Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

well somthing broke........

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:26 PM
PDXa4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well somthing broke........

Ok so i was really excited cause i finnaly got my LST2 running really good. So i was dinkin around in my street, and i noticed that my brakes werent working. upon closer inspection, i had lost my front wheel drive! I havent torn it down yet cause i gotta go to work but does anyone have any ideas what it might be? Im prolly gonna pick up the FOC tomorrow and put it in cause it seems like a good time to do it.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 PM
bauerbach

Default RE: well somthing broke........

2 to 1 its the grub screw on the output cup of the tranny.

you have to reseat that grub on the flat part of the drive it sits on, if its not on the flat section it wont hold well. and definitly use threadlock. if you have a butane cigar lighter or hand torch use red. if not, you can get by with blue.

obviously if your gonna do threadlock, do the FOC first.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 PM
RCtruckRacer

Set screw. See the Threadlock sticky.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Loswave

While your at it threadlock the one for your rear wheel drive too, it wont be long before that one loosens up as well, once you get them thread locked real well it won't be a problem anymore.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 PM
PDXa4

so does that explane the brakes not working? just wanna make sure its not 2 seperate issues. BTW thanks for the quick replys. you guys rock.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:43 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup if the front grub screw comes loose or falls out and you lose front wheel drive you will have NO brakes. make sure when you threadlock them that they and the hole they go in is free of grease or dirt. if not then the threadlock will not hold correctly. and there's no need for red threadlock.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM
PDXa4

cool thanks a bunch guys. I gotta say the people on this board seem to be the most helpful i've run across in any message board, not just R/C stuff.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Ken448

you think we are good here? Check us out on LSTCentral.com
Old 05-18-2006, 10:26 PM
bentgear

While the front set screw backing out will cause the front wheels not to pull, you should still have rear wheel brakes, they will work just fine even if the front shaft is completely removed. You will however notice a reduced amount of brakes since only one end is working.

Ed M.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:29 PM
bauerbach

there are no rear brakes... and the brake disks are mounted on the drive cup. if the grub of that cup is loose then the brakes wont work either.

now if you lose FWD cause the axle dropped out, or diff went out, or anything like that, than sure, brakes will still work. but not the grub, gotta have the grub or you lose the brakes.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 AM
PDXa4

ok so upon closer inspection it looks like the drive shaft came out of the front diff. is this still the same problem you guys have been talking about?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Loswave

I'm betting it came out because that grub screw backed out and allowed enough play to let it fall out of the diff cup. Check on the transmission side of the axle, there will be a grub screw that keeps the axle locked on the outdrive of the tranny, if that sucker is loose that's your problem. If it is, just put the axle back into the diff cup, then get some threadlock, and lock the grub screw in th hole so that it's against the flat side of the transmission's outdrive. Then find the grub screw that holds the rear axle on the tranny, take it out, and threadlock it back into place, because the same exact thing will happen to the rear end, except you will still have breaks.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:54 AM
PDXa4

ok I really hate to be such a noob but just so i understand.... I took off the front skid plate and i can see that the set screw that holds the front driveshaft to the front diff is gone. is that the grub screw you are talking about? it looks to me like thats all i have to fix. btw to get that thing back in there, it kinda looks like i have to pretty much take the whole front end apart. is that right? sorry if I'm not using the right terms but im still learning.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:56 AM
PDXa4

this is the fundamental problem with RTRs over kits. I have no idea how this thing goes together. guess i should tear it all down and rebuild it just so i know.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:36 AM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes that's the screw. when you put one back in make sure you check all other grub screws on the drive shafts. remove and threadlock all of them there are 4 total(2 front-2 back).
[quote]ORIGINAL: PDXa4

I took off the front skid plate and i can see that the set screw that holds the front driveshaft to the front diff is gone. is that the grub screw you are talking about?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:09 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

PDX, just remove the plate, and thread the grub screw in.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:50 AM
bentgear

bauerback, I agree with you, but you overlooked a key word in my post - FRONT. I should have been more clear about what I was trying to say.

Ed M.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:36 PM
PDXa4

well ok 1 more question. is it just me or is it really tough to get the tranny back in? what i mean is getting the driveshafts back into the outdrives. i cant seem to figure this out.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
bauerbach

you have to remove 8 screws, the 4 holding the shock tower, and the front 4 on the front skid plate. with those 8 removed, grab the bumper and tug. the whole front end will pull out. tug gently cause some things can come loose, watch when you pull so you see where anything falls out of.

fron there, line up the shaft and push it back together into the cup. redo the 8 screws, all done.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Loswave

They should go on pretty easy, make sure they are lined up, and it's easier when the grub/set screw isn't even threaded into the hole yet. I find that it is a little irratating though, mostly because it's a sort of small space to work in. I suppose my advice would be to just keep fiddling until it goes in, just don't force it. I hope you get your truck running again soon!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 PM
PDXa4

I hope you get your truck running again soon!
you and me both brother!!! ( or sister! whatever)
Old 05-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Loswave

To tell you the truth I haven't had to touch mine ever since I threadlocked all the set screws on the driveline. So, with any luck whatsoever, if you threadlock it, it won't be a problem again.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:49 PM
PDXa4

I have come to realize that i seem to over-complicate things. its back in and going back together fine. thanks for the info.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Loswave

I think everyone overcomplicates things every now and then. Sort of like when people complain about computers or any other piece of electronics not working, so they call someone to help, without checking to see if it's plugged in... Hope you enjoy driving it now!