Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Nova n528xr -vs- rex r528xr

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 PM
CESSPOOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nova n528xr -vs- rex r528xr

I know there is little to no difference in these, but that little could mean alot. From the web I can't find a diff, but is one going to be as good as the other power wise? Stupid Q maybe, but i want to be sure. And how many gallons of gas are one of these good for, I heard they are pricey to rebuild

And while we are at it why are they soo much better than everything else?

nova
http://www.novarossi.com/eng/motori/n528xr.htm
rex
http://www.novarossi.com/eng/motori/r528xr.htm
Old 10-28-2006, 10:07 PM
blackrain

Default RE: Nova n528xr -vs- rex r528xr

i dont think there is no difference between the 2 engines.IM RUNNING A NOVA KNOW so far the power has bin amazing. to me most novas and rb are much more reliable than most budget engines. they have a much longer life span and better re sale value plus you cant beat the performance
Old 10-28-2006, 10:20 PM
blackrain

im running the hot mod version 528xrp with roto start back plate on my cen nemesis if you can afford it go for it. you only live once
Old 10-28-2006, 10:21 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

There is no difference, if you notice there is only novarossi parts for sale, you cant really find the rex or top parts, I think for the other smaller engines they make you may but as far as the XR's and XS's they are all the same. There is a limit to the number of engines the italian government lets novarossi sell or something on these so thats why novarossi came up with the 3 different names. I have a Top 528 XRP and a novarossi 528 XRS, and other than the XRS being a hott mod they are completely the same internally aside from the mods. You cant go wrong with these engines, but if you arent an experienced tuner you could torch one of these babies and be set back quite a bit of money for a new piston and sleeve as these engines can be a nightmare if you arent on point with your tuning. I will say once you get them dialed in that it takes very minimal needle changes to keep them running in the sweet spot.

As far as my next engine its going to be a RB 928, I like the rossi's but I wanna try the RB, its suppoesed to a bad ****.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:25 PM
blackrain

that 928 should be sweet i would like to get a rb c6 bb for my truggy should be a screamer
Old 10-30-2006, 12:43 AM
EG1

I just put an RB TM928 w/ RB 2045 pipe in my LST2 racer, been having a bunch of clutch/tranny issues but I'll def post a review when I get her run-in and tuned.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:43 PM
claudacio

ORIGINAL: EG1

I just put an RB TM928 w/ RB 2045 pipe in my LST2 racer, been having a bunch of clutch/tranny issues but I'll def post a review when I get her run-in and tuned.

The more I keep thinking the more I want to go to a .21 for my muggy instead of the 928, but if I go with the 928 and end up getting rid of the mugggy (which I am famous for, buying something and selling it 2 weeks later because I dont like something about it) I could use the 928 for my LST, but thats a no go with the .21 so I am not sure what I'm going to do. I have one of my novarossi's in my muggy at the moment waiting for the tire glue to dry and some different shock oil, so I'll hopefully see what the muggy is all about this week sometime and see if a full blown race .28 is really necessary for it. The RB c6 is actually pretty close to the same $ as the 928 so its a toss up.

A few pics of my muggster with the TOP 528XRP changed over to an XR.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13479.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	551396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56677.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	533.2 KB
ID:	551397  
Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 PM
CESSPOOL

The 528xss has 3 ports as opposed to 8 ports in the xrs, what does the xtra 5 ports do?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:17 PM
CESSPOOL

ORIGINAL: CESSPOOL

The 528xss has 3 ports as opposed to 8 ports in the xrs, what does the xtra 5 ports do?

Anyone????
Old 11-05-2006, 02:31 PM
claudacio

I personally know on the XSS and the XRS theres a big difference in power, meaning the XRS has much more of it. Usually a 3 port engine is more of a bottom end engine and the more ports the more top end, but I kinda feel thats untrue as its just what I have heard, but it does hold true in this case. I have had a 3 port OS vspec that had massive top end, nothing like I've ever seen before.

But I have had both the XS and the XR, the XR is the animal of the bunch, very potent and very very powerful. The XS is somewhat mild mannered when directly compared to that but it is an effective engine, I dont know why more people dont run it, I guess it is expensive for a "decent" engine. I had it for awhile and it was a good performer, but understand, nothing (aside from the RB 928) will perform like the XR. On the track with the XS (P) in my LST I had no issue clearing anything or was it underpowered in anyway, it just doesnt do what the XR does.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Roscco

The upper range of the practicle rev range changes between all three, the Nova/Rex and Topp. Also the Topp has 2.85hp and the others have 2.87.

We all know the red cars are the fastest, so whats faster, black, blue or purple ??????
Old 11-19-2006, 06:13 PM
claudacio

ORIGINAL: Roscco

The upper range of the practicle rev range changes between all three, the Nova/Rex and Topp. Also the Topp has 2.85hp and the others have 2.87.

We all know the red cars are the fastest, so whats faster, black, blue or purple ??????

As far as the XR/P/S goes wiether it be top. rossi, or rex, there is no power differemce because the internals of all 3 of the engines are identicle all the way down to the porting specs, and I can tell you that from experience. At this present time, my rossi (purple) XR sleeve, piston and crankshaft is in my Top (black) crankcase. There is NO difference between the 3 as far as the XR series goes.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Roscco

ORIGINAL: claudacio

There is NO difference between the 3 as far as the XR series goes.

My good sir, I beg to differ :

THE TOP 528XR http://www.novarossi.com/eng/motori/t528xr.htm 2.85hp with a working rev range of 6.000÷ 39.200 rpm
THE REX 528XR http://www.novarossi.com/eng/motori/r528xr.htm 2.87hp with a working rev range of 6.000÷ 40.800 rpm
THE NOVA 528XR http://www.novarossi.com/eng/motori/n528xr.htm 2.87hp with a working rev range of 6.000÷ 39.700 rpm

I believe you when you say there is no (noticable) difference in power between them, and i agree that the internals must be the same but it's most odd that they all specify different rev ranges and power outputs.

As i said before, which colour is the fastest
Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 PM
RCtruckRacer

This question seems to come up every once in a while... There was a racer from Italy that frequented this board who said that their law only allowed the production of 'x' # of units for sale. Having 3 'models' allowed the production of more units. I can't make any claim to know that is true, but I can say that I actually called Novarossi and was told that while the overall design is the same on all units, there are subtle differences - For instance one might have an epoxy filled crank, or the carb might be slightly different on one. And no, they would not tell me specifically which one was what. For the most part, I would say they are close enough to be nearly identical.