Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Spur gear Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 AM
johannkriel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur gear Problems

Hi,
I’m desparetly looking for some advice. I’m stripping a lot of spur gears. And have to replace all 4 gears before each race. I’m getting the tini gears, but it is still shipping. (on back order) Any advice? I’ve spent a lot of time to align all the gears, but no success. To much power for plastic gears? Thanks!

Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Baja T-Maxx

Default RE: Spur gear Problems

Well there are a lot of posts about this, but check this:
1.- Its your mesh set correctly?
2.- Do the engine mount screws are tight enough (do you put locktite so they wont come loose)
3.- Do you have the secondary gear cover (the Losi or ebay one?)
4.- When you put the new gears on, do you check that all the parts (bushings, bearings, spacers, etc) are assembled correctly?

This are basically the first thing to check if you are killing your gears at each race as you stated, if you already verify all of this, then maybe someone can jump in, because I wouln'd know what else it could be.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
XrayRacer

Even with the mesh set correctly, when I race on clay I my pinions melt down and eventually slip past the spurs, tearing them up. I have been running the TiNi pinions with stock spurs with the same mesh and it's held up 10 times longer. My next set will be all TiNi and that will surley solve this for good.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 PM
SCHLEPP
My Feedback: (1)

Is the slipper set too tight?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:56 AM
johannkriel

Hi, Thanks for all the posts. But, can i ask a stupid question. I'm not really english so maybe there is something lost in translation, but what is the mesh?
I've never change slipper settings. How would i check this to make sure it is the right setting?
I'm running the losi (horizon) secondary gear cover. I've made sure that the engin position and loctite are in place.

Think all tini would solve my problem? Because those are expensive to replace!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:36 AM
kevinb456

'mesh' means how well the gears fit together. you want a mesh that isnt so tight that the gears rub too much and the gears are chewed up, but similarly you dont want it too loose so the tops of the gears are sheared off. ask as many stupid questions as you want.

to check the slipper, it is the nut on the end of the spur gears. tighten this nut all the way down, then un-do it one turn (360 degrees, or 2pi radians lol).

the losi gear cover is okay, but the aluminium cover custom made that you can buy on ebay is better. this may stop dirt getting in the bottom of the gear cover.

i dont think all tini would be the best option, personally i think just tini pinions would work best for the money.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:49 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your engine support brace broken? It's the small metal brace that connects the top plate (where the engine sits) to the lower plate. It has been known sometimes break. If it's broken, it can cause chassis flex that could be affecting your gear mesh.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:31 PM
boogerdan

My suggestion would be to look at the easier stuff before you go from the harder to expensive. I had a problem with busting teeth on the plastic gears. I checked and rechecked everything, but missed the most overlooked point. Your slipper. The book says one turn out, when I turned mine out 1 1/4 turns the problem disappeared, and I still have two new gears that haven't needed to use now.

Look simple, then dig deeper, look simple, then dig deeper.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:48 PM
pointblank

I was having the same problem. As for the meshing, check page 9 of your manual (it shows the picture of how to properly align your gears). Anyway my problem was the surface IE sand. Once I put the secondary gear cover on, the problem went away. My gears lasted much longer with the new cover. When the second set of gears was mashed up, I got the TINI's and I love them! I swear this thing is a money pit, but a fun one at that...and this was supposed to be cheaper than planes. ROFL. [:-]
Old 04-07-2005, 02:33 AM
johannkriel

Hi, Thanks for all the comments. I think my slipper is to tight. I've turned it all the way in. I'll have a look, Thanks alot!

One other thing, It seems like there is a litte play (little loose) on my spur gears. But only in the "side to side" direction. Maybe 2mm each way at the ends?. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
pointblank

Yeah, the play is normal.