Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Possible Reciever Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:02 PM
JayzLST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Reciever Failure

I've got a problem that progressively got worse over the past 3 days. During day 1 the truck would glitch the throttle servo and the failsafe would kick in about 2-3 times per tank, hadn't happened before but I figure there was just some interference. By the end of day 2 it was now glitching about every 5 minutes and now affecting the shift and steering servos, so I switched channels three times but no help, I also pulled the failsafe but no help there either. Moving on to day 3 the glitching had gotten even worse to the point of actually shifting the truck into reverse a couple times and the glitching was now happening about every minute or two. I went through a tank trying to figure it out, shortly into the next tank all the servos would die (stop moving) then come back to life. It did this for about half a tank, before stopping completely. If I turned the power switch on and off at first it would revive the servos and make them work again but only for about 30 seconds and that only worked about 3 times after that it didn't matter, it seemed to have a mind of its own.
I use a standard battery pack 6v and typically charged it every two tanks while trying to figure this out, the transmitter got charged about every 4 tanks. I connected 4AAs to remove the power switch as a problem as well. The glitching and ultimately complete failure happened regardless if the truck was running or not which removes engine vibration as a cause as far as I can tell. If there is anyone that can give me more suggestions on things to try I would appreciate it.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:22 AM
SavageBeast

Default RE: Possible Reciever Failure

[:@]
Old 05-09-2005, 09:35 AM
kevinb456

he has got away from AA's...read it again
Old 05-09-2005, 09:38 AM
LSTdude

Is your fuel filter in the stock location? If so, relocate it to a place where it can't vibrate against the motor or any other metal part of the car. This intermittent metal to metal contact can cause the servos to glitch.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:20 AM
SavageBeast

Old 05-09-2005, 11:00 AM
GBR012

If it was my truck I'd check the wiring. It might have been crushed or cut at some point causing a short somewhere.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:20 AM
deep_six

I had a similiar problem with the throttle servo and the shifting servo glitching. I could unplug the throttle servo, and everything worked fine but when it was in both would glitch and the failsafe would kick in. Ended up being a wasted throttle servo due to water damage. Dont know why it made the shifter glitch but it did.
Just my 2 cents
Old 05-09-2005, 02:24 PM
LosiLST08

I also had a problem with using AAs at first. It seemed to be the wire was messed up, but when i switched to an RX battery pack... problem solved. My advice, get a battery pack.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:10 PM
kevinb456

hes got a battery pack!!!!! cant you people read [>:]
Old 05-09-2005, 03:38 PM
SavageBeast

Old 05-09-2005, 03:42 PM
kevinb456

hey man dont get so aggressive, i meant it in a light hearted kind of way, i was 'chilled out'.

he said he has a battery pack and he also tried some AA's just incase the battery pack was duff, so all im saying is that i think he has got the battery end covered, its probably caused by something else.

and i dont appreciate being told to 'grow up'. firstly, thats very rude, and i really dont deserve it. and secondly, why would anyone ever want to grow up?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:00 PM
biggdawg800

My truck did a similar thing and i had to replace the power switch and move the fuel filter to get it to work right. don't overlook the on off switch my lhs spent 3 days and many new parts on a couple of buggies to find out it was the on off switch making things glitch.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:12 PM
JayzLST

Thanks for all the information,

LSTdude: The fuel filter is in the stock location, but I wraped it in a dense foam before I started it the first time and never had a problem till recently.

GBR012: I will give the wiring a look over tomorrow. Hopefully its something simple as a worn wire.

deep_six: The truck hasn't seen water, but I will try and pull a servo to see if that corrects the problem.

biggdawg800: I thought it might have been the switch as well, but when I used the 4AA battery pack I connected it directly to the receiver by-passing the switch altogether.

Also I doubt the fuel filter is causing the problem cause it still glitches or is completely non responsive even when the truck is not running.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Did you try it with-out the Fail safe? maybe its the problem.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:48 AM
JayzLST

Update:

I gave the wiring a look over and there was no damage or kinks anywhere on any of the servos. I also pulled the servos apart to make sure the wires were still soldered fine and hadn't detached. I also tried disconnecting a servo or two while it was glitching or non functioning but didn't have any affect. Once reassembled it seemed to work till I moved it 3" by hand and it started all over again. I noticed a white powder on a couple of the servo connectors that wiped off easily as well, not sure what it was though. I'm going to mess with it again this weekend, if anyone has any other ideas let me konw but I figure I'm going to have to send it into warranty does anyone know how long warranty work typically takes?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:15 AM
GBR012

I suffer more with my boats than my LST, BUT electricity, dissimilar metals and water aren’t a good combination. The white powder sounds like corrosion on your receiver connection pins. I had something similar on one of my boats. I now regularly check them, and WD40 them. Waxoil and petroeum jelly would also work. Unless someone else says different, give them a clean and oil