Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

****WHICH MONSTER TRUCK PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Losi Aftershock
74.29%
HPI Savage X
25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

****WHICH MONSTER TRUCK PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:41 PM
gmaster1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****WHICH MONSTER TRUCK PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****

I was wondering if anybody could give me any ideas on some good monster trucks? I have a few that im looking at so please give me your opinions on the trucks.

Thanks

(Losi Aftershock or HPI Savage X)
Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
geepfreek

Default RE: ****WHICH MONSTER TRUCK PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****

the aftershock if it carries the same quality as the LST like i think it will will be sweet but not as durable as a savage
Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 AM
PillowPants

It's a toss up.. Both great quality.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 AM
CR500rider

well after all you ARE in the LOSi forum.....so go with the savage x
Old 05-15-2006, 10:57 AM
bauerbach

I got a question, in the losi forum, so Im hoping I can get a serious answer without the fanboy enthusiasm.

is the savage REALLY that durable? or is it just a fall back for the truck to claim when it kinda loses out to the revo and LST in every other way?

I mean, jeez, either my LST is an oddity, or the savage could get run over by a dump truck and live. and I hear about spur and pinion problems being a consistant problem for the savage too, how durable is that?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the savage is really durable. but they have spur and pinion problems as you said. the downside is they don't handle well cornering or on the track. one of the best bashing trucks out but not good for racing(in stock form).
Old 05-15-2006, 01:18 PM
bauerbach

but what makes them a good basher? what is their claim to fame? is it just simply bulletproof or what? its not the fastest, not the best jumper, not the best suspension, not the strongest drivetrain.

that whole best basher thing seems like a conselation prize with no real meaning, just to say the savage is good at something... youd think it could do things the revo and lst couldnt... as if racing is somehow easy on the truck; donno bout all of you, but racing is probably rougher on my truck than bashing. its out there for 6-20minutes running full blown doing massive jumps with walls and barriers, rubbing paint with other cars...

and somehow a couple jumps in my front lawn is rougher?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Chronic

You've obviously never played tag with a Savage. On a durability scale from 1 to 10, if an LST2 were an 8... then the Savage would be a 12. That's just an observation of my own two trucks.

Different people have different opinions on how a truck should act in the air too. My Savage behaves better in the air for me than the LST2 does. I've got the LE which came with the 3 speed and lighter tires, but still had the weak little NS.25 engine. The LST2 BARELY outran it when both were stock. The LST2 is better out of the box for sure, but who here runs their truck the way it came out of the box. I think a few of you guys need to go tangle with a real Savage one time. I'm not going to claim one is better than the other...and I really like both of them, but this whole thing about the LST being leaps and bounds better than the Savage is simply untrue.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
geepfreek

ive jumped my sav 16 or so feet in the air doiing back flips landing on concrete tires down only a shock broke after the third time ive gone full speed into poles and the sav bounces back a LST ran full speed into my sav to send it 4 ft sideways broke the front end of the LST and sav kept going.. but im getting an aftershock i love the way the LST handles and how it looks in the air
Old 05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Revo79

Gmaster, the best thing to do IMO is to read through posts on both boards and see what people are saying about their trucks. You will be able to get a good feel for what the strengths and weaknesses are of each truck by reading a minimal amount of posts. From there you should have a much easier time making your decision hopefully.

Honestly, by coming to the Losi board and asking what truck you should buy out of a Losi and HPI, most people are going to tell you to go with the Losi, because we love our LST's, but if you went to the HPI forum, most people will tell you to go Savage. Theres going to be a bias. So your question will probably be better answered by you doing some research on each truck and then coming to your own decision.

Just my .02
Old 05-15-2006, 07:06 PM
the savage killer
My Feedback: (5)

i would say the aftershock i had a savage x and i got rid of it at a huge loss because its not near as durable as my savage le not to mention it still doesn't handle the best. The aftershock will handle better and in my opinion will be an all around better truck
Old 05-15-2006, 07:58 PM
mmduc

ok,here is an un biased response. i have a savagex with a k4.6,3 speed,dirt bonz etc. i love that truck,i also have a revo 3.3,a hellfire,and i just got an lst2. i cannot comment on the lst2 as far as performance cause im just breaking it in.its a big truck,very high quaility,awesome radio. i think each truck has it good points as well as it bad ones. the revo 3.3 is fast,handles great,but isnt nearly as tough as the savage x. it all depends what your looking for in a vehicle. i have to say i love my x with the mods i have,and wouldnt trade it for the world. its tough,reliable.but,you get that cheap am radio with it.the spur gear i fixed by going to a metal hpi spur,and racing clutch bell. no more issues.the stock steering servo is weak also. but the 4.1 engine was really good.wheelied great, good power and speed. i sold my 4.1 for a good price to buy the k4.6. the truck is insane with the 3 speed. the losi quality is top notch,and ive only driven it at about 1/2 throttle,so i cannot give a complete evaluation,but just by driving it at 1/2 throttle,it seems to handle very good,and has alot of power. again,its all what your looking for in a truck. if money isnt a concern,then get the losi.but if you want a very good truck at a pretty good price,the savage x is the way to go. good luck in your choice,im sure youll enjoy whatever your purchase........
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

I have to admit, the Savage is a beast. Do you wonder why RPM never made a-arms for it? Well as they said, it was durable enough as it is so we don't need to make any. They know when to make the a-arms, and the Savage certainly doesn't need them.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 PM
CR500rider

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

I have to admit, the Savage is a beast. Do you wonder why RPM never made a-arms for it? Well as they said, it was durable enough as it is so we don't need to make any. They know when to make the a-arms, and the Savage certainly doesn't need them.
that is soo true, the savage IS the toughest TRUCK AROUND. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE SAVAGE x, BUT MY SAVAGE 25 WAS ONE HELLUVA TOUGH COOKIE. i got it in february 04 and i think ive broken 2 a-arms, stripped 2 front diffs, and broke 1 bulkhead. i have also jumped at least 12-14 feet in the air and landed VERY badly and it still came back for more. i wish i could say the same for my LST. the LST is far more fun to drive because of its size, speed and handling and also a lot easier to work on than a savage. i sold my savage because i never drove it after i got my LST back in july of last year. sure the LST breaks but i dont mind....its a blast
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
PillowPants

anybody see that savvy X kit that was previewed at the RCX show? 1 word.. SCHWIIIIIING!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I supsect what Savages are good for, over the others, is surviving bad drivers... Or even good drivers doing bad things to their trucks.. Bashing is not an exact science (racing is more like that..) Sometimes bad things WILL happen when out in the sandpit or gravel pit or wherever with crazy jumps, etc.., and it's good to know that your truck is tough and will survive most of what you throw at it. "Most" I said.. That's what Savages are all about.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

the Savage is durable as long as were not talking about drivetrain, stock diffs are junk! tranny likes to explode once in a while, dogbones like to vanish, steering servo is garbage, did i mention stock diffs are junk? but you can jump it off a building and it usually survives
Old 05-17-2006, 03:21 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound about right. 2 1/2 gallons in though, I haven't had any of those problems(or ANY problems, except the OWB which I had to change last week, probably as a result of running too rich..) with my Savage 25. But then I haven't jumped it off a building. Yet..
Old 05-17-2006, 01:20 PM
mmduc

savage x has 4 dear diffs. ive hammed it with the k4.6,and no issues