Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Enormous Cooling Head

who tried this giant cooling head out? is it GOOD?
    looks nice.

thanks for any info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz79679.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	278752  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Enormous Cooling Head

BTW...how about the one made by NOVA RACING?

which one is bigger/better?

thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my brother put one of the enormus cooling heads from american cnc on a picco outlaw 26 and it dropped his temps 60-70 deg F. I have one I will be putting on my SH 28. I would highly recommend his stuff. my brother just got his tmaxx chassis too and it is top notch best i have seen.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Works great!! Dropped temps at least 60 deg on my Mach .26. I just got an SH .28 on sale at Hobby People yesterday.Do you think the head will fit it too? They look similar,same manufacturer, as I've heard on this forum.
    Losi LST,XXN-T,Mini LST,Mini LST2,Micro Baja,Axial AX-10,Stampede MudBogger,Rustler,Mini M-01,Mini TG-10,TL01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't think it is the same the 28 has a bigger bore. he makes a head for the 28 though.

http://www.acncm.com/detail.aspx?ID=49

on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

which one is bigger?

nova race head or enormous? thx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

id watch it with the head just couse the head says ~210 with the head without the head you could really be running like ~300 degress[X(]
    my garage

LOSI LST-roll bar- costume body- yellow springs-drifting tires!-more to come!

R.I.P. sean 6/2/04

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah watch them bigger heads. While they do improve cooling and will allow for a leaner mixture. You have to keep a close eye on the core temp of the combustion chamber. The larger head can fool you into running a lean enough condition to damage the engine. While a hand held temp gauge may show a low head temp. You will want to get a temp probe that will get the temp at the glow plug way down in the hole.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might be getting a lower temp, but regardless the motor is still running lean. Tuning the engine isn't just about temps. I'd stick with stock or slightly larger than stock cooling heads.
    END OF LINE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The way we tuned my brothers was to get it running great with the stock head. then we switch to the enormus head and didn't tune it anymore just the occasional tune for temps. should be the best of both worlds that way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought an oversized head from wakefly68 on eBay, so that I don't have to worry about engine temps when the ambient temperature is over 100. It's only slightly bigger than stock, and I think I paid aroun $25 for it. It lowered my temps around 20 degrees, should be perfect. Like the Biggdawg, I did not lean my engine out more after installing. If you are asking if you need this, I'd say only for bashing (especially if you are making a rock crawler - slower speeds & higer revs = higer temps), or if you are as crappy a racer as me and go too slow sometimes! [:@]
    Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I see a glass that\'s twice as big as it needs to be.
    My opinions are my own, and are not necessarily those of RCU

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have a venom temp gauge, is that the best way to measure the temp of my motor? or should i use that temp gun with that laser thing? or is there another product out there that i should use? if someone knows of another temp gauge would someone please post a link?
    lst8368, 2400 battery pack .30 sirio black rpm arms boe ties3 hitec 5925 servos alum diff cases titanium tie rods hummerbod

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rm-rf

Yeah watch them bigger heads. While they do improve cooling and will allow for a leaner mixture. You have to keep a close eye on the core temp of the combustion chamber. The larger head can fool you into running a lean enough condition to damage the engine. While a hand held temp gauge may show a low head temp. You will want to get a temp probe that will get the temp at the glow plug way down in the hole.

that doesnt matter - unless you tune your engine by temperature (which is just stupid) you shouldnt have a problem - always tune your engine by air/fuel mixture and how the engine reacts (sounc, acceleration, smoke etc). temperature should only play a very small part in tuning, dont rely on it too much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definately! I used to go by the idea that the bigger the head, the better. NOT true. Unless yoiur particular engine is undercooled, then adding a huge head will just allow you to run too lean and do damage. A couple of examples would be:
    1) TRX2.5 - Runs hot, but mostly due to other problems, such as carb leaks. The Nova head is really too much for it, it can lead to overleaning which in turn leads to HIGH temps. I fought this all last year. THe CNR "shortly" head is the one for this engine.
    2) Force .25 - I put a Nova on this, and was able to lean out and get a PILE more power. It worked GREAT for bashing, but once I had to use it on the track in a buggy one day, I started to burn plugs due to a lean condition.

