Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

$1000 race against 3 speed savage do i have a chance

Old 03-08-2006, 09:19 PM
oneillz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default $1000 race against 3 speed savage do i have a chance

my man challenged me to a race last week in the barber shop i was talking alot of $$it so he came back
with something that just sounded crazy. he starts in the end zone i start at the 50 yard line he has to go the
other end zone and back. i have to go from the 50 yard line to the end zone and back to the other endzone so its a 200 yard race i get a 50 yard head start. i have lst2 tini gears with os 30 removed bumpers and 40 series tires. he has
an os.30 with 3speed and he changed the gearing for topend. i asked both my lhss and they said he would
eat me up not even close. i figure my truck must be doing at least 46 to 48mph he would have to be able
to hit at least 70 to make it close. my calculations might be off but to me there is no way he should be able to catch me.
i just read an article on the savy 3speed that it gains %10 low end and %10 up top. i plan on purhasing 8man +2 pinions
also. my lhs is kinda anti lst because when ever he sells one he offers the customer to bring it back and he will fix for free
and he said they are allways coming back more so than any other truck he sells. he knows his stuff but he doesnt own
one so i dont know. he runs a mgt. what do u guys think?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:35 PM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: $1000 race against 3 speed savage do i have a chance

he would have to be cooking to overcome such a huge headstart...

but he's gonna have a hell of a time slowing down for the turn in the endzone.

still I would never bet 1000$ on anything I wasnt 100% positive of. this not being one of those things without seeing his truck in action.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:38 PM
A.B.U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok.. do this..
Take off your 40series tires, and stick the stockers back on! they will increase your top end a tad, but your acceleration will be a tad slower..

Also, always remember Savages + 180°turns = flip (if exceeding 15mph) You can easily take that turn faster than he can. Plus, chances are, you'll beat him.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:56 PM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

problem I see is, the 50 yard start is gonna make things tough. do you gear for the short dash or the long haul back?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
A.B.U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bauerbach

problem I see is, the 50 yard start is gonna make things tough. do you gear for the short dash or the long haul back?
Well.. he said he's going to get a 50yd head start. With a 50 yd. head start, the LST's already won.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah, I guess just gear it for the long haul.

he would need to be straight up hauling ass... how stable could the truck possibly be at that speed? most football fields arent the most perfect surface, if he hits a sprinkler dip or somthing, he'd really be cooked.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 PM
JSRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's all math. A football field is 300 long. Your friend has to travel down and back for a total of 600 feet. You have to travel 450 feet. If he travels at an average of 70 mph (doubt that), it will take him 8.5 seconds down and back. If you travel at an average of 40 mph (realistic), it will take you 11.25 seconds down and back. So say he really only does 55 mph, then it would take him 11 seconds. If you really do 42 mph, you would just beat him in a photo finish.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:07 PM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

in reality it takes upwords of 150' to max out the speed, specially for top end speed. both would likely average half that average speed, specially when you also factor in 50' or so for him, and 25' or so for you to slow down.

Id say he'd have a better chance if you started even and raced up and you went half back, he went all the way back. you have an edge in not having to slow down from full speed for the turn.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 AM
oneillz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

im not putting up the whole thousand. theres people backing him and me but it will still hurt to lose a five hundred.everybody
in the barbershop used to street race cars and sportbikes. then we got into rc but the only way to back up $$it talk is
with money. that pretty much explains it. since we agreed to the race we wont let each other see our trucks run.
but like vroddog said his speeds would have to be near impossible to beat me . what do u guys suggest i have
an 0s30 just finished breaking in. m427 took it out shortly after breakin. i have an sh28 on the way honk kong thats taking for ever the two are running like beasts.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 AM
DaveG55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Videos......
We're gonna want to see videos!!!!!!!!

If I were you I'd take the truck to the ball field and make a few test runs to see how it's going to handle the turf and turns and maybe get some "lap" times.
Personally, I think you've got a chance.
Be sure you've got somebody impartial at the finish line.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Videos........
Get videos!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:55 AM
rounder540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think your leaving one thing out here your racing on a football field ? grass right (dont know why people race grass) you will both be going much slower and putting alot more strain on your trucks should go with a dirt or street race with something similar but if your gonna do it that way the only thing i can say is the savage is one bad mo fo i have a sh 28 on mine and it rips blew the rear diff out got two brand new ones now and gpm titanium main shafts and it just blew the rear shaft out yesterday(think the pin is made of steel not titanium) but your lst2 should have a good chance its lighter then the savage im pretty sure and with higher gearing your 2 speed should be fine i would stick with the same engine as him just because.. but just practice practice practice and try to get the fastest times you can before the race and you should each make sure your running at optimun temp before you start too good luck dude
Old 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Ken448

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well if youre willing to put a grand, then why not fry an engine while in the process? Tune it for ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM performance, might even want to make your truck 2WD for the race.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:26 PM
blackrain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i feal he is going to beat you ive raced a three speed savage before with my fantom 27 truggy he had a sh28 in his savage. we both run 30 percent nitro and he spanked me. the sh seem to rev forever considering it has low rpm ratings compared to the fantom. if your going to go threw with it make shore you have a good clutch setup and your running 30% nitro and try and lighten up that lst.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're risking losing $500 on a single race you want to get that thing tuned perfectly beforehand.

