Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

First race this weekend, need some pointers

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

First race this weekend, need some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Rednels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First race this weekend, need some pointers

Hello all,
I am going to my first RC race this weekend with my new LST2 and I was wondering if you guys could kinda give me a heads up on what all stuff I need to take with me(aside from Gas and normal stuff)

Also, Im sure I need to get some tools, where is the best place online to get RC tools, and what is the best gas I should be running.

Thanks in advance everyone,
Eddie
Old 01-20-2006, 11:26 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Default RE: First race this weekend, need some pointers

Have you made a hole for in the center of your hood for the transponder??

You can see it here in this photo of my LST.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Rednels

What is a transponder?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:32 PM
2DMaxLST!!

At most tracks there is electronic tracking of your lap times. If you don't have a personal transponder right before your race starts they issue you a transponder that clips on with a body clip. When you pass over a timing loop buried in the track you hear a beep as it counts your lap. You can see it clipped on the hood of my truck in that picture.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 PM
The King

I also made this hole on my LST-2 except instead of a Transponder I run a 1.21 Gigawatt Flux Capacitor. It takes MINUTES off my lap times!!!

The King
Old 01-20-2006, 11:50 PM
RCtruckRacer

I remember my first race. What a day!!! you are going to have more fun than you can imagine!

Anyway... Yes, get good tools! I like the Losi ones, but any set of hex drivers will be better than nothing. I got mine from Horizon. First thing: TRY and relax. My first time on the drivers stand, I darn near passed out. My buddy was a turn marshall, and he said my knees were knocking so bad he figured the other drivers could hear it!!! It sounds stupid, but it was almost too much for me to handle I was so nervous. My first guitar recital in college was far less nerve wracking!

Make sure ALL your batteries are charged: Spin start, receiver, transmitter, glow plug ignitor - everything. Its easy to start forgetting things when you are nervous. Take some food! You will need it! Do you have a pit man yet? Get a cleaning caddy to use as a pit box - something to hold your fuel bottle, spin start - all the things that your pit man will need. I got one from Target for a $1. Works perfect and its much easier than trying to carry everything by hand. Oh god how I am envying you right now!!!! I have to wait till March for my next race!

A chair and maybe a table? I don't know what its like where you are racing, but if one of those items is not at the track, you will need them. An extension cord is also a must have.

Remember to check every screw you can inbetween heats. Also, its good to check the clutch. Bring extra shoes and springs if you can. And at least one extra glow plug. Damn it, I need to go take a shot. You got me all worked up!! I am sure I have forgotten many things - others will chime in to let you know what I missed!

One final piece of advice - go slow to go fast. Crash free laps will get you better times.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 PM
A.B.U

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

Have you made a hole for in the center of your hood for the transponder??

You can see it here in this photo of my LST.
2D what tires/wheels are those? They seem to match the LST2 body perfectly...

Crime Fighters, on 40 series Dish, perhaps?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Rednels

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.
This may sound like a stupid question, but i want to make sure my stock LST2 can run in the MT class, correct?
Also, I dont have a pit man, what do they do?

as far as the races go, it is just one race, or do they have several for each class?

I know these are newb questions, but I have never even been to the track before.

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 01-20-2006, 11:56 PM
A.B.U

es, the LST2 can run in the MT class..

You'll need a pit man to Fill your tank up during the race, or change something out if it were to fail/break during a race too.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:08 AM
2DMaxLST!!

These are Panther Pythons on LOSI 420 series.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:11 AM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: The King

I also made this hole on my LST-2 except instead of a Transponder I run a 1.21 Gigawatt Flux Capacitor. It takes MINUTES off my lap times!!!

