Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Way too much brake and no wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:22 PM
simmyoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way too much brake and no wheelies?

Ok, so i received the mach 26 back, all tuned up and ready to go, so off i went for a slow run around to get used to the feel of the truck, then i decided to stretch her legs,

I must say im impressed,

however, i have a couple of teething problems.

In the uk we have the Team losi 3 channel radio, im not sure about the us but i know yours is way better, Obviously we use the auxillary channel for reverse gear selection.

The brakes are far too grabby, its either on or not, with very little in between, if you brake slowly it dosent brake hard enough, if you brake fast its endo city.

when i first started with my session, if i grabbed on the brakes it would nosedive, afte a while though, when braking it still nosedives but now theres an audible clicking that sounds like gears skipping. Any ideas?

how do you guys make the standard lst brakes useable?

Problem two, well not a problem so much as a dilemma.

Im under the impression that the lst is wheelie happy, however, under full throttle from stading start mine simply dosent.

Initially i thought the slipper was too loose so i tightened it up, probably a bit too tight to begin with as i started to get a bit of dust from the clutch housing. whoops. anyway, after tweaking it till it just about slipped when holding the wheels and turning the gear i figured it was set pretty much ok.

Still no wheelies,

Any ideas what i might have set wrong?

Other than that KICK ASS TRUCK and the best part is it totally anihalates mu mates savage, sooo happy!

many thanks all

Old 05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
MrBillUp

Default RE: Way too much brake and no wheelies?

Adjust the Exponential on the Brake to 50% buddy (will make brakes more progressive) that will sort the brakes out for now until you get your High Performance brake pads which are alot better than the stock!

You might have your LSN to rich which is making your truck bog down and not getting the snap you need for wheelies. I have the same problem m8 and I am trying to discover wether the Fuel I am using is to high in Oil (Byron 20% Nitro 16% lube) If you figure this one out m8 give us a shout!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
simmyoto

and i do that by.... page numbers in the manual would be good- not too clever lol, either that or ill give you a call tomorrow to talk me through it. Im thinking ill be needing a nice new mugen clutch as well lol, im only on a 16% nitro that the lhs reccomended for break in Mcdonnell i think its called
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 PM
MrBillUp

Page number 22 m8. If you get stuck give me a call!
Stick the Clutch in m8 and the Brake pads, cost you less than a tenner and makes quite a bit a difference!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Casper78

I'm in the same boat, no wheelies. Well that is none when going forward but in reverse its a whole different story it has no problem lifting the rear end off the ground in reverse which seems strange as you would think that the rear is heavier than the front. Does this happen to anyone else

This grave me the thought that maybe if the rear springs were stiffer so that it could not squat in the rear end it may lift the front. I'm still running a little rich as well.

I know that as soon as possible I will be upgrading the brake pads as well
Old 05-06-2005, 08:57 PM
MrBillUp

All the Videos and Reviews I have seen, people are not having any problem at all popping wheelies (from standard) In actual fact people are complianing that it wheelies to much, yet you have 3 people here unable to pop any sort of wheelie at all. Are we inadiquate or is there summit we are not bieng told? I wished I knew!!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Rockman

I finally figured out the best combination. I use O'Donnell White Lightning 20% fuel with 8% oil. I tightened down the slipper tight and then backed out 1/2 turn. Before I thought I had tightened it down and now realized I had more to go. I changed the setup to allow switch A to put on more or less brakes, switch B gives dual rate steering. 3rd channel for forward/reverse is now on thumb trigger on handle (I have to be careful).
In grass I now can wheelie at about 215 degrees. I may try to lean the low end just a little to see what it will do. I am using the stock clutch shoes. I used to use XTM slider clutch and may go back to it but still testing.
Rockman
Old 05-07-2005, 12:36 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: simmyoto

and i do that by.... page numbers in the manual would be good- not too clever lol, either that or ill give you a call tomorrow to talk me through it. Im thinking ill be needing a nice new mugen clutch as well lol, im only on a 16% nitro that the lhs reccomended for break in Mcdonnell i think its called
Try some Higher Nitro 20% or more,
The Clicking or grinding you hear when you hit the Brakes Could be your Diff Cases,
The stock cases Crack very Easy because of the power of the Brakes and the Mach,
I wound Up-Grade to Alum Diff Cases as Soon as You Can,
As far as Wheelies go, Get your Tune as best as you can and Try doing them on Grass it will give ya more Grip to get the Front end Off the ground.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
MrBillUp

