Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Air Brush or Can..Which Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:59 PM
FTWOTHTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Brush or Can..Which Paint

Well I am going to try painting my own Monster truck body. Which is best ...Airbrush or Spray can? Also any favorites for paint brands that are compatable with lexan bodies? Thanks
Old 06-17-2005, 04:56 PM
NiTrOnub

Default RE: Air Brush or Can..Which Paint

If you can, use an airbrush. You'll waste less paint and you can do finer work. If you're a good masker you can do just as good of a job with rattle cans as an airbrush. I personally use Pactra Laquers. They spray the smoothest for my brush. Pactra also makes an acrylic line as well that eliminates the laquer fumes that some people dont like. Faskolor sprays ok for me, seems like a lot of people like it. it really just boils down to what you want. Any polocarbonate paint will work with lexan.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:59 PM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

I prefer to use an airbrush. Much better paint control. A rattle can tends to spray on very heavy. Can cause runs. The key in either case is to TAKE YOUR TIME. I've seen some good ideas come out like crap because you can tell the person rushed it. Masking is very important. I recommend using liquid mask as tape mask has a tendency to lift and allow paint to bleed through....

Just take your time.....
Old 06-17-2005, 08:31 PM
RCtruckRacer

2 cans of Spaz Stix aerosol: $14.00 (purple/red/blue and a backer) vs $150 for a halfway decent airbrush setup with a compressor, and no paint. Just depends on how much you are willing to invest. I've seen some KILLER paint jobs with rattle cans, and some poor ones with an airbrush. Of course ALL the very best graphics are done with the airbrush...
Old 06-18-2005, 03:40 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I use Pactra Laquer and a combo of airbrush and cans depending on what I'm doing with the paint. Here is my first body in about 15years. It's done like I just described. All tape masked as well. I have never used liquid mask but I'm told it works wonders.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:59 PM
adrian_b

I bought a cheap airbrush ($AU30) and some faskolor paints and did my first ever body and it came out good. Some dodgy spots but they were my fault, not the paint/equipment.

I used the canned air to run the airbrush which turned out to be expensive. If you get a compressor make sure you get a moisture trap and a regulator with it
Old 06-19-2005, 02:25 PM
dragon108

Can you use an air compressor from a nail gun?
My dad has one and I would like to use it with an airbrush.
If it can be used what other equipment will I need? (I don’t have any thing except the compressor)
thanks for the info.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dragon108

Can you use an air compressor from a nail gun?
My dad has one and I would like to use it with an airbrush.
If it can be used what other equipment will I need? (I don’t have any thing except the compressor)
thanks for the info.
Yes you can but you'll need an air dryer/ filter and a regulator to regulate the pressure down to what the airbrush needs.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Hezrou

Will this be the first shell you will be painting? If it is i would recomend doing a simple 1 or 2 colour shell with some simple line masking. You can used rattle cans and get very nice looking body. This is also the cheapest method if you dont already have a airbrush.

As for paint I am very partial at the moment to using SpazStix paints but I have heard good things about the faskolor paints.

When you use masking tape to mask off make certain you burnish the edges throughly. Use your finger nail or anything smooth and hard that is rounded. I have been using the top end of my craft knife lately after I have removed the blade .

check out the LST pics thread you will see some very nice and simple shells which you can use as insperation. The most important thing though is to take your time. This cannot be stressed enough.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 AM
FTWOTHTB

Thanks to you all for the tips & hints. This looks like it could be real fun. There are so many great looking shells out there it does give hope for a decent job. Thanks again Bruce
Old 06-22-2005, 09:15 AM
icenutz

I have had issues with bleeding when using masking tape. I know use blue painters tape and it is awesome. Easy to cut also. You can get a roll at Wal Mart for $2.00. I have been using Faskolor paints with a Paasche and some colors are easier to spray then others. One of these paint jobs I will have to try Pactra paints.