no power to the gears. Front wheels have a little bu they give making a clicking noise. Haven't had a chance to dig into yet. But does anybody know what it might be ? ? ?
From what you explain here that you put it in to reverse and then back to forward and lost drive, is that correct ?

If so you may need to check that the servo has fully engaged your forks in to the forward drive position

Try pushing the arm forward so that it clicks in to place and gently roll the truck forward to make sure it engages correctly

From what you explain about clicking it sounds like it is trying to engage forward gears and clicking back out without fully engaging

try it to see

hope that helps
Old 04-03-2005, 02:56 PM
jefdstef

Take a look at your parts list...in the transmission there is a part listed as LOSB3127. It is the transmission output shaft & spacer. I was running my truck back and forth and this broke on me. This little piece has a hole in it that in my opinion is a bad design. I guess if it gets twisted enough it breaks at the hole(weak spot) and you are no longer sending power from the transmission to the wheels. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem or not. When I went to order one everyone was sold out for weeks...which I thought was strange. I was told they did not manufacture alot of these because it was not a problem. I thought it was strange that a $3.00 dollar piece was so important. I went ahead and bought a new trans. on eBay and waited for the parts. Not sure if this could be your issue or not...good luck and remember part of the fun is fixing and learning about how the truck works, or at least that how I look at it.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:39 AM
jbuck

Alright I have I tore apart the front diff. and found that the Bezel gears( on the outside of the diff. case) were stripped. But I took out the front cvd so I could run 2wd and finally got the LST tuned and I have to say that it flys for a Big Truck. I know that trucks break and Do not mind working on them at all. I just wanted to play a little before I got into major maintenence on it. I also think that it is alot easier to work on then the Revo. I have a few other trrucks to compare the LST to so I far I have yet to see what it can do.

Some of My other trucks:
Revo: One of the toughest trucks I have seen right out of the Box. Replaced Engine with OS18TM. Blew Diffs Twice. relatively had to get to though.

Storm Utility Truck: Had problems with cvd's breaking(factory replaced) genereally fragile so I don't bash any more Still had one he!! of an engine

Losi NT2 drake: OS15CVRX Seems alright but I spun it out into a curb and broke a rear suspension arm and had to order another. Still waiting for parts to come in.

Ofna Jammin' X1: Stock engine sucks. Handles alright still waiting to get it onto a track But I am mostly going to bash with it Hope it holds up.

LST: Haven't givin up on her yet I just get discuraged of trying to figure it out. Running 2wd I am able to wheely on command in both HI and Low gear which is kinda Cool. Just want to be able to bash her until she screams for mercy.

RC18, Mini-T with Momba Competition X package, Mini-Quake, and XXX-T with Novak 5800 brushless.
Electric are get boring so they don't get used much.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:08 AM
trippin_on_lst

do you have pictures of these stripped gears. ???
Old 04-04-2005, 09:32 AM
jbuck

No I put the diff back in the car until take it back to the shop and have them fix it. I have spent enough money there where they will replace it and get it back on the road. Not to metion the guy who manages the shop is a pretty cool guy. But when I took it apart I could hold both outdrive cups with allen wrenches and turn the cvd comming into it making the gears click. I also pulled the spyder gears out of the diff and checked those and they were fine.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:51 AM
kevinb456

i cannot beleive the diffs just stripped like that.

apart from the cases, the lst diffs are solid. full metal drivetrain, it takes ALOT to strip out a diff in an LST and as of yet, i have never heard of anyone doing it, unless their diff case cracked and went un-noticed for a long time. i would really really like to see pictures, cos really im in disbelief.

get aluminium diff cases, decent receiver pack, secondary gear cover, a pack of spare arms and you will be loving this truck in no time
Old 04-04-2005, 10:22 AM
jbuck

Try to get everything up and running today if possible. and do alittle bashing.

Are the a-arms that fragile though that I should get an extra set of them ? ? ?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:22 AM
rcblaze

ORIGINAL: jefdstef

Take a look at your parts list...in the transmission there is a part listed as LOSB3127. It is the transmission output shaft & spacer. I was running my truck back and forth and this broke on me. This little piece has a hole in it that in my opinion is a bad design. I guess if it gets twisted enough it breaks at the hole(weak spot) and you are no longer sending power from the transmission to the wheels. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem or not. When I went to order one everyone was sold out for weeks...which I thought was strange. I was told they did not manufacture alot of these because it was not a problem. I thought it was strange that a $3.00 dollar piece was so important. I went ahead and bought a new trans. on eBay and waited for the parts. Not sure if this could be your issue or not...good luck and remember part of the fun is fixing and learning about how the truck works, or at least that how I look at it.

When you say back and forth were you switching between forward and reverse with out the truck coming to a full stop? I have also snapped this shaft and have seen it snapped on another LST I run with. I was pulling wheelies and nailing the throttle best I can tell when mine gave out. Trying to get an idea under what circumsatnces these shafts are breaking and if Losi needs to know about it. I started a thread on it.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:47 PM
jefdstef

bcash, I was going back and forth on grass (I live off a golf course and was going up and down the fairway, forward only) when I turned the truck around and gave it some gas it stopped. I have only used reverse once and that was just to make sure it worked. My opinion is because the piece has that hole drilled through it it creates a weak spot on the shaft itself. Maybe the ones that are failing are due to the hole being mis-drilled very close to the edge. I'm not sure, I was going to JB-WELD the pin to the shaft to see if that helped. I have since bought several of these and a new transmission just to play around with it.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 PM
MN_Wild

My diff cases didnt have a violent and impressive distruction but they did break. I couldnt even tell where for the longest time. What happened was the bearing popped out the side of the case. It only broke the lip off the case that holds the bearing in place. In turn when preassure was applied the bearing slid in and out of the case.....couldnt see it but it was doing it. Imagine this, take your case and drill out one side so you can slide the bearing in from the outside....while the diff is assembled. That is basically what happened. I put money the gears are good, physics states the weaker material will break first.