Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Need help on running the LST...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Rocmit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on running the LST...

HI all,

I am new here and I have been reading this fourm for about a month now. I am new to this hobbie and I decided to go with LST Sorry for the long story...

After getting all the necessary stuff to get my LST started, I finally feel comfortable starting my engine. I have the truck for about 3 weeks but haven't try to start it until today. Here is the story...

I read about heat cycle, idle first 3 tanks, etc... I am trying to see if I can do any of it.

First attemp (First tank of gas)...

I left everything factory defualt... Engine started up and it sounds okay (but I never heard a nitro engine run before )... Removed the glow plug and try to give it a little gas. The engine stopped a few times. The first couple times the engine stopped shortly after I removed the glow plug. After a few attempts, the engine stayed idle with a lot of liquid/gas coming out of the pipe and some smoke. This seems pretty normal to a newbie like me

Here comes the problem... If I try to give it a little bit of throttle, the engine would just stop. I tried to press the trigger as little as possible to get a feel on how much throttle kills the engine... I notice that a tiny little throttle is fine (the truck did not move at all) and I hear the engine speeds up tiny bit. And anything above that kills the engine... Any one knows why? Not sure if I am doing this correctly but I tried to lean the low speed dial a little bit but the result is the same.

Finally I give up on trying to drive the LST and just idle through the first tank. I measure the temperature and it stay at about 110F.

While letting the engine cool, I am back to the forum to search on the throttle related issue. I didn't find anything useful though. After researching this forum, I decided to check my HSN and LSN to see if it is what the factory says. What I found was that I am at about 3 1/2 turns for HSN and 2 1/2 turns for LSN.

I decided that I should go with 2 1/2 turns for HSN and 2 turns for LSN on my next attempt. I made the change and started the engine...

Second attempt (second tank of gas)...

With the new setting, the engine started and I notice the sound is noticeably different from my first attempt and the smoke is now gone. The sound has higher pitch and the engine doesn't sound as stable. My guess is that the trunk is not too lean. I measure the temperature and wow it got up to 220-230 pretty quick and still going up. For some odd reason, the truck is now appears to be trying to move forward a few times. I panic and I tried to stopped the engine (about 2 to 3 min total time). I checked the HSN and LSN, and they are in fact 2 1/2 and 2 turns.

I let the engine cool to normal temperature and do some research on this forum at the same time... but I didn't find anything helpful.

I decided to try 3 turns for HSN and 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns for LSN on my next start. The engine seems to be back to a similar sound (temp at 120F) as when the engine idled on the first attempt. But, now the engine doesn't stay idle after I remove the glow plug. After a few attempts, I decided I should come here and seek "professional" help

It would be helpful if someone can give their thoughts and comment about what I just went through and also...

1) Why applying gas (a little more than tiny little bit) would stop the engine?
2) Is it normal for the exhaust to be spitting our gas?
2) Is my settings correct?
3) Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Roc
Old 10-16-2005, 06:36 PM
Rocmit

Default RE: Need help on running the LST...

Update:

I was guessing that my LSN mine be too rich so I lean it a bit to 1 3/4 turns. I was able to put some throttle and the truck won't stop on throttle. But, I need to be very gental on the throttle otherwise the engine would stop. Any recommandation on what I should tweak?

After I am able to put some throttle, the truck is MOVING

It seems to me that I need to put about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to get the truck moving. I guess this is like a regular car with manual transmittion. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Atomic LST

It is very rich. You want to have some fuel and oil spitting out during breakin. The temp is to low, needs to be over 200F atleast that is the theroy. If the engine will not heat up, try wrapping aluminum foil around the head or just lean out your needs a little till the temp gets round 210 to 220.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:11 AM
hound in oz

leave your LSN alone for the moment put it back to factory settings. You want the motor to be around 200 f for break in. I would suggest putting your truck up on blocks with the wheels free spinning, make sure you dont rev it too hard at this stage. You are moving your HSN way too much, it is quite sensitive even an 1/8 turn will make a huge difference.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:49 AM
SublimeJason
Banned

This is a Better way to do Break-in
http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php
Old 10-17-2005, 08:11 PM
leejax02
My Feedback: (1)

Not trying to be funny, but take it to the local hobby shop if there is one near you and ask for someone to show you how to break in the engine.

With that being said, your HSN is the Primary needle to adjust. Put your LSN back to factory and the reason your engine is cutting off is because as previously stated it is flooding out. Turn the truck upside down with the glow plug and spin over with the Rotostart for about 5-7 seconds and replace the gow plug then start. It will fire up and then with the glow plug igniter still on, apply some throttle until the engine "clears out" where it pushes out the excessive fuel and runs with more power. remove the igniter, but leave the glow plug in at all time when running, you said that you take it out, I assume that you meant the igniter but not sure. Drive the truck around a bit above idle in circles then figure eights. I would try 3 1/4 out on the HSN to start out and then go 1/8th to 1/4 turn in on the HSN from there on each progressive tank.

I highly recommend that you go to the hobby shop until you feel some type of confidence with the break in. Lots to say, with little time to type. Any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:22 PM
bentgear

Roc/Peter, there is no magic number of turns that will make the engine run correctly that you can get out of a manual or from this forum. Every engine is different, not to mention fuel differences, weather, etc.

It is normal for the engine to spit oil out the exhaust....when you first start a new engine set with too rich needle settings it spits a bunch. A couple of things to remember, the low speed needle controls idle up close to 1/4 throttle and the high speed needle controls the rest. Based on that what you are seeing the low speed needle is set a little rich and that is why the engine is dying when you remove the glo starter. Turn it in 1/8 of a turn at a time until the engine stays running. From that point you may have to go in another 1/16 to 1/8 so that when you slowly pull the trigger the engine remains running. It may sputter and spit, but it should keep running. You may have to replace the glo plug a couple of times during breakin. Also from your description it sounds like the idle speed screw is set about right so leave it alone.

Other than that, the link SublimeJason posted should get you going.

Ed M.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:27 AM
Rocmit

Thanks all for reading my post and giving me tips/help!

>
> leave the glow plug in at all time when running, you said that you take it out, I assume that you meant the igniter but not sure.
>

Ya, I do mean the igniter I still trying to get all the terms correct

I am thinking of finding a local track to see what it is like and how people run their trucks. I never actually seen or hear a gas car run in person so everything I am doing is from the rearch that I done. BTW, I am from San Francisco bay area.

The link from SublimeJason is great but I am about half way into my break in

Again, thanks for all the help!

Peter