Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

SH .28 tuning question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 10:02 PM
alvinm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SH .28 tuning question?

I'm having a little trouble tuning this engine which I've heard is really easy to tune.I sort oh have running ok now(10 tanks) but runs fairly hot(260+) and its still pretty fat on the low end.It loads up big time if you let it idle for 5 seconds or more(anyone else have that issue?)I removed the tank primer and inline filter,no air leaks from fuel lines.Not sure on carb,everything seems tight.Can anyone give me their current needle settings or any advice.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: SH .28 tuning question?

I run this engine on my Savage and it doesn't have any loading issues. You may be too lean on the HSN. Lean the LSN and richen the HSN. Mine only got to 265 running 30% Tinity Monster HP WOT in grass for the entire tank with the body on. Seal the engine, the carb, and the pinch screw. Keep your inline filter as the LST doesn't have an in-tank one.

Be sure the carb is down and pinch screw is tight. Also, be sure that the exhaust is tight.

I am running more turns (rich) than the manual suggests on the HSN and LSN. If the engine won't tune, even after sealing, replace the LSN, HSN and idle screw o-rings as mine are toast (New ones on order).
Old 06-06-2005, 05:11 PM
alvinm

How exactly do you "seal" the engine and are there tell tale signs that is the problem?The manual says 2.5 on hsn,I'm way over that too.Lsn is richer then recommended setting but not by much.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Here is how to seal: http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233

I seal an engine before I fire it up the 1st time. It is cheap insurance and allows you to get to know your engine.

Tell tale signs that you have an airleak: running extremely hot (290+), irratic tuning after the engine is completely broken in (Can't seem to get it to run right or consistently for even a tank).

With mine I had sealed it and had 2 or so gallons on it when I developed an air leak. It would run properly like a bat out of hades for 1-2 minutes after first starting. Then, performance would go down and the engine gets hot (regardless of tuning). I can be pouring out smoke and oil and the engine still lacks punch. With my Savage and 18/47 gearing (15/49 is stock), that SH wheelies everywhere and has LOADS of power. When it wouldn't wheelie, I knew something was amiss. I found it to be the O-rings on the LSN HSN and idle screws. Why did they go? I have no idea. I ordered replacements, but one is on backorder, so I guess I will wait.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:11 PM
alvinm

Good stuff,thanks.