Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Axial .28 spec 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:10 PM
NitroDemon18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial .28 spec 1

The Mach is shot. I need an engine under $130. I dont want an STS .30 because you need a special pipe. I was thinking about an Axial .28 spec 1. Will my stock parts like my clutch, starter, pipe, etc. fit on this engine? Is it a direct drop in? Any feedback on its performance? Thanks.....
Old 06-30-2007, 03:31 PM
aer-wubby

Default RE: Axial .28 spec 1

What pipe? The 1S has mad torque, but not much top end. I run a TSAIS T32X for top-end with my 1S in my Hellfire SS. After every tank of fuel, I love the engine even more.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:54 PM
NitroDemon18

Is it easy to tune? Is the 3 needle carb harder to tune then a 2 needle carb?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
aer-wubby

Oh, it's very easy to tune.. Holds it very well. The midrange needle is left untouched. Just leave it at flus position and only tune the LSN and HSN. You CAN tune the mid MSN, but I heard it's VERY sensitive to adjustments. Not only that, it can knock off the tune in the HSN. I don't touch the MSN, and it runs great!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:21 PM
NitroDemon18

Thanks. Does anyone know if its a direct drop in and if it can take my stock parts?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:18 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see why not... I have this engine too in my Savage and absolutely love it.. Would be curious to see how it'd run in an LST2....
Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 AM
iexion

Yes the axial engine is a direct drop in. I have that very engine in my aftershock with alum clutch shoes and a LST2 "HT" pipe. Also it is a 3needle carb. You don't really need to tune the MSN but i did just to make sure im getting the right power for the mid range. With out a dought you will be pulling wheelies with that engine and exhause combo ( along with having the clutch shoes ) and if you don't have alum clutch shoes yet, then go out and pick up a set for around 20 bucks. That is one of the main upgrades that need to be done when you get a aftershock or Baja. I honestly went with the HT pipe because of the price ($30) and it being a better pipe then the stock one. Im just not sure if it's an "all around" exhaust like im looking for but either way its a good pipe

BE WARNED!!! i've done a bit of research on the engine and there was a few people who have had the head screws strip when they tried to take them out... i tried to do the same and sure enough they started to strip. Now i need to find a good tool that can get them out with out stripping them all the way!

And lastly. you should alwas take the engine apart and clean it out with some WD-40 and/or old nitro fuel. I did this in a not in use whipped cream bowl and was in shock to see what was left behind[X(] Other then those minor issuse im very happy with the engine
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 AM
iexion

Crap i just saw the part about a starter... what are you starting you engines with? the .28 spec 1 is a pull start and they do have a roto start back plate for it. being its made by the same company that makes the savage's 4.6 engine im thinking that they sare the same back plate.. that might be something u take the engine to a hobbie store to find out..

I got my engine for $112 FLAT ( no shipping cost )
Old 07-01-2007, 07:46 AM
NitroDemon18

ORIGINAL: iexion

Yes the axial engine is a direct drop in. I have that very engine in my aftershock with alum clutch shoes and a LST2 "HT" pipe. Also it is a 3needle carb. You don't really need to tune the MSN but i did just to make sure im getting the right power for the mid range. With out a dought you will be pulling wheelies with that engine and exhause combo ( along with having the clutch shoes ) and if you don't have alum clutch shoes yet, then go out and pick up a set for around 20 bucks. That is one of the main upgrades that need to be done when you get a aftershock or Baja. I honestly went with the HT pipe because of the price ($30) and it being a better pipe then the stock one. Im just not sure if it's an "all around" exhaust like im looking for but either way its a good pipe

BE WARNED!!! i've done a bit of research on the engine and there was a few people who have had the head screws strip when they tried to take them out... i tried to do the same and sure enough they started to strip. Now i need to find a good tool that can get them out with out stripping them all the way!

And lastly. you should alwas take the engine apart and clean it out with some WD-40 and/or old nitro fuel. I did this in a not in use whipped cream bowl and was in shock to see what was left behind[X(] Other then those minor issuse im very happy with the engine
What clutch shoes are you running?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 PM
iexion

losi alum clutch shoes. they are 20 bucks. Also im thinking about other flywheels
Old 07-01-2007, 12:56 PM
HerrSavage

The pullstart is really good.. Just make sure you loosen the glow-plug before every start, and you should be OK...(but don't forget to tighten it back up...)
Old 07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
NitroDemon18

Will the losi spin start backplate fit on the Axial? Will the flywheel fit also?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
iexion

the stock flywheel will fit but the spin start wont. the axial engine has a smaller back plate.