The King
You are showing off, we don't all have a massive corporate sponsor like yourself!!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
RCtruckRacer

Its likely that you will have 2 to 3 qualifying heats and one main. The quals will probably be 5 mins and the main between 15 and 30. Your pit man will set the car down on the track/starting gate for you, as well as re-start the truck after a flame out etc, not to mention re-fuel you on a pit stop. Don't worry about not having one, someone at the track will do it. Being as how its your first race, everyone will no doubt be very helpful!!! I am assuming this is a club race. They may have a novice class. If so, sign up for that one. If you kick everyones butt by laps and laps, no one will think bad of you, its your first race!! On the other hand, you don't want to get discouraged if you have to run with the big dogs and even the second to last person laps you. It is your first race after all!

Soak it all in, ask lots of questions, and most important of all, Have Fun!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Rednels

Wow, you have to re-fuel during the race? How long does a race last?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:23 AM
bentgear

Try to get to the track early and get some practice laps in before the first heat race. But before you even get the truck and radio out make sure you find out what the track protocol is for assigning transmitter frequencies. Nothing much worse than turning your radio on only to find out you have caused somebodies vehicle to vear off the track into a pole breaking it or hitting someone causing bodily damage.

Find out the direction the vehicles run on the track. (Yes, I have seen people practice going the wrong way because they did not ask)

When you first get on the track make a few laps ssssslllllooooowwww. Don't try and jump the jumps, what you want to do is get the flow of the track in your head. Slowly speed up your practice laps. Find the parts of the track that you do good on and the parts that give you problems. Get as many laps in as you can and don't do something stupid that breaks the truck.

The heats are for qualifying, don't treat them as a race. The object is to make as many laps as you can in the alloted time. Drive only as fast as you are comfortable with. Remember, every time a turn marshall has to get your truck back on the track you have lost a lot of time.

When the main comes i would suggest that you still not try to get into the heat of the battle. Again just drive as fast as you can without being turn marshalled. Remember those parts of the tracks you liked earlier, put them to use by going as fast as you can. Those parts that gave you fits, slow down, make sure you don't wreck.

If like most people, when you first get on the drivers stand, nerves take over. Deliberately going slow helps to overcome them. If you feel you are getting rattled, slow down, calm down then see what you can do. Try to get into a consistent rhythm.

Above all, enjoy yourself. Racing on a track is a lot different than drag racing your buddy across the parking lot, and a lot more fun too, after you get the hang of it. Go have some fun.

Ed M.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:31 AM
RCtruckRacer

I just had to say something... that was AWESOME advice bentgear!

Racing on a track is a lot different than drag racing your buddy across the parking lot, and a lot more fun too, after you get the hang of it. Go have some fun.
For me, I couldn't even begin to describe the feeling of being in the pits with 50-200 of your friends. Getting up on the drivers stand, racing 9 other people, and with an audience too! I definately have the bug, and much stronger than even the average racer. [8D] I wont even be able to sleep much tonight because of this thread...
Old 01-21-2006, 01:40 AM
bentgear

I just wish Rednels was a little closer to Jackson so maybe his first race could be here. Its fun to relive that first race thru helping someone else. BTW, all the jitters never go away, they still flair up from time to time. Keeps the excitement level up. I think if I ever attend a major race and don't feel a little jittery, its gonna be time to hang the transmitter up.

Ed M.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:36 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you guys have me inspired!............. Seriously!

I love threads from experienced people, and this one has me cooked. I'm planning on visiting my first track next Wednesday in Joilet (rhymes with toilet), IL. Thanks for all the info, and sorry for hi-jacking the thread.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:43 AM
RCtruckRacer

Joilet: Home of Jake and Ellwood?
Old 01-21-2006, 02:58 AM
RCtruckRacer

I'm planning on visiting my first track next Wednesday in Joilet
That just sunk in... WHAAAAAAAT??? When it comes to technical issues with the LST, you have some of the best advice/suggestions of anyone on this forum. And you have never raced? That is mind boggling! I have posted this before, but the more people that read it the better. Courtesy of J.P. Turner:
For those of you who have been racing your RC cars for years, and have a friend or two who you have been trying to get out to the RC tracks, this article is for you. Feel free to forward it to them.

