Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST2 EATING MY BATTERY

Old 05-19-2006, 09:59 AM
buffmeadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST2 EATING MY BATTERY

I have a problem with my batteries running down between runs (overnight)

At first I thought that maybe it was the old battery that had some scrapes off of the wiring(maybe shorting out), so I bought a new battery.
I'm still having the same trouble though.

Could it be the switch?

Is there some way that I can tell if it's under a load even when the switch is off?

Also, I was in a hurry to get it charged the other day at a track (I forgot about it eating the battery overnight), so I used my charger to give it a partial charge up to 400 ma.

After about 5 minutes, the battery was totally dead again. Should it have lasted longer?
I'm just wondering if there is something weird with my receiver or servos that is taxing the battery too much.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:41 AM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: LST2 EATING MY BATTERY

Not knowing what your set up is makes it harder to answer. I can tell you mine and my experience.

I use a single 1400mah flat pack with a Spektrum rx and dual Airtronics 94359 steering servos. With that setup, a 5 minute qualifier (with warm up laps) drains over 250mah. that battery pack gives me about 20 minutes of run time. If I ever make it to an A main, I have a 2500mah hump pack on the front shock tower that can be hooked up at the same time. That will give me pleanty of power for a 30 or 45 min main.

Since the battery's voltage will fall below what the rx needs to operate when its charge is too low, the 400mah charge lasting just 5 mins sounds about right. However, I would say that the pack should not discharge overnight. The switch is a likely suspect. Try disconnecting it overnight and see if that does anything.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 AM
mikewoodkozar

400mah is not going to last long, and if you leave it plugged in.....its going to drain no matter what. Always unplug it! What pack are you using?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 AM
bentgear

As a simple test you could charge the battery and then unplug it. If it still has almost a full change the next day that would indicate a drain in the system, most likely the switch as that would have to be remaining partially on for any current to pass on to the receiver/servos.

At what rate are you charging the receiver pack? What kind of servos are you running? What kind of condition is everything in? These are some other questions that need answers to determine the life expectancy of your battery.

BTW, with 2 steering servos and the size of tires weight of vehicle the LST does put a heavy drain on a receiver pack.

Ed M.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:19 PM
gtsum

wow, those run times are really low...something has to be binding somewhere (steering servo's fighting each other maybe?) or something. I run dual air 358's for steering and an air 758 for throttle. I use a 1400 mah traxxas pack (stock revo battery). I can get about 75 minutes of run time with this setup. I try to slow charge mine with the losi overnight charger, but also use the quick charger from the revo when time is short (charges it in about 25 minutes)