Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

A strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:02 PM
bakersfield basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A strange problem

Today I was tuning my motor in with a new fuel O'Donnall,s 30%, works great it even got some wheelies but I drove it up a ramp and was going to roll down it backwards when it stalled, it still had half a tank. I gave it a 10 min rest and went to start it again when I noticed it would not roll backwards something was binding (I've kinda ruled out the diffs) and it would not idle it would start then die when I let off the throttle,so I got it going with half throttle and did a lap around the yard and then it was fine no stalling and no binding up. PLEASE ADVISE WHAT MAY BE WRONG[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 08-26-2006, 03:20 AM
bigstu85

Default RE: A strange problem

Sounds to me like it could be a clutch shoe spring that has snapped, causing the clutch to bind. If this has happened the engine will be engaged at no matter what rpm the engine is doing and will not idle. Pull the clutch bell off and take a look at the clutch shoe springs and see if any are broken. this would allow you to start the engine at higher rpms and driver it aslong as it doesnt drop back to idle.

bigstu
Old 08-26-2006, 09:30 AM
dgz69er

That binding sound could be your breaks. I hate that same sound. It sounds like something is binding in the tranny. The throttle servo on the aftershock is ****. I mean ****. I did a readjustment on the servo and now it doesn't make that noise anymore, but I also have very little brake. I've got a jr 590 on my Tmaxx that I think I am going to use as a throttle servo on my aftershock.

I am also hoping the new aluminum clutch shoes I put on helps the tranny issue?!? I have the issue where it sounds like the tranny pops into neutral and then revs really high. The one way bearing was mentioned to me by bakerfield basher, and I read it in another thread. I haven't taken the aftershock apart so I'm not sure where this owb is. If someone could tell me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm guessing its not the owb on the pull start.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:59 AM
mikewoodkozar

It is NOT the brakes. Sounds like a clutch problem to me as well, yank that clutch bell of and tell us what you see
Old 08-26-2006, 12:38 PM
bakersfield basher

I checked the clutch and it was all the way it was suppose to be only thing I can think is a shoe maybe some how piggy backed on the shoe in front of it if thats even POSSIBLE. (what I mean is one shoe was engaged because it couldn't go back down.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 08-26-2006, 05:07 PM
mikewoodkozar

no, that shouldnt be the case, but it still really sounds like a clutch issue, did you take off all of the shoe and inspect the springs? I would do that at first as the LST's clutch system is inadequate at best.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:23 AM
bakersfield basher

I didn't take the shoes off but I did lift and kinda wiggle each shoe and the springs where all set in there channel and it all looked good but I wasn't having the problem at the time I looked. I'll see if it happens again and then I will look at the clutch, maybe I'll catch whats going on but I do hope its the clutch thats an easy fix.[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 08-27-2006, 09:16 AM
dgz69er

The reason I mentioned the brakes is because you said it was binding. I had a recent problem with the brakes binding on my shock. Not completely paying attention to your post I just replied with a check the brakes thought. I would go with mikes advice. He seems to have a fair amount of knowledge on the lst1 and 2.

I think the problem I messaged you about ended up being the one way bearing on the two speed. At least hopefully that is the problem. I went through and cleaned it up and then put the inside dust cover on my aftershock to hopefully keep some stuff out of their.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:53 AM
ou812lol

Take out a shot gun and shoot it. Save yourself ALOT of time and a few bucks.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM
mikewoodkozar

ORIGINAL: ou812lol

Take out a shot gun and shoot it. Save yourself ALOT of time and a few bucks.
lol! another way to see if it was those pesky little clutch shoes is to start the truck, let it idle. Does it move and never sit still? Do you have to start it like an F1 car (start it on a block then toss it on the pavement in a rolling fashion or else it will stall)? Even if the springs look good, they could be fatigued or sticking, how much fuel do you have on them? Plus wouldnt you love an excuse to upgrade them?

If its not the clutch and all of those tests dont solve the problem, then nest step would be to check the one way in the 2 speed spurs.

If thats okay, then it could be the brakes in the tranny, the tranny itself or the diffs.

The later few are highly unlikey because the clutch bell is designed to slip and spin freely, usually if it stalls out like you talk about then its the shoes or the springs.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 AM
bakersfield basher

Yes I did the F1 car thing or it would stall, so of course it was moving if I let off the gas it died. the brakes are fine and that can't do any thing to make it stall, but it's fine for now I'll try to see if it does it again on Monday.........If it does I'll bus a cap & is *****..[sm=punching.gif].......My clutch springs only have 5 or 6 tanks on them, Hey are the aluminum shoes heavier than my stockers? dgz69er let me know if its the 2 speed or if it happens again start new thread on it [sm=greedy.gif]
Old 08-28-2006, 01:43 AM
mikewoodkozar

did you try a new glow plug? What plugs are you using? Also, have you tried opening up your idle set screw a little?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:30 AM
duckedup

Seeing he was using 30%, I was also wondering about the glow plug.....though, I haven't ran 30% yet so I don't know if a hot plug with hot fuel could be the problem..
Old 08-28-2006, 05:42 PM
dgz69er

Try putting in new aluminum clutch shoes. They are pretty much the same weight as the stock plastic ones. I couldn't tell much of a difference when I held them. When you go to put on the new springs. Soften them up first. Take two pair of needle nose pliers and move them in the same fashion they would if they were engaging. This will help your truck engage quicker. Also it will be three new springs that you know are good.

You don't have to soften up the springs, but if you like torque in your rc this will help. Keep in mind this might not be the best choice for you, but its an option.

I don't think the one way bearing is causing your problem. It could possibly be in the tranny. I would tear the clutchbell of and inspect it for unusual signs, then go to the spur gears and inspect everything their. If all else fails. Call losi before you rip into the tranny. Maybe they can help you. I called them today and they are sending me a new OWB.

Those are my thoughts and I'm probably wrong.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 AM
mikewoodkozar

Bakery Bashery, did you try a new glow plug? Also, have you tried opening up yout idle a tad?

We need an update, is it still having issues?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 AM
bakersfield basher

I am using an os#8 plug, it has 1.5 gallons on it and its due for a change the very last coil isn't glowing and it ran like crap today but no unusual problems except it died at half a tank and it would not start just sputter. The idle is fine it'll sit there and run long enough to refill my fuel bottle and the tank no problem. No binding today but I only got a half tank run. I'am thinking about getting new shoes will the aluminum ones grip the bell better?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 AM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you havent done it yet move your fuel filter to the back of the shock tower. it sounds like its getting hot and leaning it out at a half tank.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
trackman

hey fourwheels didnt the doc tell you to take it easy??? get off line and get some rest, we miss picking
on you at the track!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:17 PM
bakersfield basher

I moved the filter the first day I got it.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 PM
dgz69er

I highly recommend the aluminum ones. I put them on my shock. I can't tell too much of a difference. Mostly cause I am still somewhat breaking my truck in, and not to mention the problem with the OWB that I had.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 AM
bakersfield basher

I had my AFTERSHOCK bind up again today so I took it apart and found that the bearings in the clutch bell where shot so I threw in a new set, problem solved.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

It sounded like a clutch problem
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 AM
bakersfield basher

You guys called it THANKS
Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 AM
mikewoodkozar

glad to hear its working well again, i am back in michigan after a long vacation in Cali, man i had nitro withdrawls
Old 09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
dgz69er

Dude that is the worst. A few weeks ago I went to nebraska to be the best man in my buddies wedding. The whole time I was thinking about going and buying a truck to play with while I was there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.