Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

spur gears?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
jbott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spur gears?????????????????

I,ve got about 8 after breakin tanks on my lst1and have already stripped all 4 gears {spur& the ones off the clutch bell}I did this in one outting but i do run it in the local sand dunes.Did I find the weak link on this thing or what and is it worth it to upgrade to the steel gears
Old 06-15-2006, 06:38 PM
bauerbach

Default RE: spur gears?????????????????

Id double check the mesh.

if something ate your metal pinions; TiNi spurswill just eat the pinions faster, and if both are TiNi you'll STILL eat something up or throw the motor mounts out of alignment.

maybe get a RPM gear cover; could protect the gears better from the sand.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
jbott

thanks for the reply?what do you run on yours?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 PM
gtsum

i have run the tini and the stock gears...your mesh is off bad if you scrapped all of the gears. I am back to 8 man plus 2 pinions and stock, plastic spurs...I am done with the tini gears (they destroy everything if something goes wrong). Also, my rpm cover would rub on the tini spurs...does not rub with the stock spurs
Old 06-15-2006, 08:52 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

running in sand is the worst thing you can do. plan on tearing the truck down after EVERY run or else you'll be spending alot of money replacing part's. any part that moves on your WILL get sand in it and destroy it.
as far as gear covers use the lst2 inner and outer.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
bauerbach

I run stock gears, plastic spurs, and lst2 cover. but i think the lst had a different gear cover? thought it did anyway; and that was the point of the RPM cover.

I dont run in the sand though. never had a gear die without some completely unrelated malfunction. (clutch bell bearings and motor mount screws) both cases, had I had TiNi spurs, my pinion would have been trashed instead.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:50 AM
screamin chicken

I too trashed all of my gears with the RPM cover, my LSt is only about 3 weeks old, and my friends about 2 months, and we both have the same problem.These trucks where brand new and we did nothing to them, so I am guessing that the mesh is wrong from the factory.I just installed the Ti Ni gears and cannot get the outter gear to sit in the middle of the 1st gear pinion, the 2nd gear sits in the middle of the 2nd pinion with no problems, I installed the way as the lst manuel says.....any ideas...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 AM
RCtruckRacer

It's entirely possible that the mesh was bad out of the box. I'll always prefer kits to RTR's...Gear mesh or foreign bodies are the only causes of stripped gears. I ran well over 4 gallons through my LST before the TiNi coated gears were even released. I still have the stock gears, and they will probably end up in the basher I am building out of all my old parts and fleabay finds.

Scream: try turning the small pinion around and see if that makes it center a bit better. keep in mind that the play in the clutchbell (you do have some play there right? You can move the bell back and forth over the crankshaft about 1 mm or less, yes?) will help center the gears. Same for the spur gears, they should have a small amount of play.

As an aside, I've been using the RPM cover with zero problems. Perhaps its the side rails from the LST2 being different that is causing problems when using the RPM cover.