Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Antenna Wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:14 AM
haascncguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Wire

Has anyone ever cut their antenna wire.... Last weekend I was out in the yard bashing and when I finished I went to pick up the truck, and there on the ground was the antenna in the plastic sheath. There is about 3 inches left coming off the reciever.... what is the best way to protect it after I have sautered it?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 AM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Antenna Wire

Use some heatshrink tubing over the exposed area.

I've heard that "soldering" a severed antenna is not a great way to fix it, but if it works... Great!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 AM
mikewoodkozar

what i do is cut an antenna tube (not the wire) in half and then put a piece of fuel tubing about 2 inches long in between the two antenna tube halves. This gives the antenna a soft flexing point in the middle, its been working for me for years now. Maybe i can post a pic later.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 PM
haascncguy

What is a better way to conect it than with solder??
Old 06-21-2006, 01:19 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open the reciever unit up, get a new antenna wire (identical to the length of the old one) and solder it directly to the internal printed circuit board. If you haven't ever soldered surface mount components before, you might not want to start with your reciever.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:23 AM
haascncguy

Thanks, I gave it a try last night and all looks good!! Took it to the track last night and range checked it then ran it!! I think it'll hold up!!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
DaveG55

You can solder the two pieces back togeather and it will work just fine. The 1/2 inch you lose in length won't make a bit of difference. Use heat shrink tubing to protect the solder joint. The only downsides to repairing it this way is that your solder joint will likely not fit in the antenna tube and the antenna wire will no longer be flexable at the solder joint. A more profesional way of repairing it is to replace the antenna wire completely. A replacement wire is only a couple dollars at most LHS's.
I've always wondered about the locic of people who say soldering two wire ends togeather is not as good as soldering to a circut board. I have always believed that the better the mechanical connection before soldering the better the solder joint will be and thus the better the electrical connection will be.