Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST vs. Revo

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:44 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST vs. Revo

Which is a better car for a beginner LST or Revo?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:37 PM
brushless

Default RE: LST vs. Revo

Will this be your first RC vehicle?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 AM
LoSiSuPeRtRuCk
My Feedback: (-1)

revo
Old 08-14-2005, 03:46 AM
RenegadeRevo

Revo... get used to the MT world, then get an LST... The LST is a great truck, but for a beginner, the Revo is the way to go...
Old 08-14-2005, 09:09 AM
LOOKIN

I agree with all.. I bought the LST and should have bought the REVO. It seems to break less.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 AM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

If you would stay off that wall your truck wouldn't break! LOL
Old 08-14-2005, 10:09 AM
rorhound

Everytime I get into a new sport (hobby, whatever) It seems like I go the cheaper route first and then I kick myself later, usually not much later, for not getting the best to start with. After wasting big bucks on paintball markers and gear only to replace it with what I should have purchased in the first place, I finally learned. This is my first nitro car/truck and I'm very happy I went with the LST.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:44 PM
LOOKIN

Ben Didn't you hear that wall calling my name. LOL.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:37 PM
BLUERACER

This is my first nitro truck also, and I'm happy I went with the LST[sm=thumbup.gif]
ORIGINAL: rorhound

Everytime I get into a new sport (hobby, whatever) It seems like I go the cheaper route first and then I kick myself later, usually not much later, for not getting the best to start with. After wasting big bucks on paintball markers and gear only to replace it with what I should have purchased in the first place, I finally learned. This is my first nitro car/truck and I'm very happy I went with the LST.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:33 PM
geide

I bought my LST as a first Monster truck. Was there a learning curve? Sure! I would recommend the LST for the beginner, if you want a BIG Monster truck. I like big. I am not sorry that bought an LST. I have broken a few things, but if you hit walls and cartwheel jumps, you are bound to break something. So be bold, if you like the LST buy it.

At the track this weekend there were four Revo's. Out of the four that started the qualifiers, only two were still running at the ends of the main. A Revo did take the honors, but that was driven by a very very good driver. I was the only LST there, too bad I can't drive a bit better, I am sure the LST could and would give the Revo a good run.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:45 AM
plecofish

well for a beginner: HPI Savage
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 AM
LOOKIN

Just out of curiosity do you know what the revo's broke? I am thinking of getting one for my next rc.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:07 AM
benifur

There are growing pains with the LST it was my frist MT and I would do it again. The revo & savage are tough but the LST is THE truck. Once you upgrade the suppention. Nothing else compares.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
BAMF90

Hey Benifur what exact upgrade do I need for the suspension and how much will it cost? I'm hoping to get a car by late this year or next year. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:59 AM
2DMaxLST!!

He must mean RPM A-arms not the actual shocks, the shocks are the best in the business.

In this video I am running stock springs with 35wt fluid and RPM A-arms.
[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/LST/Can't%20Stop_3.wmv]Video: Here's what I am seeing on the track...[/link]
Old 08-15-2005, 10:35 AM
gottabfordtough

the revo is a great truck for a beginner or experienced racer. the difference is if you have a revo and in two months your buddy gets and lst. you'll be dissapointed. now if you have a lst and your buddy gets a revo you thank yourself for stepping up to the lst right off the bat. the radio alone is worth the price difference. if you dont need or want a radio that good. buy the lst sell the radio, and purchase a cheaper model radio. you'll cut well over $100 off the price of the truck.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 PM
benifur

Yep I was talking about the RPMs a-arms and lunsford turn buckles for the a-arms & for the tie rods It's around $100 upgrade.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:09 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ilikenitrorccars

The Revo is marketed more for a beginner because of the EZ start and Opti-drive transmission, while the LST is marketed more for experienced nitro enthusiasts.

Both have their good and bad points. Althought the Revo has the EZ start, which is supposed to make starting easier for the beginner, it can also be a headache. It draws power from the glow ignitor, which can make starting difficult, and it also doesn't teach you much. The TRX 2.5 engine is a powerful small block engine, but it's one of the least friendliest RTR engines you can own. It's a real PITA to tune, especially for a beginner. It's also marketed very decievingly to the beginner, since the TRX 2.5 is actually a .15 sized engine (2.5 c.c. = .15 c.i.). The Opti-drive is just a safety from shifting into reverse while the truck is moving forward..........It's rather pointless.

