Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Mach 26 temperatures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Marcy G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mach 26 temperatures?

Well at long last i had time to try and break in my new LST, as i've been holding it back for ages.
Anyway i set it all up on Sunday morning. I filled the tank up with 20% Tornado fuel (brand new, just opened that morning) and i got ready to start it. After about 10-15 seconds, it wanted to start and sounded like it had, until i stopped the spin-start. Another 5-10 seconds later and it fired.
I was trying to idle it on the floor next to a wall and at first it seemed to be going great: white smoke, lots of spitting, eager to move. Then about 1/4 into the tank the revs were getting quite high (this could be normal but i'm not quite sure) and as i glanced down at my venom smart temp. the temperature read 177 degrees centigrade (set up 1 notch from what venom suggests).
Is this right? i would of though if i carried on it would of done too much damage and as the car is really rich (2 turns LSN and 3 1/2 HSN) this shouldn't happen, should it?
I'm running the standard glow plug which came with the car as suggested by dynamite and i'm using brand new 20% tornado fuel.
Anyway i though i try and fire it up again to see if it had the same affects, but this time i leaned out the HSN to 2 3/4 turns. As suspected the smart temp read 152 degrees centigrade before i cut it off and it wasn't even through 1/4 of a tank. Also there was a lot of white smoke like something was burning, coming somewhere near the cooling head[&o]
Can anyone help me please? this would be most appreciated as i would like to finish the running in process before Sunday, as i'm off for a week for Half-term

Many thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM
brandon17617

Default RE: Mach 26 temperatures?

WOW it got way too hot!! it should be only to 240 degrees FARENHEIT MAX. remember centigrade would be near half that so 120 degrees centigrade. i do not remember the exact conversion. but u said lots of white smoke u need lots of BLUE smoke whe n u are breaking it in. the blue smoke means it is burning the lubricant as well. the best way to fix your problem would be let it cool completely. like overnight. then try it again but make sure it stays below 240 deg farenheit. the manual says 230 but they are always extra cautious i dont start to worry till about 235-240. u need to richen your high speed needle a lot about 1/4 turn. also i wouldnt recomend running the car on a blistering hot day. and even more important really high humidity will affect it more drastically. the most important thing is lots of BLUE smoke.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:01 PM
MrBillUp

Marcy G, try the LSN at 3 1/2 turns out. I found that my LSN was running way to lean on 2 1/2 turns out. Rumor has it that the newer Mach engines had a different LSN needle setting! When you do this lean the HSN out a tad to balance the mix. If this dosent work then I would then look for an air leak as 350F is way to hot and can be dangerous to the lump. I have my temps at 270F and it runs fine. You will find that the engines all have different temp levels they run best at, it's just a case of finding your temp. You should not really let your engine go past 300F. If you can get your temps to sit at 240F then your doing alright!!

PS. The reason I say try 3 1/2 on LSN is that you mentioned the engine started to rev high which may be the LSN to lean or it could very well be an air leak. You need to do a bit of investigating and it might be worth while sealing everything you can on the engine anyway for some piece of mind!!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:45 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I second that. It should stay around 200- 230F when breaking in. I also had to richen up the LSN about a turn more than recommended to get it to run reliably during break in. My Mach didn't want to run at all during break in and I was pretty frustrated but now that it is broken in and tuned I couldn't be happier! Be patient and good luck.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:24 AM
simmyoto

I can confirm Billup's post there, the uk importer Helger racing confirmed to me in writing that the LSN's on the newest model of the lst had a different specification which meant they needed to be run much further out.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Marcy G

Thanks all you guys, i knew you wouldn't dissapoint me. I let ya all know how it goes all on saturday as i will go down to my LHS for peace of mind.
By the way, do you think i could of caused any damage going to such great temperatures?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:19 PM
ncgrunt

How long was it running at the highest temp (177C)? If you shut it down as soon as you saw that then there's probably no extremely bad damage, but I'll bet it took at least a bit off of your piston/sleeve life. The other bad thing that I just thought of is that if anything else happens to the engine they probably won't honor the warranty since it's been run too lean.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:59 PM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

I have an old lst and a new one they bolth run way hot, during brake in it wasn't a problem it's was when I started really running them the got to the 300+f I've put a different aftermarket cooling head on each of them and it helped but they still like to get to the 280ish piont at the end of a run I was thinking it's way I run on my not finished track me like to race at times in a oval and at times a figure 8 bolth have 100+ ft. straitaways so you can peg it and keep it there (except in the corners and my oval looks like indy so you get about 40 ft at each end) I just figure you can't peg them for a full tank with out them getting way hot but to heat up like that during brake in I would think air leak look at the gas tank if it's foamy and the fuel line has bubbles it's the primer it's nitorius for this if you don't think that's it seal the back plate and carb I use red rtv high temp silicone and the smoke thing at the head sound like the is a little loose that's probablly the leak.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Marcy G

Hi there Ncgrunt, well when i looked at the temperature before, it was at 110 degrees centigrade and as i went in to grab a tuning screw driver (dad was out side still though) it went up to 177 degrees. That was when i immediately shut it off!
Owell i'm not that bothered if it has done damage, i would probably use that compression liquid what you put in you fuel as your engine is losing compression. But on the other hand i wouldn't mind having a collari .30 but i really like the sound of a sirio .30
Now I hoping that the washer is still in now!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Marcy G

Thanks for that advise benifur. Also when i threw the fuel away i looked in the fuel tank, but no foam and i don't think there are bubble in the fuel line, but when i try and start it up next i shall look. Furthermore my LHS suggested that my cooling head may be loose but i don't know what hex it takes, so i will have to try that soon. Finally i was thinking of getting a nova cooling head as it done wonders to my savage temperatures, so at least i might try that to see if it helps.
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies!!!! and i let ya all know how i get on, on Saturday
Old 05-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Bluegrass Hobbies

marcy g

i ran a 15 minute main a couple of weeks ago, ambient temperature was 70, the motor was 209F when i got fininshed. you need to look for an air leak or split fuel tubing, something if it got that hot. also have you ever checked your temp gauge against a hand held one? not knocking it but just wondering if it was something that might be giving a false temp reading maybe due to the sensor part of the wire being too close to the exhaust? if you do it will read high temps even if it isnt too hot.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Marcy G

Hey there Bluegrass, i was thinking that the gauge might be giving a false reading too, as when i touched the head it wasn't as hot as i suspected (i didn't even get a burn mark at 177c). But this is my only means of checking the temperature as I'm only a kid and like i only get £40 a month, so this goes before i blink[&o]. But i might save up for one in the near future, saying that I'm sure one of my m8s or my LHS can help as they must have one, so that will do for my running in. Also i see what they think about my venom smart temp. and if they think the truck has any air leaks (can't be bothered to take the engine out and put a sealant every, as knowing me i will much it up somehow when i didn't need to).

Thanks everyone so far for the response (you have much better ideas what could be wrong than my local hobby shop e.g fuel content too high lmao).
Anyway hopefully i will be off to my LHS early on Saturday Morning to start my running in process (might be too hot though as it's going to be about 22c over here) or i might see whats wrong with my savage (clutch binding or something). But i've got a whole week off from school as it's half term, so theres no rush.
Cheers and i will keep you all informed