Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Expert Break in Advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 PM
lightningspeed
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert Break in Advice!!!

Just got my Mach back from horizon and i am in the process of the RB Heat Cycling method. I have a few questions taht need clarified.

1. When they say dont be afaraid to get the temps up to 200. when should i be worried about the break in temp?
2. What is a good idle, how do i tell if it is high or low?
3.I have only used a half tank of gas and i have done 5, 2 minute runs with temp up to 210 -220. Is this normal consumption of fuel during a break in?
4. how much throttle should i give it during the break in? do i give more after a certain amount of heat cycles.
5. it appears to have a good amount of smoke and the acceleration seems good. i am only giving it half throttle for a few seconds and idle then half then varied ect.... do you think i am not too lean for the process?
6 about how much fuel should i use before i can start running her? half gallon?

Well I am heading to garage for another cycle.
more questions pending

Thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Devilmanak
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Expert Break in Advice!!!

You are going to get a hundred different opinions on this. Every manufacturer tells you smoething different also. THe main thing you need to do is get the engine to 200 as fast as possible, even by preheating before starting. Until it gets to operating temp, it is just scrubbing metal away, piston to sleeve. If you are breaking in an engine with new bearings, then you need to be careful with applying throttle too fast, or you can damage the balls. I have an engine break-in method that I use, I got the advice from someone who runs a lot of hiogh-end motors and know what he is talking about, has worked great for me, and takes less than an hour to do. I won't recommend it though, there are too many ways for a people to screw it up and do some damage.
Main thing, make sure it is 200 plus, all teh time, if you have to run foil or something on the head to keep temps up, do it. Rich means cool, whioch means engine wear if it isn't kept up to temp. I use a heat gun on the engine until it is completely ready to rock. Get a quarter gallon through it, you will be fine. I just broke in my new TM728, I did 5 or 6 tanks before the first heat. I ran 2 five minute heats, then a 30 main, and I noticed somewhere in teh 30 minute run that it started to break in, run cooler, and make power. Every bigblock I have owned has started to "wake up" at teh gallon mark. It doesn't mean you can't run it hard before then, just that it loosens up enough to make full power.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Nitronutt

1) Keep it in the low 200's - 200-210 for instance. Like Devilmanak said, get the temp to 200 quickly.

2) A good idle is steady without loading up the engine and will not cause the tires to spin, even when the truck is off of the ground.

3) Yes.

4) Give it 50%-75% throttle (It makes it much easier if you adjust down the throttle EPA in your radio) in 2-3 second increments. You can lengthen the increments and increase the amount of throttle as you get beyond tank 3.

5) Should be fine.

6) I would say 4-5 tanks...Then gradually go to full throttle and go longer. My Mach really came into its own using this method at nearly a gallon...Until I had about a gallon through it, the power just kept getting stronger and stronger - little by little.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
gunslinger686

{quote Devilmanak}

I just broke in my new TM728, I did 5 or 6 tanks before the first heat. I ran 2 five minute heats, then a 30 main, and I noticed somewhere in teh 30 minute run that it started to break in, run cooler, and make power. Every bigblock I have owned has started to "wake up" at teh gallon mark. It doesn't mean you can't run it hard before then, just that it loosens up enough to make full power.

My first post here and you have a nice site here no lst yet just reading and learning.

can you explain what you mean by 5 or 6 tanks then 5 min heats & 30 min heats ,,in the 5 or 6 tanks what temp were you runing???? thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Nitronutt

Welcome! Gunslinger, by tanks, I mean 5-6 full tanks of fuel...not races. We are talking about heat cycling during break-in, not race heats. For my first 6 tanks I kept my temps below 220. Now that I have almost 2 gallons on my Mach, I run 230-250 degrees consistently.

I don't recommend running "hard" until you have at least 5 tanks of fuel on your engine. The idea is to break it in for maximum life AND power. If you are patient and break-in as described above, you will have the best of both (life and power).
Old 07-29-2005, 08:50 AM
lightningspeed

Thanks for the info. I feel alot more comfortable with this break in now. The first engine was smoked after the 3rd cycle and I thiught maybe I did something wrong to help contribute to the conrod failure but after doing a little research i have found that i was destined for the breakage.

I have just put my 5th tank through her and i am pleasantly excited about how this baby runs. She fires up without and troubles and she runs very well at this stage and i am looking forward to squeezing some more power out of it tomorrow when i go to our local track that has just been built here in ohio. So if anyone in Ohio is looking for a track to run at there is one near Degraff. Here is a link that will give you some info on the track [link]http://www.rcxtreme.vanquish-hosting.com/forums/[/link].

This is my first RC Car and it will be intresting on how well I do at the track. I ran some practice jumps in the front yard yesterday and damn the first one nosed in then i used some knowledge that i learned from RCU and gave it throttle on the 2nd try and landed on my top and know i am landing on the wheels but it still needs some fine tuning.I also di a few endos while appling the brakes and that was pretty intresting. i also smashed a curb a aout 15 mph and all that happend=ed was i bent the camber rod. I am very happy with my decision on this LST. Thanks for all the advice that i have received.