Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Muggy break-in

Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muggy break-in

Hi, I think I'm done breaking in my Muggy but I never really got the temps up past 115. I idled it for a long time, and ran it in the gravel at about 2 mph. When I ran it, it was as rich as it could get. How do I tell when I am done with the break in?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 PM
scottywilkes

Default RE: Muggy break-in

dam mate well that aws the worst break in you could of done. If it dosnt get to about 200 then u are putting unnecesary strain on the internal parts. Why? Because the metal expandes adn if u run it at that temperature the piston wears more on the sleeve and can stretch the conrod. The best break in is to get it to 200 as soon as possible. this is called the heat cycle and is the best break in i believe. It gets the engine up to operating temp and produces a proper fit between the piston and sleeve. Search for heat cyle adn u will see what i mean.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

Do I need a new piston and sleeve already? I haven't even driven it. I put half a gallon of fuel through it with it around 100 degrees. I really don't know how to do this, I thought you couldn't damage it by running it with the temperature too low. Is there anything I can do to fix it. It took me forever to save enough money to buy it and it might take me a few months to save enough for a new piston and sleeve. Plus I don't know how to fix anything in the car. If I tried to take apart the engine I would probably never get it back together again. I don't know anything about how to maintain it. I have been putting after-run oil in it and cleaning the air filter every time I attempt to run it. I don't know bout any maintenance that I should be doing other than that. This is starting to get really depressing. Maybe I shouldn't have bought an RC car, my family hates it because of the noise.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 PM
nkbrisson

If you have put about a 1/2 gallon through it at that temp, it is very hard on the motor, but your motor is probly still ok for the time being, but if i were you i would lean out the hsn, set it to 3 to 3.5 turns out, then run it, let it warm up but check your temp regularly, once you can take a good run and your temp is between 220F and 260F and good smoke then you are in the safe zone, this is were you want it at all the time. Also a good tip is to mark your bottom dead center (piston at the bottom of the stroke) and when you park the truck make sure your piston is at BDC, this will keep it out of the pinch point and put less strain on your engine as well.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 PM
2DMaxLST!!

That engine should last at least 2 gallons even with that much wear and tear while it is in a high pinch state. Live and learn.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

Ok thanks. I have been trying to slowly lean it out. It used to go really fast when it started run out of fuel but it is not doing that anymore and when I put the roto-start in it it doesn't make the motor turn over. It just spins, eventually it will start to spin it when fuel is in it. I also had some screws fall out for no reason, one is for the steering. Only one wheel steers now.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I did that with a Sirio.18 in a Tmaxx years ago. I was so proud, I had a shop fan blowing on it keeping it cool through several tanks. It lasted a month or so.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 PM
RCtruckRacer

Well, if worse comes to worse, and you find yourself a couple months out and nothing to run, I will be at Peel-It raceway for a club race or two. We could always meet up there and I could help you out with whatever problems you may still be having. Its a bit of a drive for you - and BTW I could blindfold my mom and she wouldn't let me driver her over the Tacoma Narrows bridge - but its a lot farther for me! Anyway, I have a couple of spare motors and I am sure we could work something out. I am not sure when the club races start at Peel-it (in Marysville) but I will be up there for several of them. If you find yourself having problems in a month or two still, PM me because I will be up that way then.

Pig Harbor = Gig Harbor yes?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:26 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

That engine should last at least 2 gallons even with that much wear and tear while it is in a high pinch state. Live and learn.
OK so does that mean that I could run it? I was hoping to race it but I don't know enough about RC cars and I hardly know how to make it run, I know absolutely nothing about driving it. If worst come to worst and I end up buying a new engine I'm not gonna start with stock again. I'll buy a whopper big-block and pay someone at the hobby shop to do the break-in procedure for me, I will sit there with them and ask questions about tuning and maintenance. I've always wanted to race nitro RC cars and I don't plan to give up because of a bad start. Next time I'm going to start of the best I can and do my best to learn from others at the raceway. Until then I will be mowing lawns and washing cars for a long time. It makes me sick when people call nitro cars "toys", it makes me really pissed, thats like calling a quad or a motorcycle a toy. Scarcely do I even ever meet someone who has ever heard of nitro cars. When people hear "RC" they think of Radioshack toys, That is going to change in the near future. With how much the military is using armed RC vehicles their demand is going to drive RC technology through the roof. That doesn't mean your next RC car will come with a machine gun attached but look at the new Blade CX2 helicopter by Eflite. They doubled the range and lost the antenna, even the servos are feather light!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I had three years of bad starts, don't give up , run that engine and just break the next one in with heat cycles. Don't pay anyone to teach you anything.........sometimes, not always, LHS guys are so set in their ways they may not be the best source of advice........not always but sometimes. Read all you can and go to the track during races, even if you are not racing and meet people and learn.

I just broke in a new LRP Spec III with 24 heat cycles using only 4 tanks of fuel..............I have a video of how it runs, I will post it over at lstforums.com in a bit.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 PM
RCtruckRacer

Yes, hang out at the track whenever you can. For you that means Peel-it. They are the only indoor track that has 1/8th scale nitro trucks in the PNW. I'll see you there!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

What's the downside to electric? At the moment I feel like buying an electric car. They are just as fast as nitro, they are quiet, they don't smell, they don't require nearly as much maintenance, they have long run times and they don't need to be tuned or broken in. Maybe later I'll feel differently about this but I'm really upset with my Muggy right now because it takes so much work and I was expecting to be driving it off jumps the first day I got it. I've had it for a about 2 weeks and it hasn't gone over 2 mph. It's 10% running and 90% maintenance. I thought it would be like a weedwacker engine.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 PM
RCtruckRacer

Sometimes nitros can be a bear.... just remember, you have 45 minute mains to look forward to!!! Much better than triple A mains - especially if you bump up from the C main: That is over an hour and a half of straight racing!! No Breaks! Or at least only a couple of minutes!!!

That is the main difference! A mains. What a rush! Hmmm Check out this schedule. What looks good for you? I can go next month...
[link=http://www.peelitraceway.com/images/Winter%20Points%20Series.jpg]Peel-It schedule[/link]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
wfdfiremedic

Hey man,

Don't give up yet. Nitro RC does have a steep learning curve, but it will be very rewarding when you get the hang of it. I suggest that if you bought the truck from a hobby shop that you take it there and ask for some advice. Hopefully, they will at least get you on the right track and show you some basics. I also suggest that you take a couple of days and really read as many nitro forums as possible. Look at posts by people that have problems/tuning issues with their engines etc. Granted, not all the advice given is good, but it will point you in the general direction of where you need to go. You can search the internet for nitro tuning basics as well and start compiling as much information as possible.

When I first got a nitro I thought too that I was going to sell it that night!! I got terribly frustrated and thought of just turning back to my electrics. I learn something each day about nitro RC by reading forums etc. As you gain knowledge, the easier it gets!!

-Chris
Old 10-27-2006, 12:55 AM
KillerKiwi
Banned

ORIGINAL: wfdfiremedic

Hey man,

Don't give up yet. Nitro RC does have a steep learning curve, but it will be very rewarding when you get the hang of it. I suggest that if you bought the truck from a hobby shop that you take it there and ask for some advice. Hopefully, they will at least get you on the right track and show you some basics. I also suggest that you take a couple of days and really read as many nitro forums as possible. Look at posts by people that have problems/tuning issues with their engines etc. Granted, not all the advice given is good, but it will point you in the general direction of where you need to go. You can search the internet for nitro tuning basics as well and start compiling as much information as possible.

When I first got a nitro I thought too that I was going to sell it that night!! I got terribly frustrated and thought of just turning back to my electrics. I learn something each day about nitro RC by reading forums etc. As you gain knowledge, the easier it gets!!

-Chris
Thanks, I took the Muggy back to the hobby shop, they're ordering parts for me and have been running and testing it, they isolated the problem and it's the piston and sleeve being pressure locked, the are replacing parts and calling me on the phone to tell me how things are going, ALL FOR FREE!!! I highly recommend Hobby Outlet! They worked all afternoon on my car for free and wouldn't even accept a tip! They even took a carburetor off of a Muggy they were trying to sell just to test it on mine! [link=http://www.hobbyoutlets.com/]Click here to view their website![/link]

I have been doing some research on the Muggy and