Turn up at least an hour early and practice, set the needles, shocks,shift point, everything. Also lighten it as much as possible, take everything off which you won't need. Running a greater nitro % will also give you some extra speed, just be sure not to kill your engine in the process - it won't help if you get off to a flying start and then the con-rod goes through the side of the crankcase.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:13 PM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

end of the day, 90% chance the winner will be the one that doesnt mess up.

the one that doesnt flip on the turn or lose control on the high speed runs. and in both cases he will be going faster on the straights and have more speed to bleed on the turn. so chances are you dont need to worry at all since he will be running down the field to turn it on its wheels.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It might also be a good idea to stand near the turning point - that way you will be able to judge the corner better AND quickly get the thing back on all four wheels if you flip it.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 PM
gtsum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

not sure what to tell ya on the engines...I have an os30 in mine with the rdl pipe...the pipe made a big difference over the m427 and stock pipe...it is quite a bit faster (the os30 and rdl pipe) but the OS30 is not a good top end engine...now if you said you had a nova 28 in there, I would say go collect your money. If the mach 427 tops out around 40-42, my os30 and rdl pipe are around 46-48 (buddy has 18tm powered revo that is 45.0 flat) and the os and rdl combo is a bit faster then that. Deinately raise the fuel to 30%...good luck..I am interested in how this works out for ya....

How is that sh you got on order? Is it a high rpm motor? As a plus, your brakes are far superior to his...should be able to take it hot and heavy into the turn, make the turn and get back on your way better then he does...
Old 03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

put in a FOC kit, 30% nitro, spend $110 send the engine to RB mods. and spank his ***** cuz chances are he will get all antsy off the start and flip his savage on it's lid with a wheelie. and drop your LST to the ground.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 PM
rounder540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the sh 28 revs at 28,000 rpms with top hp of 3.6 or .5 which ever place you look havent done any top speed tests with mine yet still to muddy to even be thinking about racing yet but my question to oneillz is where are you getting your engine ebay ? and from who rcmaill is good seller but finally which one are you getting i got the 3 port one but the new one is a 6 port dont know how it will hold up since i like lower rpm engines anyway (more duration) rcmall recommends it but i havent looked yet since mine is still running strong .. but when it blows i think im gonna get one old one and a new 6 port one just because this thing is great the only problem is finding parts that wont break
Old 03-09-2006, 07:07 PM
RCKid1992

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am very interrest to find out the out com!!!![>:][>:][>:]
Old 03-11-2006, 12:15 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

okay quit posting you BS of trucks running 50 MPH, there is no way to actualy properly test the MPH......and as for this race that is going to happen ...Bull poopy.....race first then post, as you have no intention of ever racing in the first place......
Old 03-11-2006, 01:38 PM
oneillz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

im glad u can see my intentions jerk@@F i said 46-48 estimates.why doesnt everybody post thru u first
to see whats worthy of being posted. i would pay $100 just to be face to face to cowards like u talking sh##
on a keyboard i hope u get great satisfaction. if u live in ny i will pay your gas- memorial park, spring valley ny
u have an open invitation supertit
Old 03-11-2006, 01:43 PM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just curious on the speed thing, but wouldnt it be rather simple to strap a GPS to the truck and get a speed reading?

just an idea.

but it doesnt relate to the topic at hand.

in the end, spend a day at the field running back and forth, try all the different gear combos, and how soon to let off the gas to complete the turn ect ect, and find the fastest time you can get.

from there the race is a toss up since you dont know what his acceleration is like, his braking, nor his driving. you can estimate what speed he needs to reach all day, but it will all come down to how fast he can get up to speed.

chances are you'll win. but if he's throwing out the challenge with such a huge headstart, gotta assume he has something up his sleeve that makes him so confident.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:28 PM
gtsum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: supertib

okay quit posting you BS of trucks running 50 MPH, there is no way to actualy properly test the MPH......and as for this race that is going to happen ...Bull poopy.....race first then post, as you have no intention of ever racing in the first place......

Not sure who you are referring to, but the speeds I posted were from a gps strapped to the truck with an average of the runs taken. A neighbor is a cop and he verified with radar
Old 03-11-2006, 02:35 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bauerbach

chances are you'll win. but if he's throwing out the challenge with such a huge headstart, gotta assume he has something up his sleeve that makes him so confident.
Probably has some type of rocket strapped to the back of his truck. Gets to the turning point, swings it around and hits the big red button. lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.