Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

OWB in 2 Speed failure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Ken448

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OWB in 2 Speed failure?

Hmmmmmm My truck decided to stop moving. It just sits and revs and snaps into "drive" every now and then. Since I have a FOC, and have locked the clutch those are eliminated as possibilities. Next up is the OWB. My question is.. Has anyone had this problem? This is pretty much a new truck and is fairly annoying to think I have to replace a $20 bearing when I didnt even get the joy of slamming into something to break it! It just failed... In the meantime, I am cleaning the bearing to see if there is hope for it. Anyone have any good recommendations for cleaning a OWB? I usually strip them of grease and soak it in synthetic oil for a bit (on my starter's OWB). But since this is so close to the clutch and 2 speed clutch, Im not sure how to go about cleaning it.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: OWB in 2 Speed failure?

Your cleaning method should be OK, but if your truck is new you should send the 2spd one way back for replacement. If it failed on a new truck, it must be faulty.

However, I am confused about this part:
and have locked the clutch
. What exactly do you mean by that?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:53 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Ohh, I think he means he lock the slipper clutch. Tightened it down all the way
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Ken448

yup.. locked the slipper to eliminate that as a cause. I cleaned the bearing and it seems to be working good for now. I dont want to send it in to Losi. A waste of time IMO even if I do get parts for free, Im still left without the truck to use for whatever ammount of time they decide to keep it (the parts)
Old 01-09-2006, 09:15 PM
2DMaxLST!!

My first one lasted forever, you should call Horizon, I would be amazed if they don't send you a new one for your pitbox.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Ken448

well be prepared to be amazed. They said Id have to send in the bad one first... I told em thanks but no thanks Im not going without my truck for who knows how long..
Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
2DMaxLST!!

You are right I'm amazed!! I've actually never called them. That is bad that it is giving you problems though. Mine lasted from November 04 till a race in Houston in like June.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Ken448

lol.. mine went all the way from Dec 05 to Jan 06.. no gallon per day bashing, just Id say 4 or 5 track days....
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
2DMaxLST!!

The day mine went bad was one to remember. I drove on Friday night to a track I had never been to that was closed for practice when I got there Friday night. I found a hotel in a 'saucy' part of town and carried everything that I thought was of value from the truck to my room including my pit tent!! I get to the track at 10am the next morning to realize the race does not start till 2pm. I was practicing when it started happening. It would give out and I would come to a stop and then it would take off again. I changed out all kinds of stuff before figuring it out. I had the damn flywheel off my engine at one point blaiming it on my collet!!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Ken448

I could have sworn my slipper was too loose in the qualifiers, as I heard it winding up on acceleration. I was gonna tighten it, but several marshalls told me I was spinning all 4's in the corners. So I left it. As I fired it up for the main, I noticed when I gassed it, it was hesitating to grab, but was still pretty intermittant. I wasnt going to tear into a truck and miss a main for an intermittant problem Ill prolly never find. So I ran the main, got 8.5 mins again and it crapped out for good. So I packed up and came home and prepared to go searching. Easy find, only because I know I read about it over at www.LSTCentral.com (PLUG!) so that was my first thought after I locked the slipper with no positive results.