Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

starting racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
xtm racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting racing

Hey i have had my lst2 for about 6 weeks or so and started to look into the racing scene for a bit more fun and have a few questions about tires for instance i know the stock atx tires arnt great for hard pack with a lose top surface so i was looking at 40 series bowties they look nice and aparently hookup very well but how much will they decrease my speed by roughly?
also what are the losi king pin tires like? i dont know much about them do they hookup similar to the bowties? i like them because there closer to the stock tire size so theres no speed loss.
also im putting oil in my diffs shortly to relplace the grease 10k rear 30k up front be good for hard pack with a lose top surface?

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 AM
duckedup

Default RE: starting racing

Depends on your track.. 1st I'd ask or see what other people at your track run.. but overall, I think these [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRO113400]Bow Tie MTR's [/link] are a better choice than 40 series. From what I've seen/read, they handle and hook up better than 40 series on most tracks.. you would need to get rims and adapters to run them though..

30K-50K up front and 10K rear is what most people seem to run (I run 30K-F/10K-R)..

I mess around at the track once in a while but I'm mainly just a basher for now, I'll be getting into racing next season, so we're kinda' in the same boat..... I just read a lot, so take my advice for what it is....
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 AM
2DMaxLST!!

It's different for different people of course but every time I have tried Maxx sized BT, MT sized and even MTR I always end up going back to Panther Pythons (Soft or Med Soft) on LOSI 420 series rims, on the LST. I PM'd XTM Racer with a link to a site with LST racing info from LST racers.

The LST2 comes with 40 series rims and strong (indestructible in almost a year of continuous racing) 20mm hexes. The stock LST LOSI 420 series (40 series wheel with a 20mm hex) are usually priced a bit cheaper than the ProLine equivalent so I run them.

Here's my 2 favorite racing tire setups...
LOSB7010 Team Losi 420-Series White Dish Wheels
OFN81102 OFNA Medium Molded 40 Series Foam Inserts - Yellow
PAHT150S Panther Python Monster Truck Tire (Soft)

OR.......

LOSB7011 Team Losi 420-Series Yellow Dish Wheels (LST2, Aftershock)
OFN81102 OFNA Medium Molded 40 Series Foam Inserts - Yellow (2)
PAHT150MS Panther Python Monster Truck Tire (Med-Soft)

Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 AM
2DMaxLST!!

[link=http://lstvideos.com/11182006/Roar_Region9_monster_qual.wmv]I am running med-soft in this video (yellow stock wheels and hexes)[/link]
Old 11-29-2006, 04:54 PM
xtm racer

thanks guys for your replys.
so from my understanding i can use the 420 rims with 40 series bow ties with out cutting correct?
last of all my main concern is the loss of top speed from running bowties is because the overall wheel diameter is smaller than stock. thats what i like about the kingpins there fairly close in sizing so not much top speed loss.
thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Yes your favorite 40 series racing tire should glue right up, my Panthers do. I run a FOC gear swap to get all the topend I need.