Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST Expert Owners Only!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:34 PM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST Expert Owners Only!

I am not trying to exclude anyone but, I need facts about the LST not opinion! This is so I can buy the right parts from the get go! I am by no means a newbie to this hobby so no BS.

1.) Common parts that break (weak spots)?

2.) Parts that should be changed right away?

3.) Recommended upgrades (o.k you can add your opinion here)?

4.) What wheels and tires fit?

5.) What bodies fit?

6.) Is there an FOC kit for it?

7.) What engines fit?

My brother and I are buying new MT's and it looks like Losi is going to be the winner but, I need as much info as I can before I go out spending my wifes shopping money!LOL[8D]
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Super Sooch

Default RE: LST Expert Owners Only!

a arms will break, diff cases will crack

I would recommend getting aluminum diff cases, multiple spare plastic a arms, aluminum are too much and will bend anyway.

I would go with Losi's hardened steel skid plates (front and rear) and center skid plate (also protects the exhaust). I put a Team Orion Wasp .26 and it was a direct fit. My friend put the Collari .30 and had some trouble getting the clutch bell to fit, he had to dremel part of the Collari's body down. I would put Losi's Titanium Nitride clutch bell and spur gears

the stock wheels are the as good as you can get, alot people waste their money on Pro Line 40 series but the stock ones are great, if you are going to be racing on a preped surface I would go with Losi's Super King Pin tires.

If you go with Pro Line's Ford F-650 or Chevrolet Silverado bodies they are too big and you will not be able to start the truck with the body on them, they sit about four inches too high from the top of the cooling head so you can't take a temp reading with out taking off the body. I would go with Team Losi's Racer body. It fits nice and looks cool as hell.

Team Losi is coming out with a FOC but no release date as of yet.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
icenutz

I am not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Does that qualify me?
Old 04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
SCHLEPP

I have the Silverado body on my truck and can read engine temp and start it just fine with the body on, have a small notch for starter clearance and the hole for the glow starter allows temp readings. The alum diff cases are a must. The Tini gears are not necessary unless running in sand, etc. or the slipper is run too tight. The Irate customs secondary gear cover is a must, purchase it off ebay. The stock clutch didn't suit me so I put an Ofna blue alum kit with the gray springs, much more durable. I have the XTM large wheels with Meats. Crazy Nut Racing brake kit and wheel hexes recommended. The stock wheel hex pins break frequently so I purchased 3/32 piano wire and made replacements, problem solved. I installed an SH .28 engine and love the awesome power, the roto start is an easy install on it. Any othe rquestions just ask, we're all in this together. Good luck
Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 PM
LoSiSuPeRtRuCk
My Feedback: (-1)

diif cases, extra plastic arms, ofna or savage cluth shoes and springs, some spurs, some locktite and your golden[8D]
Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 PM
hdmax

ORIGINAL: Super Sooch

a arms will break, diff cases will crack

I would recommend getting aluminum diff cases, multiple spare plastic a arms, aluminum are too much and will bend anyway.

I would go with Losi's hardened steel skid plates (front and rear) and center skid plate (also protects the exhaust). I put a Team Orion Wasp .26 and it was a direct fit. My friend put the Collari .30 and had some trouble getting the clutch bell to fit, he had to dremel part of the Collari's body down. I would put Losi's Titanium Nitride clutch bell and spur gears

the stock wheels are the as good as you can get, alot people waste their money on Pro Line 40 series but the stock ones are great, if you are going to be racing on a preped surface I would go with Losi's Super King Pin tires.

If you go with Pro Line's Ford F-650 or Chevrolet Silverado bodies they are too big and you will not be able to start the truck with the body on them, they sit about four inches too high from the top of the cooling head so you can't take a temp reading with out taking off the body. I would go with Team Losi's Racer body. It fits nice and looks cool as hell.

Team Losi is coming out with a FOC but no release date as of yet.

Why get the TiNi clutch bell gear? Those gears are metal already, I just got the two large gears in TiNi (Spur gears) I would think that is enough, as something has to give out, and I would rather it be on the outside of the transmission, and not the inside. Just a thought!

Is the Wasp a better engine then the Mach? how is the horsepower, and rpm compared too the stock engine?

And what is FOC?

If the truck will be used for racing, you may be better served to lighten the truck by getting rid of low range if possible, and reverse.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Jayphred

I haven't heard of anyone bending the aluminum arms yet.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:28 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

[/quote]

Why get the TiNi clutch bell gear? Those gears are metal already, I just got the two large gears in TiNi (Spur gears) I would think that is enough, as something has to give out, and I would rather it be on the outside of the transmission, and not the inside.

If you Only use TiNi Spurs, They Will Eat the Stock Pinions in 2 or 3 Tanks, TiNi is to Strong to go with the crappy Stock metal.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:15 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FOC stands for Forward Only Conversion. That means eliminating the low range and reverse.

The stock pinions are made of aluminum, and can wear out quickly in bad conditions. The pinions being the smallest and highest revving are under the most stress. If I were to get TiNi gears, I'd start with just the pinions and keep the stock plactic spurs.

I am by no means an expert, but I am pretty familiar with the LST.

1. Diff cases, a-arms, tank primer.

2. Get the aluminum diff cases and a secondary gear cover.

3. Aluminum or RPM a-arms, Losi high performance brake pads, remove the primer.

4. All Tmaxx/Savage wheels have the correct size hex drive, and most should fit. The only thing that would keep them from possibly working is if there isn't enough offset so that the rims rubbed the turnbuckles (when fully turned).

5. You can make most bodies fit, but they may look funky. Proline has a series of bodies exclusively designed to fit the LST, MGT, and GEN. The Crowd Pleazer 2.0 is the the most durable in my experience.