What i do know is that after looking for a spin/roto start system for the axial engine on there website, i did find a roto start system that would also fit on the savage 4.6 engine. So that lets me think that the roto start back plate that goes on Hpi's 4.6 engine will fit on the axial .28 spec one. And like i stated before, the axial .28 spec1 engine comes from the same factory that the 4.6 does... Some people say that those two are the same engine only in a different shells but the reps for axial say its a different engine (a bit more power)

Hope this helps
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 AM
NitroDemon18

Sorry for all the questions. Will these work in the engine and give it good performance? [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAP0&P=SM]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAP0&P=SM[/link] with this spring [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNJ81&P=M]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNJ81&P=M[/link]. Do you have a link to the backplate?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
iexion

I honestly can't say for those springs but for the cost of getting those you could save some money ( and time ) buy going with the losi alum clutch shoes. your LHS should have some

http://www.axialracing.com/details.php?Id=3272
Old 07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
NitroDemon18

The problem is I plan on ordering all the parts from towerhobbies. Tower doesnt carry losi parts. Do you know if any on towerhobbies will work on that engine and flywheel?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 PM
iexion

If you need losi then go with killerhobbies.com. thats where i found my engine on CLEARENCE!!![X(] ( those items have free shipping )

And you can find just about all losi LST/LST2/AFTERSHOCK ect. even the mini-t and mini lst-2

The shipping time for buy to receive was about 4 days...
Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
NitroDemon18

Killer doesnt have the Axial.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
HerrSavage

Although I prefer to tell people to go to slapmafro ( www.smfstore.com - but still, look there..), www.stormerhobbies.com often has killer prices for Axial stuff....
Old 07-04-2007, 01:22 AM
iexion

Ok so the story goes...

When i was looking around the formus i dont remember how but i came across a trend and something was mention about killerhobbies.com. So after checking out the site for a bit i found the engine on clearence and i asked the axial .28rr forums is this was a good engine. a few said it was a good engine and for teh price its a killer deal. was i didnt pay any attention to was the fact that the engine (now mine) was the only one they had left on clearence. so after thinking about it for a day i didnt want to miss the chance to get the engine for such a cheap price and be kicking myself later. If i didnt get this engine then i would of went with the K4.6. so im pretty happy with my engine. I thought killerhobbies sold a few of the .28rr's but i must have been looking at another website
Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 AM
HerrSavage

So you got the RR then?? Keep us posted then on how it works out...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Super Spider

Looking for good prices on the web, look up hopmeup ebay store, they have tons of parts, engines etc... very competitive pricing, maybe not as cheap as a clearance item, but they are great to work with! I personally have worked for them on a part time level for about a year now, and they really try to take care of their customers!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:58 AM
OFNAMAN
My Feedback: (3)

I just instaled the Axial 32. I did have to bevel the back of the flywheel just a hair so it would clear the bottom part of the carb. No biggy. took like 20 sec.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 PM
nitrojimbo

i need help with installation of my losi clutch in the axial 28 spec 1s. on the parts explosions on teamlosi.com it says theres a nut behind the flywheel but it doesnt fit in the hole in the back of the back of the flywheel. also should the clutch springs on the shoes be kinda jutting out on the sides cause im pretty sure thats right.

traxxas revo stock losi lst axial 28 cen nemesis tires
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 AM
iexion

The way the clutch should be assembled is
1 The fly wheel cullet goes on first ( a little gold colored small ring that goes on first before you put on the flywheel )
2 Next the fly wheel it self
2a You can either put the shoes on the flywheel before you put the fly wheel on or you can put them on now
2b The shoes/springs should NOT be loose or moving around " jiggling". Make sure the shoes are in the correct position
2c You can shim but we are not going to get into that
3 Ball bearing
4 Clutch bell
5 Ball bearing
6 Screw w/washer (so the clutch assembly does not come lose while running)

If you tighten the last screw in all the way and the clutch is "locked" then you need to tare it down and re-check to make sure everything is put together correctly. The clutch bell should ALWAYS spin freely and if it doesnt move at all, either a bearing is cracked and broken or the flywheel cullet is too large.

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.