Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

4 wheel drive too 2 wheel drive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Losi8TP3
Banned
My Feedback: (-3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive too 2 wheel drive!!!

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever took your front drive shaft off of your LST,LST2,Aftershock?And if it helps at all i mean if you think about it,it would.More power to the back wheels.Well i was just curious,i am gonna try it and then post up.I love 4 wheel drive but i think it would wheelie more with just 2 wheel drive!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 4 wheel drive too 2 wheel drive!!!

2wd is fun, but not very practical. I've done it both ways - I had FWD on accident (The set screw came loose) and RWD on purpose (Curious like you). It is pretty cool to kick the tail out on barely damp street, but the braking is what becomes troublesome. 2wd brakes like to spin the truck - especially when RWD & RW Brakes. They lock quite easy and do not slow the truck very well (Hint - do not drive in congested areas).

RWD makes is easy (Especially with Proline bowties and damp grass) to "burn the grass" or do a "lawn job" AKA, remove grass and leave patches of dirt behind.

Did it wheelie easier? A little. But wheelies have never been an issue for me. I always take my time tuning, use Aluminum clutch shoes (Mugen) and have my slipper to 1/2 turn from tight. Wheelies come quite easy and are nearly on demand.

If you have the itch, definately remove the front drive shaft (Leave the front tranny drive cup so that you still have brakes) and give it a go. You will return to 4wd, but, like me, you will have a story or 2 to tell.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 PM
JSRacer

I lost my front diff and it was night and day on the track. Rear wheel drive is very squirrely! It makes it much harder to control the LST2. I knew I lost it right away, no doubt. I'd come off a jump and the back end would slide out. It did one heck of a donut though!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:01 AM
mikewoodkozar

Yeah i lost RWD one time (set screw came loose) and finished the race in FWD. It was really weird, but hey what can you do? RWD sound fun though, hehe
Old 07-15-2006, 01:13 AM
DawgBone

it's damn-near uncontrollable...unless you bust down to a .21 or less......

but...just adding thicker diff lube will give you that same effect...but with better control...

http://media.putfile.com/Flamer13
Old 07-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Chronic

I've dropped enough shafts to know how crappy just front or rear drive is like with all of my trucks, but it's actually fun with the Kyosho Mad Force. The truck only weighs about 9lbs, and it has a short wheelbase, three speed, and a .21 engine. That thing will spin all four tires a little on most surfaces anyway, but in 2wd it's just freakin crazy. With just the front wheels turning it will spin until you let off of it, and that's out in the road in front of my house, you can actually drift it in rear wheel drive.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Racing T

wow that sounds very cool!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:04 PM
mikewoodkozar

You should post a vid of that Chronic
Old 07-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: Racing T

wow that sounds very cool!
It's fun, for a little while at least. They have solid axles and the handling is kind of funky compared to something like the LST, there is alot more unsprung weight and that changes things alot, but the main reason it will light them up so easy is the tire setup itself. The tires have a chevron style tread and they are almost as big as LST tires... but they don't have any foams in them and they are mounted on short Clodbuster style wheels. Top speed is supposed to be about 43mph in stock form and it gets REALLY twitchy when it winds third gear out.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: mikewoodkozar

You should post a vid of that Chronic
I probably will video one of the fwd burnouts next time I have it and the camera together. It's pretty cool, but I imagine it's hard on the engine and that little two bevel front diff setup. Maybe I can get a good burnout AND some carnage in one vid!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:31 PM
mikewoodkozar

That would be cool for a video, but not so cool for the truck. Yet i still want to see it. I am working with a buddy who i finally convinced to buy an LST. We are going to attempt a kick butt bash video.