Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

what is better

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
revo rock555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is better

my friend wants to get a new nitro truck. he was thinking about the lst but didnt know if it was worth it. then he was thinking about the monster gt but didnt know if that was a good truck. since i am on the losi fourms you guys are going to say lst but is it really worth the money to get lst or go with a monster gt for cheaper. soory if this is agasint fourm rules.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Devilmanak
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what is better

The LST is a much better truck. While the quality control during assembly is poor (on mine at least), the truck is far more technologically advanced. While it costs more, you get a lot more also. ($200 radio.) I paid $600, sold the tires, radio, and engine assembly, put my stuff in, and had just over $300 into it. (Granted, I already had an XS3 and engine.)
It took a lot of tweaking, but at my track last week there were only TWO cars/trucks that broke 10 laps in five minutes. My LSP and my LST. 1/8 scale buggies couldn't even do it! (And I run 1/8th scale buggy, and did quite well.)
I don't know if the GT has sealed diffs or not, but the ability to tune the diffs is a huge plus on the LST. Plus, working on it is a BREEZE! (Diffs in/out in 5 minutes, tranny out in less than 10.) The drawbacks would be the quality control, as I said. Mine had wrong screws in it, they pinched the rx antenna TWICE between frame rails and plates, my front lower suspension arm lasted half a tank, had to go RPM, etc. My pinions looked like they were shredded after two tanks, I now have a cover on the cover. I wasn't real happy. Also, my header EXPLODED last weekend and cost me an A-Main. My truck was number 8118, so that may have had something to do with it, I don't know.
I guess, if he wants to get into a big truck cheap, and would be thrilled with a new truck that runs, and is bashable, get the MGT and save some bucks. If he wants all out performance and would even be advanced enough to notice it, LST.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with the Losi LST, but i own an MGT and i think it is a very nice truck. It may not be the fastest thing out there, but it is solidly built, easy to dismantle, and comes with a very reliable engine. The electronics are not up to the standard of the LST's, but as they sayyou get what you pay for and you can upgrade later on if you wish (if you have the $$$). The drivetrain of the MGT is very solid, and i have had zero problems with it so far.
I would agree that the LST is a more advanced truck due to the radio, triple plate slipper, high/low gearbox and dual steering servo's, but the MGT was built to be simple, effective and reliable.
If you can afford it i would reccomend you go with the LST, but if you want a good all-round truck which can take a beating AND race competitively with a few modifications (engine, steering servo) then go for the MGT. You will not be dissapointed with either truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92269.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	291277  
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM
revo rock555

hey thanks. have you ever seen a mgt run before. and are they any good. thanks for the replei
Old 06-28-2005, 06:01 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Devilmanak
Also, my header EXPLODED last weekend and cost me an A-Main.
Well, it at least saved him from fending me off in the A-Main.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:00 PM
jandsrc
My Feedback: (2)

Being a former owner of a MGT and a current owner of an LST i must say the LST is twice the truck. At Least. Low range option means not only do you have a Monster Truck but also a very capable rock crawler. Hands Down the LST is a better truck. When I purchased the MGT i was a loyal Associated man. the Losi has showed mwe the error in my ways. Either way for a Monster truck you can not go wrong.[sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 06-28-2005, 07:48 PM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

I own them both, so I think I have a pretty objective view of these two trucks.

IMO, if you want something that runs right out of the box, starts everytime, needs nothing when you buy it, go for the MGT. Its not as fast as some of the other MTs, but its still pretty quick. It also has great suspension. I think of the MGT as the "evolution" of MTs. A step above the T-Maxx and Savage. Lots of nice features but nothing revolutionary, no boundaries pushed. But, its been a very reliable MT for me.

The LST is also great. Great suspension, lots of nice features. Its a very good truck, BUT you need to do a few things right off the bat. If its an older one, I'd check for the washer (I'd do this anyways). Then the diff cases seem to break pretty easy, the clutch shoes go out pretty quick. I put the aluminum diff cases, removed the washer, werks clutch, and switched to aluminum A-arms. Its now a very reliable and fast truck. Good for bashing and racing.

So, it comes down to budget. If your friend is on a limited budget, I'd go for the MGT. If he/she can afford the few upgrades, I'd go for the LST
Old 06-28-2005, 08:15 PM
revo rock555

well i am going to tell him thathe should get the mgt since he dont want to spend the money on the lst. thanks you guys.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

LST is worth it and a great overall truck. I have one and love it, I would suggest it to anyone.