For those of you who are fanatical bashers, and have avoided racing your rc cars at the local track, hear me out, because I have 5 great reasons you should take a run at it.

1) Hanging out with other RC car enthusiasts- You will absorb new ideas on how to keep your RC cars running at peak performance, just by hangin' out in the pits. Not all of them will be good, some could even do more harm than good. but if you are careful who you listen to, you can learn some terrific stuff that will make your ride handle better, run faster, and be more durable.

2) The game within the game- Its not just about racing, and being first in the heats (altho, that is a huge thrill) but its also about pushing the limits of your RC cars, and fighting agianst the track itself in a measureable way. When your bashing, you don't really get a precise way of knowing how fast your vehicle is. When you race, you will actually know to the millisecond what your vehicle, limited by your driving skills, can do.

3) By being at the tracks, you get to see the latest RC technology in action- You can go to the hobby stores and look at boxes of RC cars and buggies all you want. But if you really want to see what a Hot Bodies Lightning Pro or an XRAY T1'FK05 can do, there is no better, and cheaper, way to do it than hang out at the tracks. You get an even better idea when you race against them.

4) Making new friends- Not that you need new friends, but it's great to have a friend who knows RC cars tips and tricks. Someone you can ask questions, or bounce ideas off of. Or catch rides to the track when your full scale car is in the shop.

5) Just like when your bashing and you finally nail that jump you set up in your backyard, mastering a track is a total rush- Everyone will tell you when you first start racing rc cars, just try to do crash free laps. Isn't that essentially what you are doing in your backyard?

Why not take your Monster truck to the track, and do some racing, and see if you can handle the track's jumps and rhythm sections? I bet it will be months before you have a crash free lap. Howse that for a challenge?

If you have put off racing rc cars because it looks intimidating, your worried you will make a fool of yourself, or smash up your car or buggy, or piss off someone by smashing THIER car up... well, your right!! All of that can happen!

In fact, when I first started racing my RC cars, I made every racing mistake there is. I embarassed myself, I smashed my poor little car up, I was totally confused. Frankly, I didn't have much fun.

But, I fought through it, learned from my mistakes, got some great advice, and now I enjoy every weekend at the track. I strongly suggest you give racing a chance. I think it's the best way to enjoy your RC cars hobby.
This quote isn't really a reply to you jefx, just for those who might read this and hopefully consider racing.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:00 AM
jefx

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX

Joilet: Home of Jake and Ellwood?
I don't know the quote..................Which makes me feel like an ass. Anyway, I'm no newb as most of you know, I've just never raced at an actual track. Most of my experience comes from r/c bashing and use of larger 2-stroke engines (sleds and quads).
Old 01-21-2006, 03:02 AM
RCtruckRacer

Jake and Ellwood Blues! The Blues Brothers!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:15 AM
jefx

I find myself a student of the 2-stroke engine. It's the simplest of all internal-combustion engines and has been a passion of mine for a number of years. I own and operate a host of 2-stroke engines as well as being a heavy-equipment-operator. I operate Caterpillar Dozers and Earthmovers as stated in the past, with an emphasis on Motor-Graders.

Anyways, no I have never raced. I plan to shortly. I'm very excited to show what I know in the field of combat!

I hope that my inexperience to race-track situations doesn't disvalue my experience for nitro engines and 2-strokes in general, as I have a vast understanding of 2-strokes that could be rivaled by professionals!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:25 AM
RCtruckRacer

OMG, I feel happy and sad for you at the same time! You thought it was a passion before? All this time and not one race, and so dedicated to the hobby... can you say epiphany? If you have even once competitive bone in your body... I shudder to think about it!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:30 AM
jefx

I am extremely competitive by nature, my friend. But yet I have to show it on the r/c racetrack!!!!!!

Soon my friend, soon. I will be swilling brew and downing chops in the passion of victory with my LST!!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:29 AM
A.B.U

Rednels, where do you live in TN? Just curious.. to know. Know of any tracks around Memphis? I know of about 2 or 3. =\ Small though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.