Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

New to LST and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 PM
LJ NITRO
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LST and Problems

OK I have read through the last 8 pages and nothing fit my problems. I got this LST from a friend who just broke it in.

First off, when i brake (medium to hard) there is a crunching noise. I am thinking it is in the tranny.

second, there is more off the line power in reverse than forward. almost like first gear is way too slow.

third, I am having some tuning issues. At first it took like 20 second to idle down, but now it doesn't want to stay running without throttle.

I don't want to lose reverse with this truck, i could do without the Low gears. And now once running the truck wants to start rolling like the spur is too tight. I haven't worked on anything yet but replace arms.

I am looking at future parts RPM arms, LST2 spindles, axles, 23mm wheels and adapters for the LST2 axles.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 PM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: New to LST and Problems

First, the crunching noise is probably from a cracked dif case. The 1 has plastic cases that crack easily. When they do, the ring and pinion gears in the dif slip causing that noise. Get Aluminum cases.

Not sure on the second one - might want to check the shifting forks to make sure the Hi/Low fully engages.

Tuning issues... could be many things. Make sure the glow plug gets good and hot, if so try the pinch test on the LSN, you may be rich on the bottom end.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:03 PM
LJ NITRO

so i should get some cases and internals from one of the chop shops on ebay? i'll try the pinch test next time i run
Old 07-30-2006, 01:45 AM
lst2maniac

OK on your first problem i would check and make sure your diff is not bad

second the more power in reverse is a sign that your diff is most likely the rear

third goes with forth sounds like a bad clutch shoe spring this will make your truck stall alot because the clutch will not disengage

Hope this helps
Old 07-30-2006, 05:16 AM
LJ NITRO

I was thinking the same about the clutch. Didn't they change something with the clutch on the LST2?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 AM
swolrath

my brakes sounded like crunching gears for a long time but not any more. thats metal on metal for you. with take off maybe you only have two wheel drive at the moment?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:09 AM
mikewoodkozar

Yes, definetly check the hi/lo selector on your tranny (lst1's are prone to problems in this spot), and i as well notice some grinding noises in my brakes (albeit not very severe, just noticeable), i have found that the brakes tend to suck up dirt and debris from time to time and really is no big deal, but if you pull the tranny, clean the discs and the pads and then spin the tranny, works for me every time, but if its your diffs.......well then that is anotehr story.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 PM
nitrorcjunkie

crunching noise is definitely a busted diff case part # losb3532 aluminum diff cases. you shouldn't have to replace any of the gears or bearings, but check to see that your drive cups are straight. also check the setscrew on the drive cup at the front of the tranny, where the brake discs are. remove the setscrew, add blue loctite and reinstall, making sure the setscrew jams on the flat part of the output shaft. check your wheel hexes also, which should be upgraded to aluminum anyway.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:46 PM
ross_jsy

i'm not sure as i run a foc and have done from day one but isn't reverse on the lst slightly lower gearing than 1st gear? you should replace the diff housing even if it is not cracked as the lst1 diff casses are poo. idle problem could be one of a few things, either the clutch springs or glow plug. did you fiddle with the iddle adjustment....that could also be the problem
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Nitronutt

Hello? Everyone? More power in reverse is the way it is SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!! REVERSE IS ALWAYS LOW GEAR (Regardless of the Hi/Low Selector).

A long time to idle down is either a lean LSN or a very high idle setting. Reset the needles to factory settings and re-tune from there. Adjust the idle (Using the idle adjustment screw) so that there is an air gap about the thickness of a penny when the throttle is fully closed.

Crunching? If the truck has just been broken in on the original motor, then brake pad and brake disk wear are not a factor. After several gallons, I had that issue. I replaced the pads and disks and the problem was gone. If you have plastic diff cases, definately replace them with the aluminum ones - that fix is very old and the diff cases are not expensive. Be sure to check the driveline set screws to make sure that everything is in its place and is tight.

If the truck wants to run away at idle, either the idle is set too high, or you have a weak/broken clutch spring.