I have my slipper out 1 1/4 turns, will this stop the truck from wheelieing[sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: MrBillUp

I have my slipper out 1 1/4 turns, will this stop the truck from wheelieing[sm=confused.gif]
Yea!
Turned out that much its slipping To Much, Turn it in at Least 1/4 a turn, I run mine at 1 tune out, But alot of people fun them Tighter at 3/4 out and some at 1/2 out.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:55 PM
MrBillUp

Thanks Jason, I will do that. I have already got a Pin missing on one of the half shafts and I didnt know wether it was the slipper to tight so I turned it out a bit more. I do miss wheelies though so I will wind it back in!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:31 PM
kevinb456

always run the slipper at 1turn out, unlike the savage, the slipper clutch actually WORKS, so theres no need to tighten it any further than the losi recommends.

to improve the brakes - get the losi HP brake pads, or another aftermarket setup. also as mrbillup said, adjust the brake exponential.

about the clicking sound when you brake - this is probably because you have broken a plastic diff case. this is a very common problem and is definatly a 'required' upgrade. get the aluminium diff cases and this will solve it.

for wheelies - what fuel are you running, what glowplug, what is your slipper set at? also tuning plays a massive factor (obviously) in the cars ability to wheelie. there are so many things that can affect it.

and yeah its a kick ass truck, glad your enjoying it
Old 05-07-2005, 05:59 PM
simmyoto

and the prize goes to kevin, as can be seen from the attached pictures Diff case = DEAD.

i did order the alu replacements last wednesday from Apex models, but as of yet no show. just hope they arrive monday, oh well, there goes tomorrows bashing!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78564.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	268325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96392.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	268326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67911.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	268327  
Old 05-07-2005, 06:14 PM
biggdawg800

I too couldn't wheelie too good with mine till today. I have 2 gallons of byrons 20% through it and it was running good just had a hard time getting wheelies. I switched to byrons 30% today and WOW it really woke up the lst. now I can get good wheelies and sometimes it is hard to keep it down.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:40 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

and the prize goes to kevin, as can be seen from the attached pictures Diff case = DEAD.

i did order the alu replacements last wednesday from Apex models, but as of yet no show. just hope they arrive monday, oh well, there goes tomorrows bashing!

Ya must have missed post #8
Old 05-07-2005, 08:01 PM
simmyoto

Many apologies, credit where credits due, jason gets the prize- which is a london postcard LOL!!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:13 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Many apologies, credit where credits due, jason gets the prize- which is a london postcard LOL!!!!
Thanks Man!
I never Won anything on the net Before.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:49 PM
MrBillUp

ORIGINAL: SublimeJason

Thanks Man!
I never Won anything on the net Before.
I have buddy. I am the 100,000,000 customer on nearly every website I enter. So far I have 50 Holidays waiting for me 2 sign for!!
Old 05-08-2005, 08:21 PM
LosiLST08

-Casper
I'm in the same boat, no wheelies. Well that is none when going forward but in reverse its a whole different story it has no problem lifting the rear end off the ground in reverse which seems strange as you would think that the rear is heavier than the front. Does this happen to anyone else That's same with me, but yet again, i have factory low speed needle settings. I am surprised my dif cases haven't cracked yet. I'm tryin not to slam on the brakes too hard, causing them to crack, although can't they crack after landing a jump? I took my LST off a few jumps today and i got some decent air, am surprised, again, that it they didn't crack.