Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Motor Temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:21 PM
ahspots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Temp

Whats a good temp to run the mach motor at. Right now mines seams to run the best around 260-270. If I richen it up it becomes very sluggish. In the owner manual it says to run at 220-230. So will I hurt it running at the higher temps?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:23 PM
agge

Default RE: Motor Temp

how new is your engine? I'd keep it below 250 personally.. but I know people who run 280ish and their engines outlasted mine.. go figure.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:21 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ahspots

Whats a good temp to run the mach motor at. Right now mines seams to run the best around 260-270. If I richen it up it becomes very sluggish. In the owner manual it says to run at 220-230. So will I hurt it running at the higher temps?

What kind of temp guage are you using, and what is the emmisivity set at?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:17 PM
LST-UK

Using the high capcity tank my LST peaks at 270 at the end of the tank..I wouldnt worry too much about temps, just use it as a guide line...So if it needs to run at 270 for performance, so be it...
Old 04-15-2005, 12:15 PM
ahspots

I use a venom micro temp, And I have about 11/2 almost 2 gallons thru it. I dont know what "emmisivity"
Old 04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
jefx

I use a venom micro temp, And I have about 11/2 almost 2 gallons thru it. I dont know what "emmisivity"
Is it an onboard temp guage, or an infrared temp guage?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 AM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

Mine runs great at 270 -280 it's got hoter with no harm, it's had about 4 gal's thought it and I try to lean it and it won't run. hotter weather is coming . I've cut a big hole in the windshield and it still run's way hot but good. If anyone has an good solution I want to know. Ben
Old 04-16-2005, 01:00 AM
jefx

I can't believe you named yourself "benifur".

Anyway, what type of fuel are you using, what kind of plug, and what type of temp guage (and what's the emmisivity on your guage set at)?

Oh, and welcome.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:51 AM
benifur

frist I had the benifur nicname way before the internet. I was fury at one time LOL. Anyway, I have a MIP on-boad TG-3 pre-set , I'm running O'donnell car 20%, it has an 0rion 05-S hot filament glow plug. I've ran other plugs but these seem to run it best.

Oh what you got against my handle was good for ben & j-lo and I had it frist LOL
Old 04-16-2005, 01:25 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: benifur
Oh what you got against my handle was good for ben & j-lo and I had it frist LOL

Ok, if you had it first then it's ok. I just thought that you named yourself after them.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:23 AM
MN_Wild

Do a search on ebay for a user wakefly68 he sells an awesome cooling head for the mach. I was running 280 or so and with the head I am running around 220 or so. When all else fails I always start over with the needles 3 for the high and 2 for the low. Takes half a tank to tune and your set. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:03 AM
MrBillUp

Hi MN Wild. I'm just about to purchace one of them Cooling Heads from Wakefly68! Thank's for the tip. Mine isnt getting hot as of yet but I'm sure gonna put one on just to keep the temp's low!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:17 AM
benifur

could you tell me how I can get intouch with wakefly68 I would like to get one of those cooling heads I tried ebay but didn't see it help me please thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
benifur

well I found the guy so thanks odered one I'll let everyone know if it works
Old 04-20-2005, 07:07 PM
MN_Wild

Benifur,
The Head worked really well with my Mach. Before you install it set the needles back to factory settings and re-tune with the new head (for best results) This head is the real deal, I couldnt be happier with it. Hope you have the same experience.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:41 PM
HOLMES

I run mine at around 200 to 220 . I don't think the temp really matters until the truck starts to lean bog . The only thing with useing after market cooling heads is if you run the motor lean at around 280 then put on a head that drops the temp down to 240 its still running lean just not hot .
Old 04-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Ched

Has anyone put a small fan on the LST. I have some fans that came off a video card that would not draw much current. I have rechargeable reciever packs anyway. I have a kyosho beetle that has a belt drive fan on it and it stays cool. I just got my flashpoint infrared temperature gauge and haven't used it yet. My engine runs great and if it is hot I will put a fan on it.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:38 AM
FTWOTHTB

Benifur....You said you found the guy with the cooling head.. Can you let the rest of us know where? Thanks DBMcGee
Old 04-23-2005, 07:53 AM
biggdawg800

[link=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZwakefly68]wakefly68 on ebay[/link]
Old 04-24-2005, 08:06 AM
FTWOTHTB

Thanks ...Got one ordered....
Old 04-28-2005, 10:06 AM
MrBillUp

Emmisivity: Many external forces can cause errors in how temperatures are measures by infared temperature gauges. This is because infared temperature gauges do not make physical contact with the heated object- even when they are measuring the exact same point! There is a way to adjust how infared temperature gauges read temperatures that can make up for these unwanted external forces, and make temperature readings more accurate.

"Emissivity" is the way that an object emits heat energy into the air. Emissivity is always rated by a numerical value. Different types of materials have different emissivity values. An object's emissivity is dependant on it's surface condition, material type, temperature and wavelength of temperature measurement. Adjusting the infared temperature gauge to compensate for the emissivity values of different objects is the key in getting the most accurate temperature readings.

In general, an object having perfect heat dissipation characteristics has an emissivity value of 1.00 (think of like saying 100%)- this is the absolute maximum possible emissivity value. Thus, the higher on objects' emissivity rating the better the temperature gauge will be able to make an accurate reading without any adjustments. The lower an objects' emissivity rating, the more inaccurate the temperature gauge will be and adjustment of the temperature gauges emissivity setting might be needed. The absolute lowest possible emissivity rating is 0.01.

These settings are for the DuraTrax FlashPoint and may differ from other Temperature Gauges. Always read the instructions that come with your temperature gauge!

Aluminium: Sandblasted (standard car and airplane engines, not anodized) set the emissivity at 21E
Aluminium: Anodized (for colured car and airplane engines, may be powdercoated) set the emissivity at 77E
Battery Packs (with or without covering) and Airplane Covering: Leave at default 95E.

In English! All materials distribute heat to the air different to eachother and your temperatue gauge needs to know this to give you an accurate reading of you engine temps. If you have an Anodized head, it will give you a different temperature reading to an Aluminium head and also a polished Aluminium head and so on, so make sure you set the emissivity value on your temperature gauge to the right value for the material and condtion your head is.

I wanted to know what Emissivity meant also so I found out!! Most of you probably already know this, so it's for the people that dont!!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:56 PM
kevinb456

im using a nova head. shiny aluminium. what should i set the Emissivity at? ive been getting quite hot readings, so im hoping an incorrect Emissivity may be part of the problem.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:22 PM
MrBillUp

Yo Buddy! Set it to 21E as it has no artificial covering and it also has a flat polished (shiny) surface, so the lower the emissivity will be. As a guide Copper has an emissivity of 0.05 as it's so shiny.

I think this is right m8, if anyone can correct me, feel free. It might be even lower m8 as it is polished!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:31 PM
benifur

I put the new cooling heads on my LST's and they lowered the temps down to around 240 . I'm happy, maybe my engines will last longer, one of them has been over 300 and still runs great wheelies when it hit's sec no problem
Old 04-28-2005, 07:00 PM
MrBillUp

Yes i've just orderd a new Head from Wakefly off e-bay, they are mean't to be really good and lower the temps by 60F. I dont think I'le lean it out to much more, just run it a little cooler and try and prolong the engine life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.