Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Jumping Basics

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:07 PM
jjaus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumping Basics

G'Day I've just bought my first ever nitro truck (An Lst of course) and i love it!! I,ve put 6 tanks through it and its going like a bullet (even with the throttle dialled down abit). so i was wondering what the best way to keep it flat through jumps would be as i gave my wife a quick go and she managed to back flip it twice and land it on its lid (No more driving rights for her !!). do i try to keep the revs steady or do i give it a bit or just brake. Any advice would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers
Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 PM
PillowPants

Default RE: Jumping Basics

Well, the basics of jumping are pretty... well.. basic.

-While in the air, braking makes the nose go down, and giving it throttle makes the nose come up, like if you wanted to backflip.
-Be sure to try to always hit the jump head on.
-If you don't feel good about a certain jump, dont do it! it almost always ends up disasterous.
-Try to land as level as possible

Thats about it. Oh, and another thing, always jump with the "lid" on, (the body).
Old 08-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Devilmanak
My Feedback: (1)

Also, depending on the jump and especially with the LST, it likes to dig the rear skid into the dirt on takeoffs. This will make it nose-down BADLY. I did a mod on mine, where I cnc cut and turned-up the leading edge of the rear skid. It works VERY well, my truck doesn't dig in nearly as bad, adn handles bumps better too!!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:45 PM
jjaus

Thanks Fellas
Now i just have to pluck up the guts to have a go (Over here i paid about $1200 aus dollars and its a bit un-nerveing to see it prang up) but i'm sure that will ware off, thanks again
John
Old 08-13-2005, 07:47 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: jjaus

Thanks Fellas
Now i just have to pluck up the guts to have a go (Over here i paid about $1200 aus dollars and its a bit un-nerveing to see it prang up) but i'm sure that will ware off, thanks again
John
Dont be too nervous, afterall you have one of the toughest trucks on the market. good luck though!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:58 PM
jjaus

Hello again
One more little thing (not very important) I've noticed that on a couple of videos i downloaded, that the lst seems to easily pull wheelies,but mine wont is that because the motor is'nt probably making full power yet ? ( i did say earlier that i dialled out some throttle, but only about %10), iam a bit of a rev-head and want to show off with this awsome truck. I have a Venom temp guage on it and its running at about 210 - 220 degrees and the pinch test on the LSN seems about right.(may be i'm just to Eager)
Cheers john
Old 08-13-2005, 10:00 PM
PillowPants

Hello again
One more little thing (not very important) I've noticed that on a couple of videos i downloaded, that the lst seems to easily pull wheelies,but mine wont is that because the motor is'nt probably making full power yet ? ( i did say earlier that i dialled out some throttle, but only about %10), iam a bit of a rev-head and want to show off with this awsome truck. I have a Venom temp guage on it and its running at about 210 - 220 degrees and the pinch test on the LSN seems about right.(may be i'm just to Eager)
Cheers john
Well most of the vids posted of LST's on this web site aren't running stock engines. It also has something to do with the slipper i think... I'm not a big fan of wheelies with r/c cars though. scratches the crap out of the rear skidplate/bumper. I'd much rather be going 45mph on all 4 wheels.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Riv

I installed black springs (medium) in the front and white springs (soft) in the back. This keeps the truck front end up a bit. It is easier for me to hit brake and bring front down than gas to bring front end up. At the top or near the top let off the gas with this set up. If you stay on the gas to much into the jump it will flip the truck.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:31 AM
PeteOz

another thing you really need to consider is gearing and tyre size. I have two trucks (well just traded one actually, but I DID have two) and I fould I had a LOT less control of the one with the much lighter wheels and tyres. The racer has 23mmhexes and Proline wheels with bowties. This setup weighs roughly HALF what teh XTM Meats on Pento wheels weigh on the other truck. This results in a lot less control, as they don't have teh rotating mass to control the spin.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:32 AM
jjaus

Thanks again
I actually took it out this arvo to a park near home, i noticed it was bogging down slightly just of idle so i leaned it up a tiny bit and it made all the difference, in fact it was lifting wheels quite a bit especially the right front when travelly under power in a arc, looks impressive. All was going well until i lost drive to the rear wheels (I guess i should have taken notice of the included slip of paper that said make sure you check the grub screws on the output drives) anyway a quick tighten and we're back in business.
Cheers
John
Old 08-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Nitromitry

If you want to take a jump, GO for it!! If you hesitate you will screw up! I have black spring in the front and yellow on the back.
When I hit the ramp, I let go of the throttle and then if it needs correcting, Gas or brake. It took me about a month at a BMX track to perfect my jumps. You just have to get used to it. I broke A arms. shock shafts, body posts, Body shell, etc.
After a year now, I can take any jump without destroying the truck.
I mainly race now at a track with pretty big jumps, but had to get used to the track as I broke some things like wheel axles etc.
Just keep on trying, you can't buy experience!!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:00 AM
jjaus

Yeah Next time out i'll go for it, whats the point of having a monster if i'm just gonna ***** foot around, as they say "NO GUTS NO GLORY"
Old 08-14-2005, 07:53 AM
dw4653

I don't know if you have a roll bar, but if you are going to jump, I would suggest getting one. The new era bar is probably the best.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:03 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello again
Cheers john
As the engines wears in, it'll start producing more power. After about 1 gallon of fuel, your engine will be producing it's peak amount of power.

Tuning also makes all the difference. 1/8 turn on the needle can make-or-break your wheelie-ability. My engine runs comfortably in the 250 degree range, and I have my slipper set at 1/2 turn out. I can pull a full wheelie from a stand still, anytime I want. Most wheelies happen in grass where there is much more traction. I get the occasional pavement wheelie, but usually the tires just spin.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:22 PM
jjaus

My engines running at about a peak temp of 220 and was practically lifting the wheels off of the deck but then all of a sudden it just sat there , after getting it home and inspesting it, i found 1 broken clutch pawl, so its off to the shop later to place a order (Also if any one lives in or near brisbane (Australia) and knows any shop that keeps some LST parts on hand please could you let me know (Hate waiting for deliveries from down south)
Cheers John