Although the Revo is a pretty tough truck from the box, and rather fast, eventually you'll feel the need for more power and reliability. You'll want a larger engine, which is pretty easy to do since many are designed specifically for Tmaxx/Revo. Here's where your problems will really start. The Revo has a mostly plastic drivetrain which is purposely designed to only handle the stress of the TRX 2.5 engine. Dropping in a larger engine will systematically destroy your drivetrain. You'll constantly be chasing the weakest link of the drivetrain, untill you've spent hundreds of dollars to completely rebuild it (plus add in the price of the larger engine (and the price of the truck) and you've already spent a small fortune). After this point, you're nitro experience will start calling to you for more control in the form of better radio gear. Again, you'll be spending a couple hundred more just to have a radio that's on par with what the LST comes with stock. By now, you're into the Revo for over a grand, just to have a big block truck with a metal drivetrain and good radio gear.

The LST however will set you back $600 from the start. It has some weak points that NEED to be addressed right out of the box. You'll have to spend an additional $150 or so for stronger a-arms, aluminum diff cases, secondary gear cover, and a possible clutch. At this point, you'll have spent around $700-$800 for a truck that is still as good or better than your $1000+ tricked out Revo, and it will have taken far less work to make it that way.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 PM
PillowPants

I was going to get an LST, but i thought it was rather ridiculos how you pay soo much for the truck, then have to buy $50 worth of parts that should have been included, like the alloy diff cases, secondary gear cover, better a-arms. 2 of my friends have LST's and they really enjoy them. I decided to go the buggy route though. If you can afford it, then go for the LST.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:03 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LST is one of (if not THE) most expensive nitro MTs you can buy. That's why it's marketed more for experienced nitro enthusiasts. It has features that are more easily appreciated by experienced R/C'ers that justify the price tag.

I'll list some examples that may often be overlooked:

1. The radio gear (I know, everyone says "the radio gear" ). Having such precision control and adjustability aren't necessity, but it's highly appreciated once accustomed to it.

2. Aluminum giant bore 4 shock system. 4 shocks are less maintainance than 8 (which is customary in most MTs), and they are ultra smooth and plush and easy to access....Plus they're aluminum.

3. Full metal drivetrain (besides spur gears). It will readily handle any sized engine you can put in it.

4. Spin starter. It saves the weight of having on-board starting equipment, and it saves the work of a pull start.

5. Easily accesable sealed diffs. You can pull them out in a matter of minutes and fill them with you favorite oil.

6. Ease of maintainance. Accessing any part of the truck is rather simple and quick when compared to other MTs.

7. Hex head bolts. No more stripped Phillip's head screws (but you'll need some decent drivers).

8. It's big. Plain and simple. It'll tackle terrain that would leave 1/10 scale trucks and 1/8 scale buggys stranded.

9. Nimble handling. Although it's bigger than most, it's handles like it's much smaller than it is.

10. Slipper clutch design. It's got the best designed slipper clutch.... Ever. It works great and is easily tuned.

Alot of these features may not appeal to beginers, just because they aren't familiar with them. But if you have some experience, it's a great overall package, and a great value.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
gottabfordtough

people say the lst needs imediate upgrades. i'm more of the "if it aint broke dont fix it kinda guy" i've had my truck for 4 months and have raced it about 5 whole days of racing. over 20 races not to mention practices. i have never broke a part at the track. i always finish in the top 4, have won a couple of times. i have broked two a arms at home. 1- hitting a tree at about 30 mph. and 2- hitting a pile of bricks at about 30 mph. still run factory springs and shock oil. i havn't changed a thing. still factory tires, plastic diff covers, stock dog bones and all. i bash the @#$% out of mine and it takes it all with ease. the only upgrade i have is the aluminum gear cover for 15 bucks. the lst is a tough truck i garentee if people are breaking a arms as easy as they say they are, they are doing something wrong. snaging the wall on the straight, or hitting a tube coming down for a jump. mine has fliped, rolled, landed every way you can imagine and still begs for more. just my thought. upgrades are nice but not a must. [&:]
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: jefx

ORIGINAL: ilikenitrorccars

The Revo is marketed more for a beginner because of the EZ start and Opti-drive transmission, while the LST is marketed more for experienced nitro enthusiasts.

Both have their good and bad points. Althought the Revo has the EZ start, which is supposed to make starting easier for the beginner, it can also be a headache. It draws power from the glow ignitor, which can make starting difficult, and it also doesn't teach you much. The TRX 2.5 engine is a powerful small block engine, but it's one of the least friendliest RTR engines you can own. It's a real PITA to tune, especially for a beginner. It's also marketed very decievingly to the beginner, since the TRX 2.5 is actually a .15 sized engine (2.5 c.c. = .15 c.i.). The Opti-drive is just a safety from shifting into reverse while the truck is moving forward..........It's rather pointless.