Some engines just do NOT need it! (RB's, for example.)
    Temping further down the hole makes no difference either, the oversized head is still cooling the entire engine, not just the head itself.

It's allabout the smoke trail, as was just said. I rarely temp my RB's, Novarossi's, etc., any more, just at the end of the tank to put a grin on my face. (I love seeing 210 after a full tank of racing hard!) Tuning by smoketrail is different for each engine, but once you get yours figured out, it is a very reliable way to tune an engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"head will just allow you to run too lean and do damage"

as i said!!!! this doesnt make the head a disadvantage - it only allows you to lean the engine while maintaining the same temp. but you should tune an engine on air/fuel mixture - so just because the temp is lower doesnt mean you can lean it. aslong as you tune properly, a bigger head is always a good thing (unless it gets <190F or so! then its just not hot enough for the metals to expand properly)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...p/MVC-719F.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...p/MVC-717F.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...p/MVC-718F.jpg

A few pics of the Enormous Cooling head from http://www.acncm.com/detail.aspx?ID=36

It's not a big as I thought but it is alot thinner than the stock head which will allow the heat to dissipate a hell of alot quicker!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...p/MVC-721F.jpg

Another added with the body on!
    009376 Red LST..
    ..Alu Diffs,Mugen shoes-1.1 springs,NE Roll Bar,HP Brakes,2nd GC,Helotes 2500nimh R and T,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put one of the nova cooling heads on mine. Does a much better job than the stock head. Im down to 185 degrees at tune.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

im up at 270F with nova head - and im not running lean, this is one hot engine [X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mrbillup have u run the engine yet???? i i where u id move the airfilter thats REALL close to the engine!!!!

use a Traxxas exhaust coupler! from the sounds of someone thats has it it works great!!!!
    my garage

LOSI LST-roll bar- costume body- yellow springs-drifting tires!-more to come!

R.I.P. sean 6/2/04

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hobbyadict

mrbillup have u run the engine yet???? i i where u id move the airfilter thats REALL close to the engine!!!!

use a Traxxas exhaust coupler! from the sounds of someone thats has it it works great!!!!

I have'nt run the engine yet no! I need to go back to stock settings and re-tune to 220F if I can, then fine tune. I run the air filter the other way, I turned it 180 deg for the photo's sake. I will be getting the Savage 2.5 Motor Saver as soon as I can afford it!

I must say that now it is on the mach it is collosal and these are very very well made and has very thin fins so a Roll bar is a must.
    009376 Red LST..
    ..Alu Diffs,Mugen shoes-1.1 springs,NE Roll Bar,HP Brakes,2nd GC,Helotes 2500nimh R and T,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kevinb456

im up at 270F with nova head - and im not running lean, this is one hot engine [X(]
    Do you have the center of your windshield cut out ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5981345500&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT[/link]
    Is this "cool" or what!!
    Losi LST,XXN-T,Mini LST,Mini LST2,Micro Baja,Axial AX-10,Stampede MudBogger,Rustler,Mini M-01,Mini TG-10,TL01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FORDMIKE65

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5981345500&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT[/link]

Hope this works.Is this "cool" or what!!
    That dose Look Cool,It looks like it could work?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems to have a pump,reservoir,radiator & a water-cooled head like used on marine engines.Pretty cool,but must add some weight to an r/c truck.I might ask the guy a few ?'s and ask for some more pictures.I like it! Would make a nitro truck even more realistic.I wonder if the water pump is a small electric motor or is driven by the engine?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Systems like that have been around for awhile. The pump is a lil vacume powered diaphram pump ran from the pulse from a line from the crankcase or intake of the engine. Someone awhile back was making a nicer looking system that had a lil aluminum radiator. The system he is selling there looks a lil barbaric as far as the radiator and tank is concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast