Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

New to this - Aftershock Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:26 AM
jmarsiello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this - Aftershock Questions

I spent most of my afternoon yesterday reading almost every thread on this board so please go easy. I'm also brand new to this sport out side of my Grasshopper II that I haven't used in years. My buddy got a Revo 3.3 and although very fast I want a monster truck. I want an LST2 mainly b/c of reading all these threads but I can't get over the price of the Aftershock. This MT will not be race and will be used for straight up fun but I don't wanna be the guy with the lame duck truck (theres a lot of ego going around). I looked for a used LST2 but can't find one. So my questions are, if I go with an aftershock.....

a) Will I be disappointed with the engine speed and performance? You guys have said it's gutless. Any top end speed?

b) I don't want a savage but is the aftershock on par with the performance of a Savage X or is it better?

c) Will changing out the stock pipe on the Aftershock increase performance considerably right out of the box? I read it's restrictive.

d) Anyone new with an aftershock wanna comment about theirs?

Thanks to all that respond.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
KILL--ROY

Default RE: New to this - Aftershock Questions

The mach is a fine motor, mine rips, it is also easy to tune. The truck will be fast out of the box. I have a savage .25 and it is a good truck, stay away from the x. Changing the pipe will help performance. I just ordered my Aftershock, I think it will be a great truck for someone who runs in the backyard most of the time. I have owned about every truck on the market, and they all have their ups and downs, also the forums are a good place to get information, but dont believe every thing on here. Some of these guys will jerk your chain. Get the truck that appeals to you and your needs. They are all about the same in performance. All trucks will break if you abuse it
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
dgz69er

I actually own an aftershock. Any who says the truck is crap has never ran it.

The differences aren't that big between the two. If you are looking for a truck that is pure fun. The shock is great.

The A-arms are NOT weak like everyone says they are. I have jumped this truck over 45ft. I have taken nasty landings and still haven't broken anything. I do recommend a rollbar to protect your engine. The m26ss is pretty much a mach .26. I have a savage and so does my buddy. My shock will rip both of them apart in all aspects with the exception of durability. I have NOT had troubles with the pull start. At first you will feel like you are missing out by not having reverse, but you really don't need reverse. Not having reverse makes you a better driver. Even though the radio is a.m. It is still a nice radio. No its not a 300 dollar jr radio. It is however a hell of a lot better than the tq on your buddies revo. People have complained about the tires ballooning. I have not had an issue with this.

People keep mentioning B.S. about needing to upgrade your truck with the lst2 kit. People are full of crap. If you get the engine in a good tune. You will never need the rotostart option. Which is a plus if your truck dies 200 yards from your starter. All I do is stuff my glow plug ignitor in my back pocket and I'm good. The stuff that people have mentioned being bad on the aftershock is a bunch of crap. If your looking for a racing truck. Don't buy it. If your looking for a truck to have fun with. Its one of the best things out there.

The problems I have had with my shock.

Some grease got in the one way bearing on the two speed. Easy fix. I sprayed it down with nitro cleaner and wiped it off. Haven't had a problem since.

The throttle servo is a bit weak. All stock throttle servos are weak. Deal with it until you can put something stronger on it.

I had a shock blow. Mostly my fault because I put 60 wt shock oil in the rear shock.

My upgrades. These are due to a variety of different reasons.

lst 2 shock casings. The only difference *other than springs and possibly oil* between the two is the aluminum casing. They are the exact same shock. I replaced my stock shocks with the aluminum ones, because I blew the plastic one before and it took away from the integrity of the shock after it got blown.

throttle servo. I used a jr590m steering servo for my throttle. It increased the brakes very very well.

steering servos. I upgrades to some hitec 645mg *i think, can't remember the exact number* steering servos. I play in dirt lots and wanted stronger servos. This was a personal choice. the stock 590's worked great. I moved them to other trucks that needed stronger servos.

I recently swapped the engine out. I did this because of a crash with my savage. I put the m26ss on my savage, and a GOOD wasp .28 on my shock. I did this because I didn't want my savage to have more power than my aftershock. If my savy had more power than the losi. Then I wouldn't ever play with the losi again.

Metal clutch shoes. I'm not very fond of plastic clutch shoes.

Advantages over your friends revo.

1/8th scale!!!!!!!!
Better radio
A big block engine
Larger fuel tank
Much more rugged truck
A ton more torque.
3 shoe clutch vs. 2 shoe on the revo
metal gear tranny, and cvd's vs. plastic tranny and plastic drive train
better differentials
better shocks *purely personal thought*
You can run fuels other than traxxas and be ok * i hate traxxas fuel*
aluminum diff housing
Many more engines choices if you decide to upgrade.

You will not take your buddy top end, and in a track race he will have the better racing truck. You however will have something that is more durable and just an all out stronger truck.

I hope this has helped.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
KILL--ROY

Tell it like it is BRO
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 PM
dgz69er

I'm just sick and tired of people putting down the aftershock. Especially when they don't own one or have never ran it.

I love the thing.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 PM
jmarsiello

You guys have been great! I went to the LHS the other night before I even knew about the Aftershock. I wanted to look at the Savage, they told me a great deal about the Savage but told me to check out the Aftershock and praised the Aftershock. I would have bought it that night but I wanted to research it. Upon my research I became very confused but thanks to you guys I can say I'm going with the Aftershock. I'd continue saving for the LST2 but I want a MT now and I look at upgrades as part of the fun. I'll be playing with it in New England woods so racing unless on a baseball field is out of the question.

Where is the best place to look for bodies? I saw a Land Cruiser body once and never saw it again.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:10 PM
ross_jsy

no offence but we dont put down the aftershock...we just compare it to the better lst/2 and think it is overpriced for what it is. dgz, if your tyres arent ballooning then you arent going fast enough/havent got a good tune as any set of tyres will balloon, just with the lower profile atx's(lst tyres in case you dont know) you don't notice it as much.

also there arent many more engine choices, in fact you could possibly argue there are less engine choices as the revo has a choice of all the small blocks and with a cheap conversion kit you can use big blocks, you try hauling an lst/shock around with a sb

im not putting down the shock, in fact i think its a great way for people to get something like an lst but for a lot less. i just think its expensive considering the extra's you get with the lst/2
Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Yeah, but I heard second hand on the internet from someone who has never owned one that it sucks, just because you own one does not make you a expert.

I'm just kidding of course!! I think it's a great platform and the beauty of it is that you can upgrade to LST2 CVD's and axles on the cheap later, if you want.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
dgz69er

ORIGINAL: ross_jsy

no offence but we dont put down the aftershock...we just compare it to the better lst/2 and think it is overpriced for what it is. dgz, if your tyres arent ballooning then you arent going fast enough/havent got a good tune as any set of tyres will balloon, just with the lower profile atx's(lst tyres in case you dont know) you don't notice it as much.

also there arent many more engine choices, in fact you could possibly argue there are less engine choices as the revo has a choice of all the small blocks and with a cheap conversion kit you can use big blocks, you try hauling an lst/shock around with a sb

im not putting down the shock, in fact i think its a great way for people to get something like an lst but for a lot less. i just think its expensive considering the extra's you get with the lst/2
You are correct to an extent. Yes the tires do balloon, but they don't balloon nearly as much as other tires I have seen balloon. They come nowhere near the same ballooning amount as the hpi tires I once had on my tmaxx did. They also don't balloon as much as the tires on my savage do. Nor do they balloon as much as the stock tires on my rc10gt. I'm not saying they are the best tires in the world. I'm just saying they are not as bad as I have previously read on this forum.

Also people have put down the aftershock on this forum. I have read through many of the threads on it, and I have argued on its behalf many times.