Although the Revo is a pretty tough truck from the box, and rather fast, eventually you'll feel the need for more power and reliability. You'll want a larger engine, which is pretty easy to do since many are designed specifically for Tmaxx/Revo. Here's where your problems will really start. The Revo has a mostly plastic drivetrain which is purposely designed to only handle the stress of the TRX 2.5 engine. Dropping in a larger engine will systematically destroy your drivetrain. You'll constantly be chasing the weakest link of the drivetrain, untill you've spent hundreds of dollars to completely rebuild it (plus add in the price of the larger engine (and the price of the truck) and you've already spent a small fortune). After this point, you're nitro experience will start calling to you for more control in the form of better radio gear. Again, you'll be spending a couple hundred more just to have a radio that's on par with what the LST comes with stock. By now, you're into the Revo for over a grand, just to have a big block truck with a metal drivetrain and good radio gear.

The LST however will set you back $600 from the start. It has some weak points that NEED to be addressed right out of the box. You'll have to spend an additional $150 or so for stronger a-arms, aluminum diff cases, secondary gear cover, and a possible clutch. At this point, you'll have spent around $700-$800 for a truck that is still as good or better than your $1000+ tricked out Revo, and it will have taken far less work to make it that way.
I know this forum is for LST enthusiasts, but I would like to clear up some misconceptions of the Revo. (since I do own one) For a beginner, the Revo is awesome. It has everything to get a newbie into the hobby. The EZ-start gives some people problems, but I have had 0 "ZERO" problems with it. I will admit the 2.5r can be a bit of a PITA to tune. It's a great engine, and being a pain to tune actually helps one tune an engine (as long as they don't get frustrated). As for aftermarket engines, you are correct that after using the 2.5r for a while, an upgrade is possible, and definitely fun. The 2.5r has enough power to get the Revo going fast, but if more power is available, some people will jump on that, as I did. With an upgraded engine (RB Concepts TM323) The only drivetrain problem I've had is spur gears (and those were due to my own stupidity). I have changed to a forward-only setup. I do agree that the reverse gear is a weak point in the Revo's transmission and the OPTI-drive is useless (my reverse gear still stripped with the opti-drive in it). My "plastic' transmission has held up just great. Many others with .21 and larger engines have the same experience. The transmission of the Revo is a completely different thing than the T-maxx. It is built to handle the power of a larger engine. I've only seen one transmission problem after adding a larger engine. I have run 3 gallons through my Revo, 1 of those 3 were with my TM323. I still have stock internals (minus reverse).
Old 08-15-2005, 10:40 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: jefx

The LST is one of (if not THE) most expensive nitro MTs you can buy. That's why it's marketed more for experienced nitro enthusiasts. It has features that are more easily appreciated by experienced R/C'ers that justify the price tag.

I'll list some examples that may often be overlooked:

1. The radio gear (I know, everyone says "the radio gear" ). Having such precision control and adjustability aren't necessity, but it's highly appreciated once accustomed to it.

2. Aluminum giant bore 4 shock system. 4 shocks are less maintainance than 8 (which is customary in most MTs), and they are ultra smooth and plush and easy to access....Plus they're aluminum.

3. Full metal drivetrain (besides spur gears). It will readily handle any sized engine you can put in it.

4. Spin starter. It saves the weight of having on-board starting equipment, and it saves the work of a pull start.

5. Easily accesable sealed diffs. You can pull them out in a matter of minutes and fill them with you favorite oil.

6. Ease of maintainance. Accessing any part of the truck is rather simple and quick when compared to other MTs.

7. Hex head bolts. No more stripped Phillip's head screws (but you'll need some decent drivers).

8. It's big. Plain and simple. It'll tackle terrain that would leave 1/10 scale trucks and 1/8 scale buggys stranded.

9. Nimble handling. Although it's bigger than most, it's handles like it's much smaller than it is.

10. Slipper clutch design. It's got the best designed slipper clutch.... Ever. It works great and is easily tuned.

Alot of these features may not appeal to beginers, just because they aren't familiar with them. But if you have some experience, it's a great overall package, and a great value.
I agree. The LST is a great value, but i also think that there are other great trucks out there for a fraction of the price, like the revo and the savage25 for instance. I personally would rather get a savage 4.6 and put $350 into it. Like most things in RC, it all comes down to just personal preference.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:51 PM
RCtruckRacer

i also think that there are other great trucks out there for a fraction of the price
999/1000's is a fraction! Just bustin your b's. Both trucks are awesome. But the Revo takes a bit more cash to make it a pure racer. The perfect example of that are the Race LST and Race Revo in June and August's editions of RC Car action respectively.

Despite the awful 2.5r (I heard an audio interview of a pro at RCX in Anaheim a few months ago - I think it was Bobby Moore - who said most people won't get more than 3 or 4 gallons before it dies), I would also have to reccomend the Revo for the beginner. I used to have one, but traded it for my buggy. Glad I did too!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 PM
benifur

For about $800.00 USD ( after upgrades) the LST is the Best one out there. A $800.00 Revo or Savage, or moster GT. Still are not as fast or nimble as the LST. and the LST has the HI/LO tranny. Trow a grand at it and well what can I say CF chassi would be nice Beside don't you think It just looks awsome. You can make it a racer cheep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.