Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Aftershock Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 AM
dgz69er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftershock Help please!!!

I bought an Aftershock. Halfway through breaking into breaking it in. It started doing something weird. It sounds like the tranny is letting go. When the engine idles down it will do this pop thing in the front and then it will go again. After I accelerate it will start reving up high again. *sounding like the tranny let go* It is become very annoying, because I can't even get into the powerband on the truck.

Here is what I have done. I replaced the clutch shoes with some ofna aluminum clutch shoes. Seems to have made the problem worse. I don't think its the shoes cause the spur gears are spinning. I took the spur gear off and cleaned everything including the one way bearing in the two speed. Put everything back together *correctly*. Took it out. Problem got worse. I then took the gear cover off to see if I could see what the problem was. So I accelerated on the truck. The spur gears are moving, but the shaft that goes to the tranny is staying still. Now my thoughts led me to believe that the nut that you tighten down on the spur gear wasn't tight enough. So I tightened it as tight as I could get it, and it would move for a little bit, but then it would get loose. Tried to retighten the nut, but it was already tight. I rotated the spur gear by hand and it seemed to grab the shaft and move it. Now my thoughts are leading me to believe maybe the OWB is failing one me. I have cleaned it out a few times cause it seems like oil keeps getting in the one way bearing. I'm not sure if the oil is not allowing the owb to grab the tranny shaft or what the problem is.

If anyone has any ideas *not smart ass ones*. Please help me out.

I ran into some kid who said he had similar problems and it was the clutch shoes. He said he softened up the springs and that helped him. I don't see this being the problem though. If my clutch shoes werent engaging, than the spur gears wouldn't be spinning.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you want any sort of lubrication in the one way bearing do you? This is my first losi truck. So much of this stuff I have never had to deal with before.

Any help is deeply appreciated. I really tend to believe it has to do with the one way bearing. The problem is. The only other one way bearings I have go to pull starts so I don't know if they would work.

Thank you.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:57 PM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: Aftershock Help please!!!

I am wondering how oil is getting on to the spur gear. Sounds like you found your problem. Even though you can turn the gears/input shaft by hand, that is not the same as a 1.5 hp motor turning it at 10,000 RPM's. If there is oil in there, it may be causing the slipper not to catch as well. I'd say you need to isolate where the oil is coming from.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:31 PM
bullitt3577

That's a similar problem with my friends Aftershock, and it was the OWB. I cleaned it out and used Racers Choice One Way lube afterwards. That cured that problem.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
dgz69er

Thanks for the help guys. I actually came to the conclusion at work that it can only be the one way bearing. I'm not sure where the oily material is coming from. Actually I think it is possibly coming from the engine. Which means I need to go throught the engine with some permatex, and make sure everything has a good seal on it.

I called losi today and they are going to send me a new one way bearing.

So I now have two more questions that are both going to make me sound like a complete noob, but remember this is my first losi so I have never really had to deal with one way bearings before. Atleast in this sense.

1. I was told that if I sprayed Nitro cleaner on a OWB it would ruin it. Is this true? If so how am I supposed to effectively clean the OWB.

2. I've never heard of One way lube before. When I first read it on this board. Blinker fluid was the first thing that came to my mind. So is this stuff real? And do I actually need it?

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:33 PM
bullitt3577

I used Nitro clean on my friends bearing, and nothing happened to it. The one way lube is made/sold by Racer's Choice, I don't know if anyone else sells it or if it's anything special, but I use it on all my OWB and it did work on my buddies Aftershock bearing.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM
bullitt3577

Here's the part number for the one way grease.

Racer's Choice #7040

Also Serpent sells OWB lube #1680 and X-Ray #30 9580

Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:35 AM
mikewoodkozar

ORIGINAL: bullitt3577

Here's the part number for the one way grease.

Racer's Choice #7040

Also Serpent sells OWB lube #1680 and X-Ray #30 9580

Hope this helps.

Wasnt even for me, but yes it did help!! I always like more stuff floating around in the pit box, lol.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:48 AM
bakersfield basher

My truck has lube from the factory oozing out the shaft under the tension spring is this grease your problem?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:19 AM
dgz69er

possibly, I'm not sure where the oily stuff is coming from exactly. There is an area where it looks like the something is being thrown from behind the flywheel. and I'm sure that where it is getting on my owb from. I haven't had a chance to run my shock since I cleaned everything with nitro cleaner. I went and bought an inside dust cover to try and cut down on that. But if its throwing it on the tranny shaft from any point. It will still work its way down the shaft and cause problems with the one way again. Hopefully I will get a chance today to take my truck out and try to run it. I'm not too fond of tearing engines apart, but if it keeps throwing this oily stuff. I guess I will have to. Tends to make me think its lubricant from the fuel.

Either way I think I have the problem figured out. I have it half way fixed. I'm just not sure how to fix the engine if thats what is throwing out the lube. Unless something is leaking from the fuel line or the carb. Either way its an annoying problem.

If anyone else has any insight. Please throw some suggestions out.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
bakersfield basher

If your gas has to much oil in it and it's not burning off it will come out the bearings or bushings. this is the biggest problem for your one way on your pull start slipping but on the 2 speed it probably grease from the factory.[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 08-29-2006, 06:02 PM
dgz69er

Well I was finally able to take my truck out today. It was performing just fine. I took the one way out last night and cleaned it really well. Then stuck it back on today and took the old shock outside for some fun. The OWB was grabbing great today. I'll just have to keep an eye on it from now on. Hopefully its a one time deal. I am probably going to reroute my fuel line, or atleast put a shutoff valve on the aftershock. It seems to flood real easily. Let me restate that. I am going to reroute the fuel line, cause I don't really like where it is. And I am going to put a shutoff pincher thing on the line to keep it from flooding. I had a horrible time trying to get it started today. Atleast now I can finish getting it broke in, and start tuning it to where I want it to be.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
bakersfield basher

Hey just a tip on my m26ss the lsn is almost 4 turns out and it runs good hsn is at 3 1/2 it likes to run fat so if its not doing so well leaning it out might not be the way to go but try it both ways, mine if I tuned it in one hour at a time it would take a year to tune I did it 1/2 a turn at a time and then fine tuned it.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 08-29-2006, 06:58 PM
dgz69er

I'll keep your settings in mind. I know my settings will be a fair amount leaner. Most cause I live at nearly 6000ft above sea level. I am hoping to get some good time in on the shock this weekend. At some point I'm going to switch out the shocks springs to stiffer yellow ones. I think that once the truck gets good and broken in. It is going to be a really strong motor. I've got high hopes for this truck. I think it will be good.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
bakersfield basher

Cool I just changed out my plug with another os#8 and I had to re tune it again, I had to lean hsn and lsn a 1/2 turn each and it ran hotter but more smoke. The m26 messes with my head I'm so used to .12 .15 & .18 motors but this one has me saying *** every day, I'm gonna run it hard till it dies and get a .28 ........Its not the worst motor my picco .21 could change its tune 3 times in 1 tank and then id have to reset the needles so I could get it started the next time.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:12 PM
br052602

http://h1070096.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...sp?prod=SUL699

you can get some one way bearings lubricant from sullivan, click on the link above..