Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Beach Truckin

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Casper78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach Truckin

Hey people, quick query. I have finished breaking in my new truck and I want to take it everywhere with me. Here in Oz we have some great beaches but I'm not real sure if sand could cause any problems with the truck. Has anyone done muck truckin in the sand and if so does the sand seem to cause any ill side effects.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Tweedybird

Default RE: Beach Truckin

I'd never run any of my r/c vehicles on the sand or near a beach due to the salty air and corrosion factor, but thats just me.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:29 AM
MrWills

I would have to agree with Tweedybird... If you do run it in the sand, I would just make sure you clean every little, tiny bit of sand out of the truck. The salt and sand are a really nasty combo for corrosion and wear. Its your wallet...
Old 05-07-2005, 07:30 AM
fourwheeler

Yo might ask "tocache" he has a vid of his running on the beach.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Tweedybird

I flew my vigor down the shore once on vacation a few years back, and I ended up having to do a complete rebuilt when i was done, just from the salt in the air. Not to mention all the sand that was in the chopper from the blades kicking it up on take off and landing

I suggest you leave your truck nice and safe at home when you go tot the beach. These mean mammajammas weren't built for beach bashin
Old 05-07-2005, 07:54 AM
RabidRacer

i fear to run electrics on the beech sometimes because of the tiny sand getting in a hole in the motor would fry it. but run nitro at your own risk.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:12 AM
FTWOTHTB

Sand & Rc Trucks are like oil & water they don't mix...Dirt is bad enough, but sand ????
Old 05-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Tweedybird

yeah I would love to be able to run my trucks/cars in dirt free environments Like Nitro Indoors on rugs, fully ventilated of course

Now that would be sweet, like a rollerball rink with burms and raised wood jumps, perhaps an indoor bmx track like I use to run on when I was 12..

Ahh the thought of no dirt!
Old 05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
ncgrunt

If you do it I would be sure you're running a secondary gear cover and be very sure that you air filter is secured with zipties. If that thing comes off and sand gets in the engine, just kiss it goodbye.

Otherwise I think it would be ok. Personally though I'd dig into the diff cases and tranny after a few days (or one day if you run a lot) and see how much sand was making it in there. Corrosion is a factor near the beach, but I don't think it's going to cause any problems if you're just talking about running at the beach a couple times a year.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:27 PM
ahspots

I'm over here in Kuwait the biggest sand box off them all. I have around 5 gallons thru mine. So far i have gone thru a whole set of gears, but is was because I did not have a second gear cover. Now that i have one and Titaniun gears, I've had no prablems. The stock air filter is doing a great job of keeping the sand out. I keep the outer cover dry and run K&N air filter oil for the inner foam. After a race night (around 6 tanks) I will take the outer cover off and find very little dirt on the inner foam. Let me tell you the sand over here is not you typical beach sand. Its almost like Comet cleaner most of it is so fine that it finds its way into almost anything. i would say that the truck is holding up very well. Thank God I don't have to put up with salt in the air.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:29 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Tweedybird

yeah I would love to be able to run my trucks/cars in dirt free environments Like Nitro Indoors on rugs, fully ventilated of course

Now that would be sweet, like a rollerball rink with burms and raised wood jumps, perhaps an indoor bmx track like I use to run on when I was 12..

here ya go.. I like the idea http://www.tamiyatrucks.com//index.p...showtopic=2832
Old 05-08-2005, 03:18 AM
PeteOz

I have had mine to the beach a few time in southern NSW (Narooma) and it was a BLAST! I didn't find much trouble with the sand at all, except everywhere that nitro was spilled or sprayed. I ran it 3 days in a row right next to the water etc and found no corrosion. Make CERTAIN that you have the ebay secondary gear cover or your gears will be toast in no time. ( I am actiually having some of these covers made here in AUS next week.. PM me if you need one)
Old 05-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Casper78

Thanks guys. I think that the truck will stay away from the beach at the moment. My brother has an old Nitro traxxas, I think that we will put some sand tyres on it and let it loose on the dunes.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Tweedybird

ORIGINAL: Mr. Bungle

ORIGINAL: Tweedybird

here ya go.. I like the idea http://www.tamiyatrucks.com//index.p...showtopic=2832
Yeah, i'm not flying to London to drive R/C

Old 05-11-2005, 09:35 AM
tocache

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

Yo might ask "tocache" he has a vid of his running on the beach.
LOL heres it!:

http://www.rcpics.net/img/52230

Ya, check my blog for more pictures

[link=http://tocache.blogspot.com]http://tocache.blogspot.com[/link]
Old 05-12-2005, 08:35 PM
wal

Hi Casper78,

Your truck will love the sand, you will need to clean it after though. Most of the truck is either aluminum or plastic both of which can handle stand ok.

What’s the point of living is OZ if can’t LST on the beach. Watch out for the council inspectors though.

I live inland but I have run it on the beach a couple of times with out problems, and on one occasion it was a full two days until I got home to clean it.

I went down to SuperCheap auto and spent about 100.00 on a small air compressor and degreaser kit. I simply use the compressor to air spray the bulk of the sand and crap off, cover the air cleaner spray the entire truck with degreaser and let it sit for about two – three minutes hose it down with the garden hose then spray dry it with the compressor.

Works like a charm every time, well worth the money.

Ps take the air nozzle with you to the beach, when you are done slip into the servo on the way home and use there tire hose to get rid of most of the excess sand.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:32 AM
Casper78

After seeing Tocache's vid it's going to be very hard to keep the truck off the beach. I've got a big air compressor at home as it seems tto be the easiest way to keep the truck clean. I'll strip the truck down after it's been on the sand and give it a really good clean.