Fine then you compare it to the better lst/2. Alright you name something to me that is better on the original lst than the aftershock. Excluding the radio, the reverse servo, and the high/low transmission. The aftershock is a cross between the lst 1 and 2.

I'll respect what you have to say about the engines. Your right you can use a conversion kit on a revo to use a big block, but how many times have you read about people shredding their tranny. Due to someone going out and putting something like an o.s. .30 in their revo. I read through the traxxas forums, as I'm sure you do too. It has been mentioned a fair amount of times.

I understand the extra's. Yes they certainly are worth the extra money. However considering want certain people are looking for. Its not always needed. I don't use reverse. I put a forward conversion only kit in my tmaxx, I disabled the reverse on my savage, and I didn't want it on my aftershock. I don't care about the high/low gears. As for the radio. I wouldn't have minded a better radio, but I didn't see the need for it at the time. It doesn't bother me that I don't have the greatest radio in the world. This is a hobby to me. Its just for fun.

Better yet let me ask you this. Have you actually ran the aftershock?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 PM
BVM

Problem is, you will always have those people that will remind you their higher spec version is better. The STi guys talk down to the WRX guys. The WRX guys talk down to the Impreza 2.5i guys etc etc... Who cares! Its your money and your 'toy' enjoy it bro!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:15 PM
jmarsiello

I didn't mean to rattle anyones cage. There is always better. I just wanna know if the Aftershock was a good value play and I feel that it is. Like I said earlier tweaking and upgrading is part of learning and is fun.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
cookiebomber451

i got a question, i run a shock and a 8ight, on my shock the steering servos r messed up, when i turn the system on, the wheels should be straight, but they won't, instead the always wanna turn to the left, it never did this when i first got it, and now for some reason it wants to turn left, i never to the servo saver plastic parts off, and it has nothing to do with trim cause i reset the radio, i have no clue wat is rong with it, any ideas, and no i did not get wet
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
str8jailbird

ORIGINAL: cookiebomber451

i got a question, i run a shock and a 8ight, on my shock the steering servos r messed up, when i turn the system on, the wheels should be straight, but they won't, instead the always wanna turn to the left, it never did this when i first got it, and now for some reason it wants to turn left, i never to the servo saver plastic parts off, and it has nothing to do with trim cause i reset the radio, i have no clue wat is rong with it, any ideas, and no i did not get wet
It actually sounds like the same prob I had on my Baja 5B SS a while back. It ended up being a slightly bent steering arm. That changes the throw and the tow in/out which greatly affects the driving of the car/truck. Never had that problem on the LST2 just because it doesn't weigh close to 25lbs when jumping it [X(]. As far as this thread I agree with the majority on here. No, I haven't owned an Aftershock but from those who do and the folks I know who have them they are a great truck. The differences are mainly in the engine and driveline between the 2 and if you want to you can upgrade later. I really don't think that it would be needed if it just for a bashing backyard runner IMHO. When you look at the 2 trucks almost EVERY single component is interchangeable on the 2 from the tires to the body posts. Since the introduction of the new XXL by Losi the LST2 prices have been dropping dramatically. Almost 150 clams from when I bought on last February. Regardless if you get the AFT you won't be disapointed, the Losi trucks are durable and a blast of fun. welcome to the Nitro rc world jmar! Enjoy it, I am constantly introducing more people here to the RC scene since it seems few of us are around the SW PA are.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
full maxx

hey man the shock is a great truck , you will have a blast without a doubt ...to be honest I got into this hobby with a cen genesis and it was a p.o.s and almost turned me off nitro but I decided to try the lst2 and without a doubt it is awesome ...to be honest I was a little scared to open it up for about the first half gallon then I got used to it and now it is full throttle until it is out of fuel the best tip I can give you is to read all you can about the care of the engine such as cleaning the air filter every 2-3 tanks , keeping under between 260-270 , after run oil , putting the piston down while its cooling and proper break in .. all these will make or break an engine , alot of people say the engine brace is most important to replace asap and I will agree with them because if/when it breaks you will have to replace it anyway along with the spur gears cause it will allow the engine to move slightly and will shred the gears but other than that it is pretty solid with several upgrades at a very reasonable price...so get one and drive it like you stole it and be sure to post how its going and pics are always good (action shots) feel free to ask any questions and for the most part most people on here are honest and will help also check out lstforuns for great ideas and tips and help
Old 12-01-2008, 08:11 PM
nitrorc89