6. There is a FOC on it's way, but you can do it by yourself fairly easily with a little creativity. The LSTs tranny is one of the most simple, yet strongest and most effective trannys ever made. Upon opening it, you'll easily be able to see how it works, and how to mod it to FOC.

7. All big blocks that have pull start or shaft start (no bump boxes).
Old 04-06-2005, 06:51 AM
HOLMES

You also might want to get some lunsfurd titanium tie rods . And there is a guy on here that bent his aluminum a-arms (worldsfastestsupra)
Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
worldsfastessupra
My Feedback: (9)

yea I bent aluminum A-arms. Wait till the RPM arms come out and see if anyone has problems with them. Get Ti turnbuckles, alum diff housings, and extra c-hubs and spindles. You should be good after you get all that crap.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:45 AM
kevinb456

1) a-arms, diffs cases. also in my experience tie-rods/turnbuckles.

2) aluminium diff cases. a-arms are okay for a while unless youve got money to burn, just get a spare set.

3) receiver pack, aluminium diff cases, secondary gear cover, titanium tie-rods

4) XTM large series wheels are a good choice, they are the same xternal size as LST tires, but the rims are larger. also all tmaxx wheels/tyres.

5) proline hummer, CP2, ford f150, f350 and f650, also a few others not made by proline.

6) there is an 'official' team losi LST kit in the works, but an ETA is not yet available. however, several people have made their own kit.

7) pretty much any big block rear exhaust. SH .28 is popular because of its price. however the mach is still a very good engine, and can be increased with a better pipe and a sportwerks carb.

yes, youve made the right choice getting the LST... its awesome
Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Jayphred

Which aluminum arms are bending?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:00 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Spiker racing from what I have heard.

[IMO] If I was going to spend that much on Ti I would expect them to weigh much less than alum (they are very heavy) and at least have sway bar mounting native to their design. [/IMO]

I've been doing very bad things to my Alum arms by MADMAC and I have never bent or broken one....

Click for large version
[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/LST/bash_build_9_40%20(large).JPG][/link]

There no question that the FlexTek are the strongest made but if you can't break or bend your alum and the Ti weigh more and can not have swaybars (this makes them un-racable) my question is why??
Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 PM
azimutguy

nice way to ask for advice [:@]
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
PoppaRacer

I have answers to all your questions, but I'm not an expert...
Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 PM
arubadubis

My understanding is that the Spiker Racing parts are not very good. I have beat the crap out of my Dynamite arms, and nothing has happended to them.

Oh, but sorry, I'm not qualified to provide an opinion.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:12 PM
LST GOD

weak spots are A arms, body posts when you flip it they scrape, and thats about it for me, good engine is LRP Z.28R, also SH.28 and wasp, buy aluminium A arms and body posts from www.dynamiterc.com they will last and look the part
get some super king pin tyres from www.teamlosi.com nice grip, most wheels fit it from t-maxx, revo, tnx, mgt etc go for what you think looks best and get out there and trash the beast

watch my video on http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=53596
Old 04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
LST GOD

also dog bones, CVD's and bulkheads, watch out because my forward/reverse servo lost its reverse function, maybe invest in a better one, a good hop up is the twin stinger exhaust system from RD
Old 04-08-2005, 05:19 PM
R/C Madman

WOW! What a list of parts that break or should be replaced! I am going back to plan A! Thanks for all the input![8D]
Old 04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
kevinb456

theres really not that much, this is what i think you need strength wise:

diff cases $20
Ti tie rods $45

then either a pack of spare a-arms $10? or get RPM ones, about $50.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: R/C Madman

WOW! What a list of parts that break or should be replaced! I am going back to plan A! Thanks for all the input![8D]
Whatever. Everyone has different experiences with their trucks, and drives them in different conditions, and has different skill levels. You asked several different questions, and got many different answers from many different people, who have many different opinions. Many of which aren't necessarily "weak points", but just recommendations.

I'm sure you could ask the same questions at any forum, about any truck, and given enough time, you'll have responses from enough people to cover just about every part on the truck.

The only things that you actually "need" are fuel, batteries, and a glow charger. The rest is all personal preferance.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:31 PM
LstRacer76

i race my lst every weekend and have been very lucky. nothing has ever broken only keep stipping the spindles. no arms or diff case problems yet. also if racing the stock spur and pinion gears must go and also buy the secondary gear cover.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:40 PM
R/C Madman

ORIGINAL: jefx

ORIGINAL: R/C Madman

Whatever. Everyone has different experiences with their trucks, and drives them in different conditions, and has different skill levels. You asked several different questions, and got many different answers from many different people, who have many different opinions. Many of which aren't necessarily "weak points", but just recommendations.

I'm sure you could ask the same questions at any forum, about any truck, and given enough time, you'll have responses from enough people to cover just about every part on the truck.

The only things that you actually "need" are fuel, batteries, and a glow charger. The rest is all personal preferance.
I am not knocking the LST but, that is a long list whether from one person or many! I had to weight broken part cost over the cost of upgrading the radio and engine and the latter won out in the end. I also got PM's sent to me from members that I would consider experts (As I stated before I know a thing or 2 about this Hobby as well) in this Hobby that own LST's and they recommended another MT for the kind of use or I should say abuse I am going to dish out! I have to say thanks to the one member that swayed my decision![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-19-2005, 07:54 PM
jefx

You asked negative questions and you got negative answers. If you would have asked for reasons why the LST is a good choice, then you would have got positive answers. But in the end, it only took 1 person to sway your opinion (ThermalRD, perhaps?). And that one person has probably had the worst bad luck streak out of everyone else here.

Either way it's your loss. Enjoy you're Revo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.