Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

A ruckus in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
CESSPOOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A ruckus in reverse

I have the FOC installed, so obviously reverse is non existant at this point. When I roll it in reverse though it makes a lot of noise, is this normal or is something screwed up inside?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
mikewoodkozar

Default RE: A ruckus in reverse

how did you shim it? And if the tranny is out of the car and you spin the output shaft in either direction it should be very fluid and there should not be a lot of noise. It should just sound like gears and grease meshing together. If it feels or sounds rough, you might want to tear it apart and check bearings, shims and shaft play on the three shafts that are in there now.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:02 PM
gkram

How do you check the bearings? Or should you just replace them each time you rebuild the diff?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 PM
CESSPOOL

While I had a hunch you would say as much, I was hoping it was normal...

By shims, you mean the little washers that go on the end of the bearings? the directions were a bit, i don't know, VAGUE!! considering there are NO words...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:24 PM
mikewoodkozar

ORIGINAL: CESSPOOL

While I had a hunch you would say as much, I was hoping it was normal...

By shims, you mean the little washers that go on the end of the bearings? the directions were a bit, i don't know, VAGUE!! considering there are NO words...
Yeah i hear ya, what directions right? Well, really what i found was a lot of trial and error,i have built four of these transmissions with the FOC kit and every single tranny case is molded slightly different, so, what works well in one doesnt work in another.

I try to build the tranny with no to very little play in the gear shafts. Then i start to screw it back together (use a power driver on the absolute lowest torque settings, these cases liek to crack, i know i have done it more times than i like to count). Check that it is still very fluid and smooth, if its not take out the shim that looks like the culprit. Like i said, trial and error, but the end result is especially delicious indeed!