the shock is a great truck have had mine for nearly a year now and it runs great everyday... i had a little trouble when i first got mine with airleaks but after i sealed it all up it ran great and i am very pleased
Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 AM
NitroVette

ORIGINAL: dgz69er

I'm just sick and tired of people putting down the aftershock. Especially when they don't own one or have never ran it.

I love the thing.

I love mine too, I don't need reverse so the forward only tranny appealed to me. I have a Savage .25 with a three speed and XL chassis conversion and I still think the Aftershock handles better. The Mach .26 is a great engine that keeps it's tune well and is much better than any HPI or Force RTR engine I've had. I like the LST platform because it's more like an 1/8 buggy or truggy than a "monster truck" , it's fast and it handles great.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:01 PM
cookiebomber451

there is no bent steering arms, idk, all i know is that i had the brake arm off that hits the breaks cause the part broke, and ever since i put the brake back on, its been acting up, i toke off the steering parts that make the wheels turn and move the throttle, it was fine with them off, i just wondering if maybe the screws were on to tight or somthing, but i don't want to run without brakes, its just that when i first got it, it never did this, and i want it to be back to normal, i really want to get it to work, plz help
Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Super Spider

I like my Aftershock, had it for more than 2 years now and it is awsome! I liked the price point then and it's even better now! I think you would enjoy the truck and if you like tinkering, there are tons of upgrades. First thing I would upgrade is the pipe, then the clutch & spur gears (I used the high speed TiNi set - requires that you use the LST2 system for mounting). Hope you enjoy it!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jmarsiello

b) I don't want a savage but is the aftershock on par with the performance of a Savage X or is it better?

c) Will changing out the stock pipe on the Aftershock increase performance considerably right out of the box? I read it's restrictive.
the M26SS is not that powerful.

For the price difference, ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend going LST2. the M26SS will get STOMPED by a stock Savage X 4.6, and you will not overcome that until you swap engines. the F4.6 in the X4.6 RTR is deceptively strong. the M26SS is more on par with the old F4.1 .25ci Savage engine...the Mach 427 will outrun the F4.6 though, if both engines are in Savages. It is believed by ThunderbirdJunkie that the LST2 and X4.6 should be similar in straight-line performance, stock vs stock.

ThunderbirdJunkie will have more answers next week when he has his Aftershock in-hand.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 AM
TheArsonist21

Arsonist thinks that you should never take anyone seriously that talks in the third person. Arsonist also feels as though such person or persons talking in the third person is absolutley retarded, and deserves a giant choclate chip cookie.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:43 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie concurs@the cookie.

And nice XJ...35x1250s?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 AM
ASYSTEMERROR

Hey don't bash the M26SS it's a great mill it's just got a bad rep for racing. lst's and aftershocks vs. ???? the truck will leave most trucks out of the whole BUT the truck top's out quick because of the racing gearing and then it's a sitting duck for savage's and other basher's with the same or close size motors with better bashing gearing. Other than that it's one of the two toughest monster truck platforms.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Not bashing it, it's just underpowered.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM
full maxx

ORIGINAL: TheArsonist21
Arsonist thinks that you should never take anyone seriously that talks in the third person. Arsonist also feels as though such person or persons talking in the third person is absolutley retarded, and deserves a giant choclate chip cookie.
not to sure I would take someone who's name represents a felony seriously either
Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Don't worry, full maxx, nobody will take your English-language-butchering self seriously either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.