Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Big-Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

Hey guys, i'm looking for suggestions on shocks, oil and springs for my new LST. The stock set-up is nice and soft, but I think it may need to be stiffened a bit. The nose was also higher than her butt. Well, after a few spacers were pulled, this was solved. Are there some shock towers with a bit more mounting spots? That would help tune her better and give me more options on ride height.

I'm really wanting some threaded bodies, the spacers have to go. The Losi units look good, anyone have something to say about them? Anything else worth looking into? The Integy's perhaps? A bit pricey, and are those piggy backs worth it? Anyone tried the Hot Racing units? I think those were threaded also?

I think the stock oil is 30 all around? Any suggestions here? I might be changing to 40 or 45 up front?

Is it a good idea to fill the diff's with oil? Or is the grease worth leaving in there?

I wanted something a little bit harder up front for springs, any ideas here? Are those RcRaven progressive springs pretty good? I think they're about $10 for 2, so thats a pretty good price.

Well, thanks for the help and tips, they're all appriciated.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:09 AM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: Shocks

I have heard nothing but bad things about the integy shocks, and all hot racing products.

As far as tuning the suspension, I change (slightly) mine for each track I go to. My current set up is: shocks, 35 front 30 rear - 6.8 lb spring front, 7.4 lb rear (not positive on the spring rate, but I know it is one step softer in front than back). I also have 50K oil in both dif's - its almost like I have a Dana 44 at both ends! I HIGHLY reccomend the sway bar kit as well. I use the small set in both front and rear.
This set up is for my main track where I am a club member. Another track I go to has HUGE jumps and lots of rough runs and I change to a heavier set up for that one.

The threaded shock bodies are awesome, but they really only give you a convenience factor, the spacers on the stockers give you the same adjustments, though perhaps not as fine.

You should find that the biggest improvement will come from the sway bar kit. I can't say enough about it! Oh yeah, I buy all my parts from my LHS or [link=http://www.killerhobbies.com]Killer Hobbies[/link].
Old 06-24-2005, 10:11 AM
dOWa423

ORIGINAL: Big-Kid

Hey guys, i'm looking for suggestions on shocks, oil and springs for my new LST. The stock set-up is nice and soft, but I think it may need to be stiffened a bit. The nose was also higher than her butt. Well, after a few spacers were pulled, this was solved. Are there some shock towers with a bit more mounting spots? That would help tune her better and give me more options on ride height.

I'm really wanting some threaded bodies, the spacers have to go. The Losi units look good, anyone have something to say about them? Anything else worth looking into? The Integy's perhaps? A bit pricey, and are those piggy backs worth it? Anyone tried the Hot Racing units? I think those were threaded also?

I think the stock oil is 30 all around? Any suggestions here? I might be changing to 40 or 45 up front?

Is it a good idea to fill the diff's with oil? Or is the grease worth leaving in there?

I wanted something a little bit harder up front for springs, any ideas here? Are those RcRaven progressive springs pretty good? I think they're about $10 for 2, so thats a pretty good price.

Well, thanks for the help and tips, they're all appriciated.
Shocktowers: There are some aluminum towers out there that have more mounting holes but I would keep using the stock shocktowers. Replace as necessary.

Threaded shock bodies:Go with the LOSI ones.

Shock oil: I run 50 weight all the way around, but I am sure that 40 or 45 is good too.

Diff's: I swapped the grease in my diff's with 50 weight silicone in the front and 100 weight silicone in the back (Thick silicone, not oil)

Springs: LOSI yellows or New Era 8.8lb. I am currently running the RCRaven 8.9 dual rate springs. Good price.

Hope this helps.[8D]

Old 06-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Big-Kid

Thanks for the tips LST Racer and Dowa

I'll deffinately be getting the diff oil and sway bar kits. When I drop the diff oil in, do I need to clean off the grease? Or can the two be mixed?

I'll be sticking with the Losi shock bodies. There are a number if good LHS that stock most of these parts. Thats one of the reasons why I chose the LST, and i'm glad I did. The only thing with changing oil in this thing, is i'm going to need Costco sized tubes of shock oil!!

Have you guys tried the Losi King Pins? Or do you stick with the 40 series tires from Pro-Line or Panther for the lighter weight and smaller side wall?[8D]
Old 06-24-2005, 04:07 PM
dOWa423

I would clean as much of the old grease out as possible, maybe use some de-nautured alcohol or solvent to get it all. Then replace with Silicone, I would not use oil in the diff's.

I have heard that the Panthers are quite a nice tire but I have not used them personaly. I have been using the XTM large series rims with the XTM BRT1's tires.[8D]
Old 06-24-2005, 04:10 PM
RCtruckRacer

I personally didn't like the king pins as much as the Maxx size bow ties - and the 40 series are just too small to run on the LST IMO. The king pins were a little bouncy for my tastes... hard to steer if your bounciing. I have yet to try the Panther Pythons, they seem to be the best of both worlds. People are mounting them on the 23mm dish wheels, but they are most definately made for the Revo wheel. The beads fit perfectly. Because of this, I don't think they match up well with the dish wheels, but apparently they work good enough. Believe it or not, other than the Maxx size bow ties, the stock tires work best - so far!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Big-Kid

Thanks for the tips guys. I meant to say i'll be getting silicone diff fluid. I'll try to get as much grease out before adding it. So the diff isn't prone to leaks then? Or there haven't been that many isssues at least.

I didn't know there were Max size Bow Ties. I'll have to check those out. So the Panthers need the 23mm wheel to mount on then? I was trying to stay away from getting those Pro-Line 23mm hexs just yet. I wanted to spend the $ on some other stuff. We'll see.[8D]