Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Newbie tempted to crack her open.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Ronin Smurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie tempted to crack her open.

hail oh knowledgable ones!

During a recent bash session I lost the air cleaner off my mach... possibly while trying to out do my mates Savage, but I digress.

I have no idea at what stage of the session it came off and am worried about what could now be inside the egine.

I've only been into the hobby a few months and want to open up the mach myself and have a look... do you guys think its a good idea?

You gotta learn some time right?

Anyways I was wondering if there are any great tips for a newbie cracking open the mach on an LST (other than checking for the washer) so I can get it back in action ASAP??

Any response would be greatly appreciated!! [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 AM
hound in oz

Default RE: Newbie tempted to crack her open.

DO it smurf, just make sure you have good quality hex drivers or can strip the nuts. The LST was my first nitro and I had no probs.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

If you're going to stay in this hobby, you're going to have to get into an engine eventually. So, no time like the present.

If you even have the slightest mechanical skills, you can do it. I don't imagine, you'll have to remove the piston and sleeve. But again, its pretty straight forward. T here are many references on the web on how to do this....
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

I realize that my link is for HPI, but the basics are the same and here is how to break down the engine completely: http://www.hpiracing.com/walkthroughs/engrebuild.htm

Be very careful when removing the sleeve - you do not want to damage or warp it. At the bottom of page 2 on the HPI instructions, they say to use pliers to loosen the sleeve - I disagree on this point. I slide the piston all the way down and insert either a wood dowel or a large zip tie, then rotate the flywheel to loosen the sleeve. IMO, this is the safest way with the least chance of damage.

Also, after you clean & lightly oil everything and reassemble, be sure to seal it up: http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233

The best advice I can give you is to TAKE YOUR TIME.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:34 AM
DaveG55

To completely check the engine you will have to remove the p/s as you cannot really check the condition and fit with it in the engine.
These little motors are so easy you will wonder why you were even concerned.
My only advice is that as you dissemble it make careful notes about how it comes apart. In some motors the piston skirt is cut out and won't work (as well) if it's put back backwards.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:15 PM
fourwheeler

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

To completely check the engine you will have to remove the p/s as you cannot really check the condition and fit with it in the engine.
These little motors are so easy you will wonder why you were even concerned.
My only advice is that as you dissemble it make careful notes about how it comes apart. In some motors the piston skirt is cut out and won't work (as well) if it's put back backwards.

I agree completely. Take very good notes, take pics if you can, but most of all keep everyting in an order so you can put it back that way. As in keep the screws for the pull start with the pull start, keep the screws for the head with the head, and so on. After you have done it once it is really easy and is not that big of a deal anyway. Just take your time and before you no it you will be a;

Nitro Mechanic
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Ronin Smurf

ok you've convinced me... this IS within my capabilties.

Thanks for the links NitroNutt - very helpful!!

Now I just need to put a day aside to do it...

Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

You bet. I'm always glad to help. Give yourself an hour or two maybe, but you definately don't need a whole day! Lol.